applying to >1 field at same place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj2134

beaverlover11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i need to go to same place as my husband, is it okay to apply to more than one field at one particular place, or does this hurt all chances?

Members don't see this ad.

jj2134 said:
i need to go to same place as my husband, is it okay to apply to more than one field at one particular place, or does this hurt all chances?
Way-bad idea. Don't do it. That being said, if you are wanting an IM or FP program, you'd probably get 2 offers, but if you want something that takes more than a pulse to get, you'd better think twice. I've seen a few people do it, and it never works out.

Bad idea. Try to find a big city so there is more than one program you can apply to.

So say somebody doesn't know for sure if they are interested in Radiology vs. Ortho. Surgery and are trying to figure that out during their fourth year rotations. They shouldn't apply to both fields on September 1st (date ERAS opens) if there are some schools that you would apply to both of their programs (ortho and rads)? If that is the case, would they be better off just applying to the one field they may be leaning towards and then submit for the other field if they end up changing their mind?

jj2134 said:

Depends on how closely related the fields are. If you can make a case that you "can't decide" (ie, between FP and IM or Peds vs Med/Peds) rather than "I am willing to do any specialty as long as I'm in the same town as myu husband", you stand a chance.

If you choose the latter tactic, you will most likely be unsuccessful - no one, even a PD, wants to think you are using their program and their specialty just to get a job - when any other program and field would have been just as good.

There are several large cities which have many hospitals in the area from which you could choose; you two would probably be better off either doing couples match (if he hasn't already started somewhere else), or choosing a large city to try and match together if you can't choose between two dissimilar professions.

wilner2 said:
So say somebody doesn't know for sure if they are interested in Radiology vs. Ortho. Surgery and are trying to figure that out during their fourth year rotations. They shouldn't apply to both fields on September 1st (date ERAS opens) if there are some schools that you would apply to both of their programs (ortho and rads)? If that is the case, would they be better off just applying to the one field they may be leaning towards and then submit for the other field if they end up changing their mind?

I think it would look as if you couldn't make up your mind - these are very disaparate fields. IMHO, you might be better off choosing one or the other if you really can't make up your mind, or taking a year off (perhaps doing a Prelim year somewhere) and then applying for next year.

I'm glad this question was asked because I'm battling with the same issue, except in my case I would be happy at both fields and would like to give both a shot to see what happens. However, if I don't apply to both programs at some of the same places I'll decrease my chances of either getting accepted into specialty #1 or specialty #2.

So the question I have is do different programs at the same institution cross match each others lists to see if students are applying to more than one program? If not, then how will they ever find out?

I really need some help with this issue so please people give me you insight. Thanks.

MD Dreams said:
So the question I have is do different programs at the same institution cross match each others lists to see if students are applying to more than one program? If not, then how will they ever find out?

I really need some help with this issue so please people give me you insight. Thanks.

I'm not sure this has ever been verified. I know that our surgical faculty talks to subspecialty fields, but mostly about people applying for Prelim spots. I rather doubt that they would know, at least formally, about someone applying in a disparate field - unless the person's name came up haphazardly in conversation or the student was seen by someone from the other department while on campus interviewing for a different field.

Please correct me if I am wrong. So what everyone is bascally saying is that if I choose to Rank Radiology in Program X it would be ill-advised to also rank Internal Medicine in that same program as a backup plan?

androman said:
Please correct me if I am wrong. So what everyone is bascally saying is that if I choose to Rank Radiology in Program X it would be ill-advised to also rank Internal Medicine in that same program as a backup plan?

Very ill-advised. I can vouch that I have been specifically informed by a panel of residency directors from our school that this is a terrible idea. They said the hospital is a small place, people will know, and you will be rejected from both programs. They even went so far as to say that medicine in general is a small world and your name can come up between program directors of different schools if you are applying for different programs, it can hurt you. This notably happened to someone from the class ahead of me this past year and everyone at the school knows about it. Don't do it! Just go with your gut and choose one, if at all possible. If not, at least apply to the different programs at two different groups of institutions.

I think the expectation that PD's have that a 3rd/4th year Med student has to be in LOVE with only one specialty and devote the rest of his/her life to that specialty is ridiculous. Even ERAS allows us to apply to more than one specialty. So why can't PD's be cool with that? The whole system is screwed.

I appreciate everyones help.

MD Dreams said:
I think the expectation that PD's have that a 3rd/4th year Med student has to be in LOVE with only one specialty and devote the rest of his/her life to that specialty is ridiculous. Even ERAS allows us to apply to more than one specialty. So why can't PD's be cool with that? The whole system is screwed.

I appreciate everyones help.

i wouldn't blame the PDs for this. i think that most PDs would understand why someone would consider more than one field.

i think that it has more to do with the med students. when med students apply to a specialty, they act like they are absolutely in LOVE with the specialty, that it is their life calling, that there is nothing in the world that would make them happier than entering that specialty, that they would die if they didn't match into that specialty, etc.

so naturally, if a PD has a choice between an applicant who isn't 100% sure about a field and an applicant who swears that s/he has to enter the field, the PD will prefer the latter.

What about applying to something like FP and IM/Peds at the same time?

I think most of the responses here have been way too conservative and people are over-analyzing the situation way too much.

I would say, go ahead and apply to both specialties in the same university. Just make sure you write a separate essay for each specialty. So for example, if you're debating between ortho and radiology, you should have a separate personal statement for ortho and separate one for rads. Those are two very different fields. You might even have separate LOR's for each of which is fine.

The chances of either program director finding out are extremely remote ...

And the chances of either program director caring are remoter still ...

If you're good to them on paper, they're gonna invite you for an interview. And if you seem nice, well-mannered, well-groomed, and relaxed during your interview, they will rank you ... no if's, and's, or but's. They are not looking for doctors who are brilliant or smart or have academic or research potential(that comes with years of studying and experience). Rather, they are looking for someone who's dependable (i.e. comes to work on time, doesn't take time off for a sore throat, etc) and someone who won't piss off the nursing and ancillary staff (i.e. gets along well with others). It's honestly as simple and easy as that.

I myself applied to multiple programs (anesthesia, IM, EM, urology) within the same hospital. And when all the interviews were said and done, I ranked only the anesthesia ones (cuz during the interview trail, that's the field I decided on). I certainly didn't tell them I was applying for other fields, unless of course if it was for a prelim or transitional year. At the end of the day, I ended up matching in one of my top five choices for anesthesia (and that's as an FMG with no LOR from American attendings.)

This is an interesting topic. I myself have continually debated as to whether I should enter anesthesia or radiology as a career. Clearly, these are two very different fields. But, there are facets of both that I am very attracted to and it's essentially a wash for me when I add up the pros and cons for each. Thus, I am considering applying for both. Many students (i would argue even most) have a variety of interests and skills and would excel in multiple specialties. I think it's unfortunate that some people frown upon applying to more than one field.

However, I think that it's probably valid to say that double or triple applying can hurt you if certain PDs or programs catch wind of your plan. As such, I don't think it's wise to assume that PDs won't care as long as you're qualified and easy to get along with. As a result, those that choose the multiple specialty application route would be wise to be a bit veiled in the process.

For those that have applied to several fields, have you just obtained general LORs from your letter writers who aren't in the specialties you're shooting for? Many of my third year attendings are asking for personal statements and specific objectives, and I have just told them to write a general letter addressing my performance as a student and potential to perform as a resident. I hope that this is acceptable.

if you want a sure fire way to get you application side-lined this is it....
program directors talk...they know the candidates more than you think.
GME offices will share info of candidates they like but can't take with other GME offices.

In a nut-shell....bad bad bad idea.

the only way around it is to completely honest on you PS and maybe they'll take it into considration...but keep it speciality specific.
i.e. FP with IM/ MED-PEDS with FP/ never do FP with GEN SURG/ or IM with OBG

:)

matt
physicianliving

I did this when I was at that point, but I was gunning for ortho and if I didn't get a ortho spot I wanted a solid backup. My backup at that time was anesthesia, which was easier than it is now to get into, but none the less I had a couple of offers in my back pocket if I didn't get an ortho spot. I was extremely secretive and hardly anyone knew because they were completely different geographically, but it all was a moot point when I matched with ortho

I have a rather ignorant question - to apply to other fields other than your 'primary field of interest' whether for back-up or undecided, etc. for whatever reason, how do you take enough away electives for each one? For instance, someone who applies to anesthesia, ortho and IM, would you just do fewer aways, and take one of each basically? Are you asked about this on interviews when they see what electives you've taken, and see that unlike some other applicants, you didn't take most of your electives in the one particular field you're most interested in? I know you do electives in related fields, but still, aren't the majority expected to be in your primary field of interest?

thanks everyone.

You can always say I was curious about some of these other fields but I am now dead set on blah, blah blah. It's also easy to come up with excuses.
"I did anestesia because I wanted to be good at intubation during my internship"
"I did IM because it was really strong in critical care which I thought would be good for my internship"
Very easy see.

I think that APPLYING to more than one program in a hospital is harmless, but if offered more than one INTERVIEW at the same place, it would be wise to attend only one. You may very well go unnoticed in ERAS, but once showing up in person, you may cross paths with conflicting parties...Is this correct thinking?

i had similar ? about applying to 2 different specialties, ex. IM and rads. Should you ask for generic LORs?

so did anyone actually do this and got offered interviews at the same place in two fields?

If I am interested in two or three specialties, and there are programs for all available at the same institution that I would love to attend for whatever reasons: why would anyone care, and why would this be viewed negatively if they know? You should be able to openly do whatever you want. There are some seriously juvenile irritations that need to be gotten rid of in this whole process.

my thought is that PDs fear that if they rank a student who is less than committed to their field, there's a risk the student will bolt for a PGY2 slot in their preferred specialty. then the PD is short a resident, which i think is a pretty big fear on their part. especially if you're in a program that only has 3-5 residents per year. losing 20% of your PGY2 "staff" amounts to a helluva lot of hours that have to be made up somehow. if you apply to plastics and then gen surg as a backup, then match into gen surg you'd probably consider leaving after PGY1 if you could get a plastics spot somewhere, yes?

i don't think PDs are petty and want to feel you love their field the most, rather it's fear of the possible consequences of taking such an applicant that makes them leery of candidates who apply to multiple fields.

this is just my thinking - for people really considering this, you probably want to have a chat with your dean of student affairs to get their take on the topic.