Applying to both medical schools and masters programs as a back up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do individuals go about this? lets say I apply to a medical school and their masters program as a precautionary just so if I don't get in I have a back up plan. Will the colleges that I apply to both know? If I don't get in I would like to be able to start the masters with linkage immediately. I've tried finding posts like this but had no luck. Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: I have confidence in getting in to medical school but I like to look for the worst case scenario and plan for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I applied this cycle I had a similar line of thinking. I told myself I would apply broadly and if I didn’t receive interviews/acceptances by October I would apply to SMPs. Mid-late Fall is when most SMPs start taking applications and a lot of students don’t apply to them until winter-spring when they are panicking to find a plan B.

Reactions: 1 user
When I applied this cycle I had a similar line of thinking. I told myself I would apply broadly and if I didn’t receive interviews/acceptances by October I would apply to SMPs. Mid-late Fall is when most SMPs start taking applications and a lot of students don’t apply to them until winter-spring when they are panicking to find a plan B.

Makes sense. I just seen some of the deadlines were like may 4th and june 10. So I started to wonder wth I was to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense. I just seen some of the deadlines were like may 4th and june 10. So I started to wonder wth I was to do.
- These May and June SMP deadlines are for those wishing to start in July/August of the same year.
- So for this upcoming cycle, you will be applying summer 2020 in order to matriculate summer 2021. If by early 2021 you still have not gotten any acceptances, then think about applying to SMPs then.
- If accepted to the SMP, you will start summer 2021 (i.e at the same time of your med school matriculation if your cycle is successful).

Reactions: 2 users
- These May and June SMP deadlines are for those wishing to start in July/August of the same year.
- So for this upcoming cycle, you will be applying summer 2020 in order to matriculate summer 2021. If by early 2021 you still have not gotten any acceptances, then think about applying to SMPs then.
- If accepted to the SMP, you will start summer 2021 (i.e at the same time of your med school matriculation if your cycle is successful).

Thank you! That cleared up everything for me.

You can apply a bit later in the DO cycle for the Biomed program at PCOM. The deposit for that program is also a bit later so if you get a late admit you are not out the money. Not sure who in admission's handles the program but if you call them they will be glad to give you info. If you are close you can go to an open house and hear about the program.

You can apply a bit later in the DO cycle for the Biomed program at PCOM. The deposit for that program is also a bit later so if you get a late admit you are not out the money. Not sure who in admission's handles the program but if you call them they will be glad to give you info. If you are close you can go to an open house and hear about the program.

Awesome thank you so much for the information!

So for this upcoming cycle, you will be applying summer 2020 in order to matriculate summer 2021. If by early 2021 you still have not gotten any acceptances, then think about applying to SMPs then.
This is really good advice @Calizboosted76. I plan on doing the same when I plan to apply.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree wit my learned colleague.

Reactions: 1 users
I did exactly that with my MD apps, however...
Decided to move forward with my DO acceptance, instead of go thru an MD trail run.

DO schools have some very easy programs with direct passages to thier med schools (VCOM and West Virginia come to mind).

If your GPA is still below 3.0 by the time you are applying, I honestly would just focus all your budget on DO school apps. <3.0 is lethal for MDs.

I agree. Enrolling in an SMP is needed for MD.

If your GPA is still below 3.0 by the time you are applying, I honestly would just focus all your budget on DO school apps. <3.0 is lethal for MDs.

I agree, I am in a lucky state though and will only be targeting MD school on Goros reinvention list.