Applying to DPT Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhillyDPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My daughter is in process of determining which DPT schools to apply to. I'm trying to help her as she is concerned she will not get accepted. I'm trying to help her determine which schools may align with her grades and test scores. Her GPA is approximately 3.4 in core classes and her GRE is 151/155.

I haven't figured out how to determine which schools are easier/harder to get into. For undergrad you can see average SAT scores to get a gage.

Typically you want to apply to a "safety" school that you feel confident you'll get into as a backup and than apply to others that are harder or align with your geography/price criteria.

Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about easy schools to get into but I can advise that she should know whether or not the schools she is applying to have an "early decision" or not. I didn't know about the early decision and it ultimately kept me from getting into the DPT program at my alma mater and landed me on the waitlist instead. If there is a school she wants above all else and is positive she would choose to go there if accepted she should, without a doubt, apply for early decision.

Because I didn't do this I had to choose one of the other schools that accepted me and ended up paying out of state tuition (ugh). I like people to know that early decision actually does make a difference because when looking at my application and letter they assumed that if it was really my first choice school I would have done early decision. Don't make that mistake. Schools can only send so many acceptance letters and if they know for sure your daughter will enroll in the program if she is accepted they are more likely to offer her the spot.

Also, have her make a PTCAS account now so she can look up school prereq requirements that way. I thought it was the easiest way to find out information about schools and whether or not I had the necessary requirements to apply.

And I did think of a "safety school" btw: Touro Nevada DPT

Thank you. I use the word "easy" in relative terms. Just trying to understand how best to select schools that align with her credentials. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will have her look at early admission.