Applying to medical school 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fdsa2495

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so this is the first time I'm using SDN please bare with me. I have multiple questions and my pre-health advisor seems to know less than me, therefore I am using this network to obtain some information. I am applying to Medical Schools in June 2016. I will be taking the MCAT in May 2016.

Questions:

1. Is this too late to take the MCAT? I will receive my score towards the end of June and I understand that mos medical schools usually have a rolling admission process, so they will start selecting students as they apply, right?

2. Can I apply to a medical school before I receive my official MCAT score?

3. How does the early registration process work? According to the AAMC website, I can only apply to one medical school of my choice for the early registration. But what does this mean? And what school to most students apply to under the earl registration (I'm from California)

4. Do I need letters of recommendation for the primary application or for the secondary application?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Timing is fine (schools will not receive your app until July), focus on doing well.
2. Yes, but you wont be considered until your MCAT comes in.
3. You mean Early Decision? Don't do it unless you have very competitive stats and only want to go to one specific school for whatever reason.
4. You will submit them through AMCAS Letters service during your primary. You can add more letters even after being verified.

2. Applications aren't transmitted to schools until July 1st, so by the time they see your app your mcat score will be available.

3. Early decision is for people with extremely compelling reasons to stay at one med school (having children who are school aged and not wanting to move them, etc). You usually have to meet with the dean and be approved by the school to apply early decision. Almost no one applies early decision.