Applying to MSOT programs in the fall with GPA problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JQ353

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone's applying to MSOT programs in the fall of 2012 for 2013 school year. I currently have a GPA problem that limits me to a applying to only few select schools. I messed up my first 3 semesters and I'm currently sitting at a 2.5 cumulative. The schools I am applying to only look at the last 60 credits upon applying. My last 60 GPA if I apply in the fall would be a 3.3 and my prerequisite GPA would be a 3.4.

The schools I am applying to are:
Dominican University of California
University of St. Augustine
Towson University
Eastern Washington University
Grand Valley State
New York Institue of Technology
USC (just for kicks)

I was just wondering if anyones in the same predicament!

Members don't see this ad.

University of Minnesota
Nova Southern University

...are others you may want to consider

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you that Grand Valley's last 60 GPA of accepted students is around a 3.7 - 3.8 average. I had higher than that, but still was rejected. GVU is a great program, but it is important to learn what they look for specifically in an applicant. I know several people that applied and no one was accepted. Although GPA is important there, they look exceptionally close at LOR's and an achievement summary form that is unique to them. I had other schools tell me I had exceptional letters of recommendation, but I received a 8.7 out of 10.0 on Grand Valley's LOR ranking. They said the average was a 9.1?!?!?
As for their achievement summary, you MUST have a variety of research, education points, cultural and some other things. I missed their cut off score by like 1 point because I did not have any research. I scored high in other areas, but you can only receive a max number points in certain categories. So the moral of this rant is, you must know what you need for their achievement summary and be well rounded so your achievement score is high. However, they are extremely helpful by email so if you have questions and if you start speaking to them early enough you might be able to find out exactly what they want for that achievement summary.

Western Michigan Unv. - Also does last 60 GPA
Virgina Commonwealth Unv. - Last 60 (known to look for HIGH GRE scores).

You're already doing a great thing by looking at programs that will look at your strong points. If you have questions about GVU or Western Michigan let me know.
May want to check out Baypath and D'youville as well, I believe both programs look at more than just cumulative GPA.

I can tell you that Grand Valley's last 60 GPA of accepted students is around a 3.7 - 3.8 average. I had higher than that, but still was rejected. GVU is a great program, but it is important to learn what they look for specifically in an applicant. I know several people that applied and no one was accepted. Although GPA is important there, they look exceptionally close at LOR's and an achievement summary form that is unique to them. I had other schools tell me I had exceptional letters of recommendation, but I received a 8.7 out of 10.0 on Grand Valley's LOR ranking. They said the average was a 9.1?!?!?
As for their achievement summary, you MUST have a variety of research, education points, cultural and some other things. I missed their cut off score by like 1 point because I did not have any research. I scored high in other areas, but you can only receive a max number points in certain categories. So the moral of this rant is, you must know what you need for their achievement summary and be well rounded so your achievement score is high. However, they are extremely helpful by email so if you have questions and if you start speaking to them early enough you might be able to find out exactly what they want for that achievement summary.

Western Michigan Unv. - Also does last 60 GPA
Virgina Commonwealth Unv. - Last 60 (known to look for HIGH GRE scores).

You're already doing a great thing by looking at programs that will look at your strong points. If you have questions about GVU or Western Michigan let me know.
May want to check out Baypath and D'youville as well, I believe both programs look at more than just cumulative GPA.
Thank you so much for the advice, I actually didn't know too much about GVU. My top choice is actually Dominican.

I definitely feel like I am short on time to boost my application as I only have the summer left before I start sending in applications. I have been cramming in as many volunteer hours and observation hours and hopefully I will be able to get a good amount by the end of the summer. Another thing that is limiting me is that I am missing prerequisites for a few schools and they will not be complete until the end of December. So unfortunately I will be sending in a few incomplete applications.

I feel like I should wait for the next year when I have finished my bachelors and have everything ready to send to the grad school but I can't help but to give it a shot this year.

As for Baypath..I'm a guy haha and I think Baypath is a women's college. But I'll definitely look at the other schools.

Thank you so much for the advice, I actually didn't know too much about GVU. My top choice is actually Dominican.

I definitely feel like I am short on time to boost my application as I only have the summer left before I start sending in applications. I have been cramming in as many volunteer hours and observation hours and hopefully I will be able to get a good amount by the end of the summer. Another thing that is limiting me is that I am missing prerequisites for a few schools and they will not be complete until the end of December. So unfortunately I will be sending in a few incomplete applications.

I feel like I should wait for the next year when I have finished my bachelors and have everything ready to send to the grad school but I can't help but to give it a shot this year.

As for Baypath..I'm a guy haha and I think Baypath is a women's college. But I'll definitely look at the other schools.
You can also look at American International College. I think Baypath is only women's for undergrad.

I'm in the same predicament. My cumulative GPA was 2.6 from doing terrible in advanced calculus based courses in my first major, and those courses were taken almost 10 years ago. If I get an A in Physics and Chem this summer, my last 60 gpa will be the same as yours. I got mostly A's and a few B's in the pre-reqs I have taken. My cum GPA is even lower for OTCAS schools since they recalculate your GPA without using grade forgiveness for retaken courses. I wanted to apply for Stonybrook (2.5 minimum GPA) but they do a 3rd, entirely separate GPA calculation, using every math class and science course you have ever taken. It's amazing how classes like advanced calculus based Cloud physics from 10 years ago will affect my ability to get into OT!

Are you taking courses over the summer?

I'm in the same predicament. My cumulative GPA was 2.6 from doing terrible in advanced calculus based courses in my first major, and those courses were taken almost 10 years ago. If I get an A in Physics and Chem this summer, my last 60 gpa will be the same as yours. I got mostly A's and a few B's in the pre-reqs I have taken. My cum GPA is even lower for OTCAS schools since they recalculate your GPA without using grade forgiveness for retaken courses. I wanted to apply for Stonybrook (2.5 minimum GPA) but they do a 3rd, entirely separate GPA calculation, using every math class and science course you have ever taken. It's amazing how classes like advanced calculus based Cloud physics from 10 years ago will affect my ability to get into OT!

This drives me crazy as well! How can they compare GPAs when the degrees aren't the same? Some fields are harder and require more work than others. I'm not saying one is more important than another or anything, I'm just saying that they are not comparable.

I did the 2 upper division PSY prereques this semester. I kid you not, I never read the book, only showed up a few days and am still getting A's. Compare that to some of the math, science or language classes that I took-- some that required 4 hours or more a day to get a B in! Comparing GPAs in such varying degrees is like comparing apples with orangutans.

Last edited:

It sucks indeed, but my poor grades weren't due to class difficulty, I just down right screwed up my freshman year.

I'm not very sure how OTCAS works, I'm still quite the noob when it comes to applying. I know some schools will take the higher grades of the two when you retake courses but I am not sure if they use OTCAS. Dominican looks at your higher GRE and course scores but they do not use OTCAS.

I am taking an Abnormal Psych course and Human Development course over the summer. How about yourself? What schools are you currently looking at? I see that you're interested in Stony Brook, any other schools?

The only pre-reqs I have left are Chem and Physics because they expired. I live in NYC so I'm still applying to SUNY Downstate and Stonybrook, even though they're long shots, and possibly NYIT and weekend programs such as Philly U and Misercordia (also long shots probably). Depending on what the accreditation status looks like in the fall: York and possibly Kean. I'm basically trying to narrow down schools on the east half of the country that look at the last 60 credits or seem less crazy competitive despite a 3.0 min gpa requirement. Also applying for every school in NY state that I have all the prereqs for and that I can afford. Still narrowing it down though. I hear that OTCAS schools are flooded with applicants due to their centralized system, so they tend to be more difficult to get into.

The only pre-reqs I have left are Chem and Physics because they expired. I live in NYC so I'm still applying to SUNY Downstate and Stonybrook, even though they're long shots, and possibly NYIT and weekend programs such as Philly U and Misercordia (also long shots probably). Depending on what the accreditation status looks like in the fall: York and possibly Kean. I'm basically trying to narrow down schools on the east half of the country that look at the last 60 credits or seem less crazy competitive despite a 3.0 min gpa requirement. Also applying for every school in NY state that I have all the prereqs for and that I can afford. Still narrowing it down though. I hear that OTCAS schools are flooded with applicants due to their centralized system, so they tend to be more difficult to get into.

uh oh..when does a class expire? I took my stats class 5 or 6 years ago

uh oh..when does a class expire? I took my stats class 5 or 6 years ago
I think it depends on the school, I saw on Towson that you had to take anatomy and physiology courses in the last 5 years but they didn't say anything about the other courses.

From what I've Seen most classes need to have been taken within 10years except for A&P hat needs to be 5 years or less.

It def varies. At downstate, they never expire. At most schools, only the science pre-reqs expire, and its usually after 10 years. For some schools, like NYU, its after 5. There's a few that want every single one of your courses within 5 years, but I don't recall which.