Applying to MSW program after deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSW Hopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking around for quite a while and have found the info here EXTREMELY helpful. I have a question that I am hoping you guys can help me with.

I am a graduating senior at a NY SUNY university. I have a 3.6 gpa, extensive human service work and volunteer experience and great recommendations. I am very interested in pursuing a MSW. Recently, I have really fallen in love with several programs in California (primarily USC and Cal State Long Beach). My problem is that I won't be ready to apply to either of them by the application deadlines. Does it make sense to apply to a school if you know that you won't meet the application deadline? Or should I sit out a year and wait until the next application period to apply for next year? I know that the common advice would be just apply to other schools with later deadlines or rolling admissions but I'm really not interested in any schools outside of the Southern California area and they all seem to have the same deadline. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

In case you are wondering why I won't be ready by the app deadlines, I'm including this background information.
My school has a totally foolish bureaucratic policy in which our degree plan must be approved before our official transcripts are complete. It's like an audit where a committee makes sure that students have taken all of the required courses for the degree. I transferred to my current university and my official transcript won't show my transfer credits (which make up the bulk of my degree actually) until my degree plan is approved which probably won't happen until the end of April. Right now, my official transcript only shows the 30 credits that I have taken at my current school. I know that when people apply to grad schools all of their courses may not have been taken and thus are not reflected on the transcript, but sending a transcript from the university that I will be graduating from with only 30 credits on it seems insane. Even when I include my transcript from my previous institution it will look like my current school didn't accept any of my previous coursework. So I'm thinking that it would be best to wait until I have an approved degree plan and a transcript where all of my accepted transfer credits are reflected.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I see that 54 of you lovely readers have taken the time to read this post and yet not one has replied. If ANYONE has any ideas or suggestions, I'd really like you to share them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would encourage you to apply when you can to the two programs you mentioned, but you might want to consider including a brief addedndum to your application explaining the situation with your undergraduate degree, so that the admissions people know why the application was late. You should know, though, that this year applications into MSW programs in southern California are high (probably due to the economy) and that its a particularly competitive year for people wanting to start grad school this fall.