Applying to MSW programs right after college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thereader01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in becoming an LCSW specifically to practice psychotherapy, and perhaps (one day) in a private practice. I am undergraduate at a well-ranked university with a 3.7 GPA as a philosophy major and psychology minor. If I were to apply to MSW programs, I would like to apply to those that are most clinical -- Smith, NYU, and Hunter (with Hunter, I am actually not so sure how clinical it is so if anyone has any information that would be greatly appreciated). I am concerned with how much experience (work, life, internships) is desired from an MSW program. Clinical work is tough, so I understand the importance of experience, but it also seems that, after the BA, a masters is the next step. I would rather devote my early life to education than to continue education as an adult, especially since I (without a doubt) would want to do further education at a psychotherapy (probably analytic) institute if I were to pursue this line of work.

How common is it for undergraduates to apply immediately after graduation to MSW programs? Are there a lot of young MSW students? Do you need much work experience? And, generally speaking, how young is too young, in your personal opinion to be a therapist?

Any information would be of help. sorry for so many questions.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a group of 15 students in my cohort who went from high school, undergrad, to grad school. On other MSW grad school forums you will find that it's normative. I went from undergrad and right into my MSW program but I feel I may not be as young as you are.
As far as work, life, and volunteer experience it varies. I didn't apply to any of the schools that interest you so I can't speak to their admission requirements. Attending an info session (physically or virtually) or even calling admissions can help you understand how much they value work experience. Some of the students in my cohort never worked but did have volunteer experience. I would think that relevant volunteer experience of some sort is standard.
How young is too young to be a psychotherapist? I'm not sure that age is a huge factor to me. I think experience (which takes time) , quality education, and advanced training will serve one well. I've seen some argue that lived experiences play a role in it as well. This question is certainly subjective. Somebody who goes to undergrad and grad right out of high school without a break will likely be 23 or so upon graduation. They will need a minimum of 2 years to be licensed at the independent level. Give them another two-three years to get more experience and get on insurance panels and start there own private practice. Would you want to see a 27-28 year old psychotherapist?

Reactions: 1 user