Air Force Applying to multiple specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthopilot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to 2 specialties during a single residency application cycle that can expound on how the process works? I am a 4th year AF HPSP student who recently applied to Orthopedic Surgery and didn't match. I am a competitive applicant who had several civilian ortho programs interested in taking me pending a civilian deferment which unfortunately didn't happen. I will be doing a civilian transitional year and plan to reapply to Orthopedic Surgery, but I am considering applying to a second specialty as I know it's an uphill battle not matching the first time around.

Do they require an ADT in the second specialty? I'm assuming you need to set up an interview with the 2nd specialty as well. If so, do they know that it is your 2nd choice during the interview, especially since they'll have access to my personal statement? It just seems like a strange situation. Has anyone actually been selected for their 2nd choice? Any insight into how the process works would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to interview and they should know that it's your second choice since they'll have your application. You shouldn't need to do an ADT. For situations such as yours, your best bet is to call the physician education branch and ask for guidance.