Applying to only one school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HunterPB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the terminology is the same as w/undergrad, "early decision," but I understand you can do such a thing w/med school. Does anyone have a sense for whether this gives you an edge, and if so, how much?

By the time I finish post-bacc, I should be a reasonable (not super-competitive, but reasonable and will have done a couple of yrs of volunteer work @ the school's hospital) candidate for the school I strongly prefer to go to.

So, does it give you an edge? Is it worth the gamble to then have to apply late to other schools in case of rejection?

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to the admissions ppl at the school. They will tell you if gt makes sense to apply EDP.

at most schools it doesn't give you an edge. The main reason to do it is if you have a strong reason to only want to attend that school, such as your family not being able to relocate. You need to be a strong candidate for the school. Basically by applying EDP, you're saying your desire to go to that particular school is so strong that you'd rather risk not getting in anywhere and sitting out a year, than consider going somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and was accepted via EDP. I think every school looks it a little differently. The best thing you can do is talk to the admissions people at your school of interest. They won't be able to advise you too well until you have all your grades and your MCAT in hand.

I was in a position where I really wanted to attend one school over all others. My thinking was that applying EDP was the best way to show my desire to attend that school. If you don't get a good vibe from the adcom, then I would not apply EDP. About the last thing you want is to have your app held up while you are waiting for a decision and then get rejected. You would be applying very late to other schools and that would put you at a disadvantage.

Anyone out there have a story about getting rejected after applying EDP? I know this happens, but I can't remember ever seeing a post from someone with firsthand experience.

I was EDP this cycle. My family was not keen on moving and I have ways of earning pretty good money here in town on the weekends ( working casual an an NP in the ER ). I wanted to make the best go for MSU that I could.

Last spring, I scheduled a phone consultation with the assistant dean and told her all of my stats and asked her if she felt I made a COMPETITIVE EDP candidate. She encouraged me to apply EDP to her school and it worked. On our interview day, there were other EDPers and I have learned they did not get in. So, it doesn't work for everyone.

I don't think EDP increases your chances of getting into medschool. It MAY increase your chance at one school, but most likely decrease your chances overall.

Good luck to you.