Applying to other professional programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brawndo2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether anyone that has been accepted over the past few years felt that reporting they were also applying to other professional programs (allo/osteo) negatively affected their potential for acceptance. Multiple threads with similar concerns are available, but a good deal of them deal with whether or not to indicate this on the application. I will be indicating this on my application as it is simply the truth. I am applying both osteo and podiatry as my experiences have shown me that I like primary care as equally well as I like podiatry. Neither is a safety, or backup, for the other. Choosing between them has been like trying to decide which valuable to save in a fire. Both careers are dissimilar to the point that the merits of each stand on their own. I cant see myself being one over the other based on those merits alone. I just can't decide which I like best and have decided to narrowly apply to both and let the process help make up my mind. Seemed better than a coin toss. If engaged in a conversation about this during an interview I do believe I can intelligently explain my thinking, as well. Anyway, should I expect significant negative fall out over this or is it more common than not to apply in this manner?

Members don't see this ad.

I had applied to MD the same cycle iI had shadowed DPMs as I was applying MD. More of an alternate path than a backup because at the time I was starting to second guess if I wanted to do the MD programs and my competitiveness. I didn't get in to the one in state MD program I seriously applied to and interviewed at. After shadowing at least 30hrs with 3 very different podiatrists I realized it was a good fit for me. I disclosed it on my DPM application. I only interviewed at Temple and NYCPM. If you've read interview forums you probably know how relaxed the temple interviews are so they didn't bring it up. NYCPM did very bluntly ask early in the interview and I explained my story. The interviewers seemed to trust me. I got into both schools with scholarship. There may be an additional information box on the application to briefly explain if your that worried but I didn't do that. Feel free to private message me.

Reactions: 1 user