Applying to Pharmacy School during Second Year in College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercerpharmacist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So I am a current undergrad (Freshman) , who also brought in a couple of AP/IB credits which have counted towards my Pre-Pharmacy requirments. I am confident that I want to be a Pharmacist, and I can't see myself doing anything else.

Disclaimer: I am aware of the current job market and understand the Pharmacist job market has become extremely saturated. I am still confident that this is what I want to do, and have planned for this for much time.

So for a variety of reasons, mostly being personal and most importantly financial reasons, I want to enter Pharmacy school as soon as possible. This will allow me to save much money, as well as begin my dream of going to Pharmacy school sooner. I understand that college is a great time in life to develop and such, but due to once again financial reasons (I will be saving significant amounts of money, which is very important), as well as family reasons, I have determined that this is the best way to go.

There are in particular two pharmacy schools that I am eyeing, that have Pre-Pharmacy requirments that can easily be finished by the end of my Sophmore year, and institution requires the PCAT. Namley, these institions are South School of Pharmacy in Savannah, GA and LECOM School of Pharmacy in Florida.

I anticipate my GPA being at the time (and I'm being very conservative here for the sake of getting the most realistic answer, although I will do my best to make it much higher), and 3.1 - 3.2 (hoping to make it at a ~3.4 though) and I plan to hold 50-100 hours of shadowing experience. I will try to get some other experience as well in research or something to become even more competitive.

I am also aware and have deeply considered and thought about the Pros and Cons of entering Pharmacy school early. It is apparent to me that given all circumstances, the earlier I begin, the better.

My question to the forum is whether I will be a competitive candidate, or whether such a plan is infeasible given these two institutions I plan on applying to. My backup plan is to sit for the PCAT at the end of my second year and then apply during my third or fourth year. While this is not ideal financially, I am commited to reaching my dream and am willing to do what it takes.

I would really appreciate all insight here. Once again, please do not make this discussion one that is referring to the job market. I really appreciate the concern in that regard, but I am also very aware of it going in.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

So I am a current undergrad (Freshman) , who also brought in a couple of AP/IB credits which have counted towards my Pre-Pharmacy requirments. I am confident that I want to be a Pharmacist, and I can't see myself doing anything else.

Disclaimer: I am aware of the current job market and understand the Pharmacist job market has become extremely saturated. I am still confident that this is what I want to do, and have planned for this for much time.

So for a variety of reasons, mostly being personal and most importantly financial reasons, I want to enter Pharmacy school as soon as possible. This will allow me to save much money, as well as begin my dream of going to Pharmacy school sooner. I understand that college is a great time in life to develop and such, but due to once again financial reasons (I will be saving significant amounts of money, which is very important), as well as family reasons, I have determined that this is the best way to go.

There are in particular two pharmacy schools that I am eyeing, that have Pre-Pharmacy requirments that can easily be finished by the end of my Sophmore year, and institution requires the PCAT. Namley, these institions are South School of Pharmacy in Savannah, GA and LECOM School of Pharmacy in Florida.

I anticipate my GPA being at the time (and I'm being very conservative here for the sake of getting the most realistic answer, although I will do my best to make it much higher), and 3.1 - 3.2 (hoping to make it at a ~3.4 though) and I plan to hold 50-100 hours of shadowing experience. I will try to get some other experience as well in research or something to become even more competitive.

I am also aware and have deeply considered and thought about the Pros and Cons of entering Pharmacy school early. It is apparent to me that given all circumstances, the earlier I begin, the better.

My question to the forum is whether I will be a competitive candidate, or whether such a plan is infeasible given these two institutions I plan on applying to. My backup plan is to sit for the PCAT at the end of my second year and then apply during my third or fourth year. While this is not ideal financially, I am commited to reaching my dream and am willing to do what it takes.

I would really appreciate all insight here. Once again, please do not make this discussion one that is referring to the job market. I really appreciate the concern in that regard, but I am also very aware of it going in.
I think what you're trying to do is very possible. In fact, I'm doing just that. I'm a sophomore applying to pharmacy school and I have my gpa, PCAT, personal statement, and pharmacy experience in check. The only thing that's holding me up is LORs but it's in working progress. But honestly, getting all your prereqs done, especially when bringing in AP credit is not bad at all. It's great that you're planning ur future well by looking at it financially. I was exactly u one year ago.

I think what you're trying to do is very possible. In fact, I'm doing just that. I'm a sophomore applying to pharmacy school and I have my gpa, PCAT, personal statement, and pharmacy experience in check. The only thing that's holding me up is LORs but it's in working progress. But honestly, getting all your prereqs done, especially when bringing in AP credit is not bad at all. It's great that you're planning ur future well by looking at it financially. I was exactly u one year ago.

Wow, that's very commendable and gives me a lot of inspiration. The fact that you got all of those things done gives me hope that it's very possible for me as well. I hope this admissions cycle goes well for you and that you get into some amazing schools. Best wishes to you and thank you very much for your reply and encouragement!