Applying to Post-Bacc Programs as College Senior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nnatalie45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at a top public university majoring in psychology. I was undecided until this semester about going to medical school, so I have not taken the majority of the pre-med courses (only calc and first semester of bio). With the way my AP credits and course schedules worked out I will have the ability to graduate a year early, so I plan to do so and start a post bacc program in Fall 2015. I have a 31 ACT and 3.8 GPA, but minimal medical-related experiences (volunteering in hospital and research assistant position both starting this semester).

I know many of the best post-bacc programs stress work and medical-related experiences up to several years out of undergrad, so given my young age and minimal experiences, would I still be competitive for the top post bacc programs with linkages?

Members don't see this ad.

why would u just not stay at your own school and finish the pre req there?

Graduating early to go to a post bac is crazy

Use the next 2 years to do the pre reqs and work on your resume for medical school

Because no matter if I graduate early or not, I would need at least 2 years to finish the pre-reqs. Even if I did not graduate early, I would only have 3 semesters to work with (second semester of this year and the full year next year). Given this explanation, I don't see why it is not a good idea to apply to post bacc programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with robflanker. I did a postbac at one of the top programs and successfully linked. But even so, if I had figured out that I wanted to go into medicine while I was a junior, I would have unquestionably stayed at my undergrad college. In fact, I would have stayed if I had been a senior. My reasons:
  1. My friends/social support system was already there. (Probably the #1 reason)
  2. I already knew how my school's administration worked, how to find out who the best professors were, the best places to study, etc.
  3. I knew the city I was in, and wouldn't have had to move (moving sucks) and figure out how to get around a new city.
  4. Better financial aid as an undergrad (very little available as a postbac, plus they're expensive).
I think your reasoning is a little flawed -- most of the top postbacs with linkages are 1 year programs, so in theory it would be the same as your 3 semesters left in undergrad. In fact, if you take classes over the summer, you'll have a much more relaxed pace than a postbac, with plenty of time to build up clinical/research/volunteer experiences.

why would u just not stay at your own school and finish the pre req there?

Graduating early to go to a post bac is crazy

Use the next 2 years to do the pre reqs and work on your resume for medical school

OP, to answer your main question, no. I agree with robf. This doesn't seem to make sense. Plus, a lot of PB programs are for career changers. The other ones are for those that have taken all the prereqs and need to be challenged in higher level science courses to get some redemption from less than stellar prereq science GPA, and/or cGPA. Some involve masters degree, and there are some that are certificate. Anyway, given your situation, I'm not sure you would be all that competitive for a number of them. I could be wrong, so do more research--but really for a number of them, I don't think so. I mean you could get your undergrad, and then apply to some; but it's not like you would be the truest kind of career changer.

Also, I think, in reality, a PB program would end up being considerably more expensive than minoring or getting into the pre-req courses at your university. I mean you are already there. Not sure if you are at a private school or not; but still, chances are, you'd save money at the school you are now attending.

Why can't you minor in bio instead? Who care as to whether you graduate early or not? You have to do all that is necessary to have the best application for medical school. If you keep working hard and jump through the hoops, interview well, volunteer, get a good amount of clinical experience/exposure, you will probably get there. Where's the fire?

If you are looking for a fast path into medical school, in general, there is none. It's competitive, and there are a host of things you have to complete and do well in order to be considered. It's like this, as you probably know. The more applicants to available seats, the more competitive it is to obtain one of those seats.

Ksyhe has the right idea too. Plus, you need to talk with an insightful pre-med advisor. Be careful though. Some are better than others.

Good luck

I understand those points, but my undergraduate tuition is the same or more than the price of these post-bacc programs so cost really is not a factor. I should ask, however, if I were to stay at my undergrad would it be looked down upon to save tuition money by enrolling as a part-time student (12 credits) since I have all the other necessary credits for my major?

I think I am mainly interested in Loyola, Northwestern, NYU, or Georgetown. What are my chances of getting into these programs given the type of applicant I am?

Anyone?

I am very undecided because I see benefit from staying in the same place, but at the same time my undergraduate university's pre-med classes are very large and I have had mediocre advising experiences so far. I feel like I would really benefit from the smaller classes at the post bacc programs and the potentially better advising and committee letters. Ultimately I am just trying to figure out where I can best succeed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well, what does your academic advisor say?

Also, 12 semester credit hours is generally considered full-time. 13.5 quarter hours is also considered full-time.

Have you really counted all the costs of doing a formal PBPM program? Have you included COL and moving if you need to go away for it? Some of these, just for one year, cost above $40,000 w COL included.

My academic advisor is not helpful at all. She barely even knows what the post bac programs are. I have extensively compared the costs and both are comparable. Also I don't want to be taking 12 semester credit hours of just pre-med classes because I am considered medical school admissions committees may have a problem with the fact that I am not taking a full courseload with the pre-med requirements.

My academic advisor is not helpful at all. She barely even knows what the post bac programs are. I have extensively compared the costs and both are comparable. Also I don't want to be taking 12 semester credit hours of just pre-med classes because I am considered medical school admissions committees may have a problem with the fact that I am not taking a full courseload with the pre-med requirements.
what? 12 credit hours is full time. Getting As at 12 credits is more meaningful then 15 credits of A-.

You clearly seem set on your plan to leave your ugrad despite the advice offered here. So then go do it, but stop asking for someone to validate it for you

So you have no decent post-bac advisors at your university? Maybe seek them out at other schools around you or close to home. Contact some of the PB programs that you think you'd be interested in and talk with the PD there.

I'd slow it down. Take the required post-bac courses at your school or another good one nearby or close to home. Why go away for this? So, if you are away for college now, couldn't you move back home and take the required courses at a university nearby--not paying rent or other expenses? You could get a PT job in a drug rehab or BH unit as a mental health tech if you have taken enough coursework and are willing to sit through their training program. I did this in college, and it was enlightening and I liked it. And I am a small female and they had some big dudes in there w/ drug rehab or other psychological issues. No one ever hurt me. You mostly had to keep your eyes opened, pay attention and know what to look for, and then listen to them discuss their issues or work on Steps or whatever the program required. You'd go with them to group therapy meetings, and this was always interesting to me, b/c in group, people don't allow the other addicts there to BS around the questions. Talk about a reality show. I never heard BS called more in my life. LOL Never got hurt. . .not saying it isn't possible, but mostly it's people that have to get a grip on their problems and you observe them, listen to them, try to keep people safe. I would have worked there after completing my RN, but I was fixated on critical care. Seriously, you just have to be careful and smart about people; but it's not like you kill yourself on this kind of job--at least not at the place I was. In nursing school, I was in a huge and scary psychiatric hospital with many locked units. Those people there were completely and morbidly psychotic; but it was really interesting. I listened and kept my eyes wide open, never judged or got impatient with the pts, observed their tics, and listened to the nursing and medical staff and my psych nursing instructor re: what to look for and how to approach these patients. People HAVE gotten hurt at this state MH hospital; b/c there are so many acute and chronic, severely psychotic patients, but mostly b/c a staff members were not following protocol or weren't attentive or just a douches in dealing with people that are rather far gone and are incapable of reason. You have to learn what approaches to use with the particular patients, and you have to work with other members as a team. OTOH, at the private drug rehab/psych hospital, it was such a walk in the park in comparison. And it was definitely A LOT easier than the RN job in any medical or surgical ICU I have ever worked.

Here's my point to all of this: while you are doing a job like this, where you could use some of the psychology--through probably not a lot, b/c most pure psych programs don't give you a lot of application or clinical exposure unless you are in RN school, med school, or unless you are in certain psych grad programs, you could work and go to school. You just have to be teachable, and in many cases, the MHH or BHU will put you through the training if you have had some psych education. This is a peace of cake job to take while you are completing your prereqs. Again, you just have to be observant, non-judgmental, and open to good training.

It's through this job you could also get some relevant insight about why medicine--or at least share about your healthcare experiences--it's good learning about dealing with people. Sure you have volunteering for that as well. But what a lot people don't get is that unless you are going into an area where your interaction with patients and families will be virtually non-existent, some level of psych is always at play; b/c it's a part of dealing with marred humanity.

Good luck, and try to save money wherever you can; b/c MS is outrageous enough in cost.

Also, I have to agree again with RobF in that, it's better to take lower credit ft load than going over and risking your sGPA and your cGPA. In fact, it's better to go PT and have banging grades, especially if you are working, volunteering, shadowing, etc. These other things are also important parts to the ms application.

Plus, really, you should try to have as much of life as you can now; b/c once you are in MS and residency, that will be very, very hard to have. I mean maybe if you are a great student, your first two years of MS you can still have a life, but M3-4 and residency will consume most of our life/time. You may well resent the process more if you ignored having an outside life when you could have; b/c the whole process of becoming a physician is very long. Read the tons of MS and residents at SDN with posts that show that they are in big-time resentment mode; b/c they are exhausted and feel like MS/residency is sucking up every bit of their lives. Why extend that if you don't have to? Keep that frame of time as short as you need to so that you won't have undue resentment for your chosen career path. Why do all of this if you end up miserable? And God knows, no one will want to work, let alone live with you if you become a miserable person. Major downer.

Last edited:
I'd say go wherever you think you have the highest chance of getting A's in your pre-med reqs; if that is at a post-bacc program with smaller classes and more individualized attention, then go for it. IMO, there's no need to be concerned about going to a program with linkage. If you can achieve a 3.6+ GPA in your med pre-reqs, and get a 30+ MCAT, you'll be competitive for medical school given your current 3.8 GPA.

There were four people in my linkage postbac who were straight out of college. Only one is currently in my med school class. Of the rest of us, 4/5 made it through. Follow the advice given to you on this board. It is from people who have been through the process. A formal postbac, while consisting of undergrad courses, is very different from an undergraduate experience. Those who didn't realize that quickly enough fell through the cracks.

Barker Posey, I am not sure what you mean. Are you trying to say only one of you were accepted into medical school right out of the program? Where did you attend?

Barker Posey, I am not sure what you mean. Are you trying to say only one of you were accepted into medical school right out of the program? Where did you attend?
I'm in Temple's program that links to its med school. 80% of the people in my postbac class who were NOT straight out of college are currently medical school students. 25% of the people who were straight out of college are currently in med school. Just something to think about.

I'm in Temple's program that links to its med school. 80% of the people in my postbac class who were NOT straight out of college are currently medical school students. 25% of the people who were straight out of college are currently in med school. Just something to think about.

Seriously, I guessed that one well. :)