Applying to Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dodo89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm PGY-2 in Internal Medicine in an ACGME-I program.
My credentials: step 1: 206, step 2: 234, CS: second attempt, 2 months of USCE and I have US citizenship.
I have 2 publications so far and 3 submitted papers.
I'm planning to apply to Psychiatry, but I'm a bit worried since I started my residency in IM.
I heard that if you are not dedicated to Psychiatry from the very beginning, then you will filtered.
I really like Psychiatry, but could not secure a position.
Is it possible to apply to Psychiatry with my IM record? if so, what are my chances with these qualifications?

And thank you,
Dodo89

Members don't see this ad.

what country have you been doing your residency in? psychiatry loves applicants from IM and other specialties - it's a real coup and it is beneficial to have extra medical training. your main issue is the CS failure. you should be able to apply as a PGY-2 which is good as that is far less competitive than applying as a PGY-1. I am assuming you have full credit for your intern year and your training director will write you a good letter of recommendation. will you have any psychiatry letters of recommendation - this will be important. and fluency in english is also very important.

Reactions: 1 user
what country have you been doing your residency in? psychiatry loves applicants from IM and other specialties - it's a real coup and it is beneficial to have extra medical training. your main issue is the CS failure. you should be able to apply as a PGY-2 which is good as that is far less competitive than applying as a PGY-1. I am assuming you have full credit for your intern year and your training director will write you a good letter of recommendation. will you have any psychiatry letters of recommendation - this will be important. and fluency in english is also very important.

But the thing is, how can I convince them that I really like despite doing my residency in IM ?

Members don't see this ad :)
But the thing is, how can I convince them that I really like despite doing my residency in IM ?

By the fact that you're switching out of IM and applying to psychiatry. Get letters that validate that interest and you should probably be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I'm PGY-2 in Internal Medicine in an ACGME-I program.
My credentials: step 1: 206, step 2: 234, CS: second attempt, 2 months of USCE and I have US citizenship.
I have 2 publications so far and 3 submitted papers.
I'm planning to apply to Psychiatry, but I'm a bit worried since I started my residency in IM.
I heard that if you are not dedicated to Psychiatry from the very beginning, then you will filtered.
I really like Psychiatry, but could not secure a position.
Is it possible to apply to Psychiatry with my IM record? if so, what are my chances with these qualifications?

And thank you,
Dodo89

If you don't mind me asking - I'm planning on to apply to psychiatry as well, but I just failed CS, so I have one more year. How do I get involved in research? I don't even know what to type in the google search bar to get started.