Applying to Residency After PhD Completion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlobalHealthDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Appreciate any advice from anyone who may know the answers to my questions. Thank you kindly !

I finished medical school back in 2009 and took my USMLE exams Step 1, 2, and 3 in 2007, 2008, and 2011 respectively. Obtained a Masters after med school. I then finished a year of internal medicine in 2011 but had to take a break since due to family reasons.

I am now very interested in applying to and completing a PhD program in the Health/Public Health arena, which will take 4-5 years.

Questions:
1. Will I still be eligible to apply again to PGY1 residencies in Internal Medicine after completion of my PhD program, or will it be too far away from my graduation date of 2009?

2. Will my USMLE Steps 1-3 still be valid or do they expire?

3. Also, curious this is somewhat related, can I defer my loans from accumulating interest while doing my PhD or do they continue to accumulate interest?

Appreciate any and all help! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Eligible, yes. Likely to match somewhere after 5+ years off? No. To be honest, you're going to have major problems finding a residency. It may not be fair, but time off from medicine is a big red flag for residencies.
2. Do you have a permanent medical license? If you do, keep it active and do CME requirements so that the USMLEs don't hold you up. If you do not have a permanent medical license, I'm not sure how they will look at your USMLEs without maintaining a license and actively being in medicine; you may have to re-take them depending on requirements in your state. Since you've done all three steps already, you may get lucky.
3. No, you will not be able to defer interest on your loans.

Thank you both for your response. I was thinking though that since the PhD program is closely integrated with the Department of Medicine, I would be able to forge some connections.

I wanted to definitely also show that I am keeping up my clinical skills, by either volunteering at a clinic or helping out at the medical school teaching small groups or such. Unfortunately, I do not have my medical license to practice.

Appreciate your responses.