applying to sleep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FowlersGap

The Original Knight Rider
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
when and how do you start applying for the sleep fellowship. Is it one year prior, which month. Do I go to Freida, and individually contact each program for an application. I was wondering what the process was. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

when and how do you start applying for the sleep fellowship. Is it one year prior, which month. Do I go to Freida, and individually contact each program for an application. I was wondering what the process was. Thanks!

Generally it's a year before. For example, if you plan to start fellowship in July 2010, you'd send in applications in late summer or early fall in 2009.

There is no centralized match -- you apply directly to the programs you are interested in, so, the best thing to do is contact them directly regarding application process and dates.

You can start by looking at the ACGME website:
http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/
Newly accredited programs will likely pop up, and this site will give you that information.
The FRIEDA website is also useful, and should give you the same info as the ACGME site.

I'd recommend calling up or emailing the places that you are interested in, and ask them to mail you an application form. You can also ask when they typically review applications and send out interview offers.

The time-line for each program is different. I would recommend asking around as early as possible. In my limited experience, I found that some Neuro-based or Neuro/Pulm based programs interview and accept fellows very early (up to 12, 13 months before the start date), whereas some Pulmonary based programs tend to be at least several months later, and some others not until the late Fall. I'd be interested to know if others have had this experience as well.

The lack of a formalized match system can make the whole process tricky. Given that getting into a Sleep fellowship is competitive, if you get an early offer by a place that isn't your ideal choice, you may find yourself in the position of having to make a decision within 24-48 hrs (at most a few days) without having the luxury of knowing whether or not you would have gotten an offer from a more desireable program.

Hope this helps.