Applying to Stanford/Yale/Princeton/Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maddiee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I graduated from a foreign medical school last year and I've decided to try a non-traditional route to the ENT residency that I've had my eye on for years.

I was thinking I'd apply to medical school and go through the entire thing again and guarantee a spot in a top surgical residency program.

Anyway right now my stats are:

Undergrad (MBBS) GPA: 3.98
Currently enrolled in a Masters of Health Admin program in Canada.
MCAT: Writing it in April, but practice test result was 27 (and this is five years after I've touched Phy/Chem so with a little studying I'm sure I can hit 30 at least).
Volunteering: Limited. Volunteered at medical clinics during the floods in Pakistan
Extracurriculars: Judo. Unless studying for the boards counts?

What do you guys think? I know it sounds like an insane idea, I hear that very regularly. Other than that however, how strong is my application?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I graduated from a foreign medical school last year and I've decided to try a non-traditional route to the ENT residency that I've had my eye on for years.

I was thinking I'd apply to medical school and go through the entire thing again and guarantee a spot in a top surgical residency program.

MCAT: Writing it in April, but practice test result was 27 (and this is five years after I've touched Phy/Chem so with a little studying I'm sure I can hit 30 at least).
Volunteering: Limited. Volunteered at medical clinics during the floods in Pakistan

What do you guys think? I know it sounds like an insane idea, I hear that very regularly. Other than that however, how strong is my application?

1) AMCAS, the primary MD application service in the US, doesn't accept foreign transcripts. Canada is not considered "foreign" however. Where did you earn the MBBS degree?

2) If you read the websites of US med schools, they usually require international applicants to have a certain number of undergrad credits earned in the US or Canada, like 2-3 year's worth, though a handful require only one year's. Generally this means retaking all the prerequisites.

3) The AMCAS form requires you to check a box and explain if you have ever matriculated to a med school. Most (if not all) will not welcome someone who already has a degree.

4) The specified med schools have a much higher average acceptee MCAT score than 30.

5) Your ECs as stated are not strong enough to appeal to the top schools you've listed, but if you resume taking undergrad coursework, you'd have time to fix that.

6) We won't even start on the visa implications.

7) There is no such thing as a "guaranteed spot" in any residency program regardless of how high your Board scores are. Have you already taken Steps I, II, and II?

Last edited:
I'm almost 99% sure US medical schools will not accept anyone who already has a medical degree (MD or MBBS).

Your best shot at practicing ENT in the US would be to do an ENT residency abroad then try to get a fellowship or research position here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm almost 99% sure US medical schools will not accept anyone who already has a medical degree (MD or MBBS).

Your best shot at practicing ENT in the US would be to do an ENT residency abroad then try to get a fellowship or research position here.

Yes, but if he/she didn't get an ENT residency in the US after already doing one abroad and still wanted to practice something in the US then he/she would have to go through another residency... Regardless, i agree. Do residency overseas, then try to apply for residency/fellowship in US.

Hi there,

Ignoring everything else that's holding you back, you do realize you're going to need a 36+, right? Have fun with that.

Am I the only person who doesn't believe this is real?

I believe there is a DO med school that accepts foreign MDs and fast tracks them to receiving a DO medical degree. It's not all that fast though.

Huh yeah I guess you're right. It seems crazy to start med school over again completely from the beginning.

Am I the only person who doesn't believe this is real?

Lol I didn't notice Princeton when I first glanced at the thread.

I heard their ENT residency is amazing though...

I believe there is a DO med school that accepts foreign MDs and fast tracks them to receiving a DO medical degree. It's not all that fast though.
You're thinking about NYCOM. And yes, not very fast. If I remember correctly, it's 3 years; if not all 4.