This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

post-bac_pre-vet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am submitting my application (I little tight on time yes I know) and just want a little input, maybe even peace of mind.

I graduated 4 years ago with a BFA in photography, decided recently that I wanted to be an equine veterinarian. I started taking classes last fall. I have two more classes to take to satisfy all the prerequisites for the schools I am applying to in the 2017 cycle. My concerns are:
How does it look applying with outstanding course work, Biochem and genetics?
(basically I won't have the same high level science classes as the majority of my peers, my science GPA is strictly prepreqs) I intend to supply my schools with fall 2016 transcripts as an academic update.
I got one C+ in orgo ii, how negatively does that reflect on my application? all other grades are A and A- and a couple B+, so my science GPA is a 3.53/ overall 3.63
my GRE scores are 163 verbal 153 quant (not terrible, not great)
I have TONS of experience, I grew up working with horses, on farms even had a stint in thailand working with exotics and I work with an osteopathic veterinarian right now.
that's the summary of my past and recent academic pursuits, I know it's pretty specific, but any thoughts or opinions are extremely helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I am submitting my application (I little tight on time yes I know) and just want a little input, maybe even peace of mind.

I graduated 4 years ago with a BFA in photography, decided recently that I wanted to be an equine veterinarian. I started taking classes last fall. I have two more classes to take to satisfy all the prerequisites for the schools I am applying to in the 2017 cycle. My concerns are:
How does it look applying with outstanding course work, Biochem and genetics?
(basically I won't have the same high level science classes as the majority of my peers, my science GPA is strictly prepreqs) I intend to supply my schools with fall 2016 transcripts as an academic update.
I got one C+ in orgo ii, how negatively does that reflect on my application? all other grades are A and A- and a couple B+, so my science GPA is a 3.53/ overall 3.63
my GRE scores are 163 verbal 153 quant (not terrible, not great)
I have TONS of experience, I grew up working with horses, on farms even had a stint in thailand working with exotics and I work with an osteopathic veterinarian right now.
that's the summary of my past and recent academic pursuits, I know it's pretty specific, but any thoughts or opinions are extremely helpful!
Outstanding prereqs are fine. A lot of people still have to finish stuff the year they're applying. One C+ is also fine. It didn't hit your GPA hard. I had multiple Cs, and I'm fine. You're quant GRE is a little low, but you can't change that now. How much veterinary experience do you have? Just make sure you have good LORs and you strategically applied to schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Outstanding prereqs are fine. A lot of people still have to finish stuff the year they're applying. One C+ is also fine. It didn't hit your GPA hard. I had multiple Cs, and I'm fine. You're quant GRE is a little low, but you can't change that now. How much veterinary experience do you have? Just make sure you have good LORs and you strategically applied to schools.

I did spread out my schools to reach and safeties - I've spent the last year with a vet who works on horses mostly but he does cats and dogs too (all house calls) I'm starting to spend some time in a small animal clinic next week and I spent 5 weeks in Thailand and that included time with an exotics vet

You should post this in the What Are My Chances thread. May have more luck there. Say which schools you applied to and how many hours of animal and vet experience you have.