Applying while in another graduate program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MW227

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with/heard of any experience of applying DO while enrolled in another program? (i.e. Dental, Podiatry, Chiro)

Obviously course work/transcripts would be on your AACOMAS but was wondering how it is viewed by adcoms if you are still working in another program while applying as opposed to withdrawing before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone with/heard of any experience of applying DO while enrolled in another program? (i.e. Dental, Podiatry, Chiro)

Obviously course work/transcripts would be on your AACOMAS but was wondering how it is viewed by adcoms if you are still working in another program while applying as opposed to withdrawing before applying?
If you're not going to complete the other degree before matriculating to DO, don't bother sending an application.

I personally know of a someone who was in PT school and got into DO school and an MD who was in pharm school when he applied. I don't know whether they withdrew or not before applying but neither completed their initial degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
You just have to spin it for adcoms, like anything else.

MW, I would be surprised if a single person you come in contact with during applying from another program will care that you aren't finishing the other degree, especially if it is a professional degree. Why would you drop out of your current program if you don't know if you are accepted to DO/MD yet? And why should you feel compelled to complete additional podiatry/dentistry/pharmacy years if you know you want to do something else more?

Just like anyone else, you will have to be able to articulate the reasons why you want to be a doctor. And if you can successfully do that, absolutely nobody will care about you switching or not completing your degree (except maybe your current program of course).

Being in another professional graduate program at the time I applied did not hinder me at all. I know several others at my school who did the same.

You're absolutely wrong.
If you drop the other program before applying, you'll be fine. There are very few programs willing to poach students intending to stay on their program as backup.

If you drop the other program before applying, you'll be fine. There are very few programs willing to poach students intending to stay on their program as backup.

I'm saying from experience this just isn't true. Most, if not all, programs don't care. I stayed on in my program as a backup and my program even allowed me to make up missed exams to attend DO interviews. It certainly was never an issue to the DO programs I applied to.

I'm saying from experience this just isn't true. Most, if not all, programs don't care. I stayed on in my program as a backup and my program even allowed me to make up missed exams to attend DO interviews. It certainly was never an issue to the DO programs I applied to.
Okay. I'm open to the possibility of being wrong, but I've heard accounts to the contrary.