Applying with a MBA degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBumDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My main question is how does dental schools view a Master of Business Administration degree? When I was applying to dental school, I was told that I would not be admitted due do low GPA (3.2 overall/ 3.0 science) and so-so DAT (18/18). I was advised to take post-bac classes because I had let my grades slipped my senior year of college (no excuses). However, I had most of my science classes already from earning my B.S. in Biology. I decided to earn a MBA because dentistry is a business and I wanted to understand that part of field. Now I'm on track to graduate with a 4.0 and I have been accepted into two honors societies due to my dedication and hard work. I am considering retaking my DAT for the third time later this year and I will start shadowing again (I've got 100 hours already under my belt from a couple of years ago). So, back to my original question... how would dental schools view my latest degree? And any recommendations are definitely welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

imho it's not going to hurt, it'll only help. You'll have a graduate degree. Your reasoning states that you had the maturity to think ahead and realize the business aspect of dentistry. doctoothache is definitely referring to the low ratio of applicants : acceptances with business majors, which are not very good at all, compared with most. But then again, dental school was never easy to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it will help. I got an M.S. in management, which was basically equivalent to the first 2/3 of an MBA. Played up the "wanted to learn the business side of dentistry" and "I'll get plenty of science in dental school" in interviews when they asked why I chose that grad program. Just make sure you get lots of shadowing and have a good answer for why MBA and not masters in science

an MBA cannot offset bad performance in the basic science classes and it will not make you stand out against the competition because this is a science field and not a business field.

An MBA (esp. with a 4,0) is very impressive!! It will set you apart! Yes, dental school is science related, but your career will be business related. I have seen some dentists with MBA DDS on their business cards. You will be a more well rounded applicant. However...
Many people I know get in with low GPAs (including myself) but they do have a significantly higher DAT. I recommend you aim for 20+ in all sections when you re-take the DAT.
It helps that your sGPA is from a biology degree and not just the prerequisites. You have a broader knowledge of the sciences...but you will have to back that knowledge with a stronger DAT.

An MBA (esp. with a 4,0) is very impressive!! It will set you apart! Yes, dental school is science related, but your career will be business related. I have seen some dentists with MBA DDS on their business cards. You will be a more well rounded applicant. However...
Many people I know get in with low GPAs (including myself) but they do have a significantly higher DAT. I recommend you aim for 20+ in all sections when you re-take the DAT.
It helps that your sGPA is from a biology degree and not just the prerequisites. You have a broader knowledge of the sciences...but you will have to back that knowledge with a stronger DAT.

Dont get the facts twisted, a 4.0 MBA will not offset the OPs "low GPA (3.2 overall/ 3.0 science) and so-so DAT (18/18)." Most predents dont have MBAs and get admitted and at the end of the day the most important factors are overall GPA, science GPA and DAT scores. So the answer is No, the MBA will not offset the low GPA and mediocre DAT scores. The OP has to retake the DAT and get a 20 or above and has to follow a post bac or masters route to increase his/her science GPA for any real shot at dental school. And most people do not get admitted with a 3.0 sGPA so please dont give the OP false hope. He/she needs to take more science classes to boost the sGPA for a real shot at admission.

Dont get the facts twisted, a 4.0 MBA will not offset the OPs "low GPA (3.2 overall/ 3.0 science) and so-so DAT (18/18)." Most predents dont have MBAs and get admitted and at the end of the day the most important factors are overall GPA, science GPA and DAT scores. So the answer is No, the MBA will not offset the low GPA and mediocre DAT scores. The OP has to retake the DAT and get a 20 or above and has to follow a post bac or masters route to increase his/her science GPA for any real shot at dental school. And most people do not get admitted with a 3.0 sGPA so please dont give the OP false hope. He/she needs to take more science classes to boost the sGPA for a real shot at admission.

Re -read my post. I actually agree with you: an MBA will not offset low GPA/DAT. But a high DAT could offset a marginal 3+ GPA and the MBA will make him/her a well rounded, unique applicant. Also, the MBA will be highly useful in running a business in the future.
That said, I'm not implying that getting an MBA is a good route for getting into dental school. However, in this particular case the OP is almost done with their MBA.. If they do very well on the DAT and the rest of their application (LORs, ECs) are good, they can compete againts high sGPA applicants.
Also, if they have a Biology degree already, taking additional sciences may not have a significant effect on sGPA. The DAT imay be the best means to improve their application right now. It is risky though, since it will be their 3rd time...they MUST do well.

Last edited:
Re -read my post. I actually agree with you: an MBA will not offset low GPA/DAT. But a high DAT could offset a marginal 3+ GPA and the MBA will make him/her a well rounded, unique applicant. Also, the MBA will be highly useful in running a business in the future.
That said, I'm not implying that getting an MBA is a good route for getting into dental school. However, in this particular case the OP is almost done with their MBA.. If they do very well on the DAT and the rest of their application (LORs, ECs) are good, they can compete againts high sGPA applicants.
Also, if they have a Biology degree already, taking additional sciences may not have a significant effect on sGPA. The DAT imay be the best means to improve their application right now. It is risky though, since it will be their 3rd time...they MUST do well.

Finishing the MBA will have no effect on dental school admission, the OP MUST retake the DAT and MUST take post bac or masters bio courses. Most people don't get into dental school with 3.0 sGPAs, that's a fact. sGPA has more weight than DAT because sGPA varies from as low as 3.00 in Meharry to 3.75 in U of Nebraska, meanwhile the DAT varies from 19 to 20 AA in 40 out 58 schools, so hence oGPA and sGPA are the more important factors once someone gets a 19 or 20 AA. Getting above a 21 is nearly impossible since that's close to the 99th percentile, of course people get over 21's but that doesn't happen very often. So OP should really boost his GPAs for a real shot at admission.