Applying with an old TX state jail felony for theft, deferred adjudication probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jawood1989

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a likely fairly unique story that I would like some advice on. I understand there might be some members on here who work in admissions, so feedback from you guys, or anyone else with similar experience would be wonderful.

I always wanted to be a doctor, for as long as I can remember. Shortly after starting pre-med, in my freshman year, I utterly overloaded myself, tried to work a full time job at the same time, then burned out and dropped out completely. A couple years after, about 11 years ago now, I made some very irresponsible choices due to being in a bad financial situation, stole some items that did not belong to me while working as a guard, and was charged with a Texas state jail felony for theft of services (it's a unique tier to Texas, between class A misdemeanor and 3rd degree felony). While I was not technically convicted, I pled out, and was sentenced to deferred adjudication probation for 5 years, in addition to paying a fine, restitution and completing 200 hours community service. I completed my probation sentence and was released after 3.5 years and charges were dropped. But, unfortunately, though I was not convicted, the arrest and charges show up on my background check (TX DPS), and it seems universally to be treated as such, which I understand. Also, because of the level of the charge, I am unable to apply for an expulsion. The deferred adjudication program was supposed to be like a fresh start for first-time non-violent offenders if they complete the trial period during probation, but it certainly doesn't work that way since expulsion isn't an option. I can apply for an order of non-disclosure, but state licensing agencies (and I'm assuming texas medical schools) would still be able to see the arrest and charges.

I know that alot of schools now are trying a more holistic approach to applications, and I do have several mitigating factors. It has been 11 years since the offense (will likely be more like 15 years by the time I am actually applying), with no charges since. I have submitted an application to the Texas medical board to find out if I would be able to obtain a license with my background, so if that comes back as an affirmative, I will be able to include that with my application. I am also a paramedic and have been working in EMS for almost 7 years now. I had no trouble getting the Texas DSHS to issue me an EMT certification after I got off probation, then a paramedic license later. I have been going into people's homes when they are at their most vulnerable, for years now, without any incidents. So I'd say I can claim I have been rehabilitated, I sincerely regret what I did, but I have learned from it, and continue to prove every day that I would never repeat it. I also have a different life experience to draw from than the typical student, and professional medical experience to bring to the table. I'm 32, currently working my way through all the science pre-requisites and an AS emphasis in biology at my local community college, and will transfer to a large university in texas for a bachelor's. I have always excelled at science courses and school in general, so a high GPA and MCAT shouldn't be an issue.

I guess I just would like to have an idea of what to expect. I know, without a doubt, that it will be an uphill battle all the way, and that there will definitely be schools that turn me down out of hand. I do plan to integrate my background and experiences into my application essays, as they will find out either way. I've learned that it's best to be up-front about this. Sorry for the long post, and thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You have several saving graces

The incident happened when you were what, about 18? That's a very different you.

The incident was 11 years ago. Plenty of time to grow as a person

Many apps only ask for conviction, but many others ask about arrests. Check the boxes and explain as you did here. The major thing is to own your transgression.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with goro. I believe the AMCAS application only asked about convictions. You did not have to click the box if you were charged but then subsequently found not guilty or had the charges dropped.