Applying with COMLEX only especially in California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flight24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear some people say that DO students with a subpar COMLEX score still have a decent shot at low tier Cali psych programs such as USC, UCSF Fresno, Loma Linda, etc. Is this under the assumption that they did not take the USMLE at all? I recently took the COMLEX and started my rotations, but my scores have not released yet. I probably did average. I'm contemplating whether or not to continue studying and take the USMLE Step 1 in a month or so. I hear even schools like Loma Linda needs a mandatory USMLE score. Are you basically out of the picture from most Cali psych residencies if you do not take the USMLE and apply with a average/subpar COMLEX?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

At the risk of insulting some fine programs, Kaweah Delta, Kern, and Kaiser Fontana should probably be on your radar. Add a couple from Phoenix and Reno or UNLV and you will probably have no problem staying in the South West with several doors open to you. Others have dissagreed with me, but USMLE does help if you do well on it. It is all about sticking out in a sea of similar applications.

At the risk of insulting some fine programs, Kaweah Delta, Kern, and Kaiser Fontana should probably be on your radar. Add a couple from Phoenix and Reno or UNLV and you will probably have no problem staying in the South West with several doors open to you. Others have dissagreed with me, but USMLE does help if you do well on it. It is all about sticking out in a sea of similar applications.
Thanks for the response.