Applying without completing all requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iMed17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from school in May, but I never took a second English class or Cell Biology. I plan on taking both courses at some point during this year, but I haven't decided when/where yet. Will a school reject me because I haven't completed these courses? Should I include them as future course work on my AMCAS (even though I don't have an exact course number/name) or just wait and send an update when I do sign up for the classes? I just want to make sure I don't get rejected from a school for this!

Members don't see this ad.

Schools will most likely assume that you understand the requirements at their institutions and will complete them before matriculating. I doubt they will hold it against you. I wouldn't include them as "future courses" unless you have already made formal plans to take them.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos and brevity)

Take care not to apply to schools that require completion of the prerequisites before application, or before January of the application year, which historically have included schools like Penn State, Cornell, Temple, Wake, Vandy, and maybe VCU. Check each school's website where you thought to apply to see if this may (still) be true for them.