Approaching the middle of my DPT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myzougrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a few weeks I will be half way through my DPT program. I'm broke, tired and emotionally raw but I am half way there. Thankfully after this semester I will attend class for 8 weeks then do a clinical for 8 weeks for the remaining 18 months of the program. Don't get me wrong, it is all worth it. It just seems like the road is long.

Members don't see this ad.

You're almost halfway there! Keep going! It'll be worth it in the end and you'll rekindle the fire once you're out in the clinics. :)

You are halfway through and that is great. I wondered based on your experience what advice would you (or anyone else here) give to someone about to start a DPT program in 2012. Is there something you wish you had known or would have done different from the start. Also, any non science major undergrads ........did that hold you back if you had a degree in something not related at all to PT Thanks everyone and Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, any non science major undergrads ........did that hold you back if you had a degree in something not related at all to PT Thanks everyone and Good luck

I just started and not having a related degree hasn't really held me back other than when it comes to usage of correct clinical terms... now that we are using them a lot, I'm already falling into line quicker, but simple things like- flexion/extension of ___________ or biceps femoris vs rectus femoris -- it would take me a few seconds longer than most of my peers to remember what those words exactly meant.

I've been told after the 1st year everyone levels out, but that those with a related degree tend to do better/have to work less (in some cases) to "get it" in the beginning core classes, but once everyone hits the PT courses it evens out.

Don't fall behind in your coursework. There is too much information to cram so keep going at a steady pace. Try not to fret over the amount of work before you. Take it one assignment at a time. Which year is hardest depends on your strengths and weaknesses. My second year has been more conceptual which is a little harder for me. Find a way to relieve the stress.

In a few weeks I will be half way through my DPT program. I'm broke, tired and emotionally raw but I am half way there. Thankfully after this semester I will attend class for 8 weeks then do a clinical for 8 weeks for the remaining 18 months of the program. Don't get me wrong, it is all worth it. It just seems like the road is long.
i am half way through and i am right there with you. school is becoming such a drag. i am sick and tired of studying all the time and always being stressed out. it definitely sucks. however, i look at it as a means to an end. when we're done im sure we'll look back and think this wasnt so bad. 1.5 years to go isnt really that long.

grass is always greener. just think how many people are stressed out all day hating the their jobs.

Don't worry for one second about having a non-science degree. The prerequisites prepare you for the program. I had a totally unrelated degree and I'm doing just fine.

I have an unrelated degree (Psych)....did all of my pre-reqs at a community college, and definitely felt behind in some respects during the first year. It all came together after my first clinical experience. I don't think it was a huge negative factor, but I do think that your level of experience both academically and clinically will make a difference in how well prepared you feel once you start. Some of my classmates are in the same situation and we've had conversations about this, and we all agreed it was a slight disadvantage in the beginning to have an unrelated background. Now that I am in the 2nd year however, it doesn't seem like a big deal at all. Bottom line- I don't think it's anything to be concerned about!