appropriate to ask for LOR from professor of summer class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S2obsessed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a advanced level science course this summer at my university for 6 weeks. The class meets every day for 1 hour and will have about 40 students enrolled. When this same class is offered during the school year, it is taught by the same professor but has FOUR HUNDRED students! So far the other science classes I've taken during the school year also have a lot more students, so it's not been easy to get to know the professors. Assuming I do well in this class and the professor likes me, would it be appropriate to get a LOR from him, or do med schools prefer it to be from a "normal" semester course?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope this would be perfectly fine. Just make sure to talk to the prof outside of class so you can get to know each other and he/she can write you a strong and personal letter. Good luck!

It really depends on the professor. Like @Oso suggested, talk to the professor outside of class especially because having a LOR from a professor that basically just says, "S2obsessed performed very well in my class" really doesn't accomplish the goal of a LOR - to shed light on your character and why you would be a good physician. I would also add from personal experience that when I was taking Orgo over the summer at a different institution, the professor basically said that we should not ask him for a LOR because our time would be too short for him to say anything meaningful.

So if you feel like this course, due to its size, allows you to develop rapport with the professor and that you'll be able to maintain it in a serious way after the class (when it comes time to write a letter), then sure, take the step to ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
IF you feel the Prof knows you well enough to write a good LOR, then yes.

I'm taking a advanced level science course this summer at my university for 6 weeks. The class meets every day for 1 hour and will have about 40 students enrolled. When this same class is offered during the school year, it is taught by the same professor but has FOUR HUNDRED students! So far the other science classes I've taken during the school year also have a lot more students, so it's not been easy to get to know the professors. Assuming I do well in this class and the professor likes me, would it be appropriate to get a LOR from him, or do med schools prefer it to be from a "normal" semester course?

I don't see why not. Just make sure you get to know the professor. Ask questions during clas and go to office hours, either to ask questions or just to chat. Professors like talking about their research, etc., and they like hearing about what their students are up to as well.