Appropriate to ask for post-eval feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

general admission

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished a rotation in my top specialty. It was only a couple weeks. Loved it, and did very well from the get-go. However, only ended up with a pass (only fail, pass, honors available) evaluation. The written comments were extremely positive. Would it be appropriate to email and ask what it was that kept me from honors? I really don't know what I could have improved on. It's a little discouraging to end up with only a P after performing like that and giving it my all. This also puts me at danger for not even being eligible to HP the rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just finished a rotation in my top specialty. It was only a couple weeks. Loved it, and did very well from the get-go. However, only ended up with a pass (only fail, pass, honors available) evaluation. The written comments were extremely positive. Would it be appropriate to email and ask what it was that kept me from honors? I really don't know what I could have improved on. It's a little discouraging to end up with only a P after performing like that and giving it my all. This also puts me at danger for not even being eligible to honor the rotation.
Does your school have any established protocol for contacting your past rotation sites? Some schools are a little touchy on using the "proper channels". Another good person to ask this question to may be your schools clinical education director?
It seems to me that there shouldn't be a problem asking for feedback to improve your future rotations.

Just finished a rotation in my top specialty. It was only a couple weeks. Loved it, and did very well from the get-go. However, only ended up with a pass (only fail, pass, honors available) evaluation. The written comments were extremely positive. Would it be appropriate to email and ask what it was that kept me from honors? I really don't know what I could have improved on. It's a little discouraging to end up with only a P after performing like that and giving it my all. This also puts me at danger for not even being eligible to HP the rotation.
I'd just ask to sit down and talk about room for improvement. Don't complain or argue about the grade but ask how you can do better.
I've always tried doing that with all my preceptors. Sure, they fill a form out, but I usually get way better feedback in person when talking with them candidly.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ask them for a meeting and ask them for specific points on where you can improve. If they say there is nothing you can do to improve (besides the standard 'read more') only THEN ask about why you only got a pass.

Does your school have any established protocol for contacting your past rotation sites? Some schools are a little touchy on using the "proper channels". Another good person to ask this question to may be your schools clinical education director?
It seems to me that there shouldn't be a problem asking for feedback to improve your future rotations.
There is a good reason for this.

Asking for post-rotation feedback is hit or miss. The one time I tried, I got no response. In this case, during the mid-term feedback, my preceptor filled out a required form and said "N/A" in the box for "Areas for improvement". Thus, I believed I was doing alright since my preceptor gave me quite positive comments in the "Areas of Strength" section. But, at the end of the rotation, I ended up with a Pass. Who knows?

Asking for post-rotation feedback is hit or miss. The one time I tried, I got no response. In this case, during the mid-term feedback, my preceptor filled out a required form and said "N/A" in the box for "Areas for improvement". Thus, I believed I was doing alright since my preceptor gave me quite positive comments in the "Areas of Strength" section. But, at the end of the rotation, I ended up with a Pass. Who knows?
Ugh... You misunderstood that. N/A means they dont even know you. There's always room for improvement.