Appropriate topic for Diversity statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jabawocky

Lunch has been cancelled due to lack of hustle.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm working on my secondary application and part of it asks for a diversity statement, as usual. Im including some hobbies of mine and one of them is home brewing my own beer. Is this an appropriate topic to include? Im simply stating how I enjoy the process and looking for new flavors and styles.

Members don't see this ad.

not unless you're applying to Loma Linda

Precision and patience, chemical acumen, creativity all exemplified by brewing. all very appropriate for medical applications.

How is the diversity question asked? Is it like "how would you contribute to the diversity of the class?" or something? I think you should come up with something better than enjoying to brew beer (or any hobby for that matter). Things that have shaped or influence your perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Skip LUCOM then.

It's a fine topic.

So I'm working on my secondary application and part of it asks for a diversity statement, as usual. Im including some hobbies of mine and one of them is home brewing my own beer. Is this an appropriate topic to include? Im simply stating how I enjoy the process and looking for new flavors and styles.

Just make sure you can talk the talk -- you may very well end up in an interview with someone who also has that hobby. This is true of any hobby or skill you list in an application.

Reactions: 1 user
well I would focus less on beer brewing specifically and more on your interests and passion for DIY projects. Emphasize a go getter, resourceful and creative attitude

Thanks for the help everyone! Sorry, I was at work and couldnt get back on as yall replied. IT basically just asked what about my background, education, upbringing, could I bring to my Med class that would make me a better addition. Ill definitely use the advice... and bring samples.

Ugh, diversity essays blow...
Can anyone link a good example of a diversity essay? It sounds like a pain in the ass to write, and its difficult to know what is considered emblematic of 'diversity'.

Reactions: 1 user
Going to piggyback on this topic, as I have a general idea of my diversity theme but less about material.

I wrote my personal statement like a diversity essay (this was in hindsight) but was thinking about maybe structuring it to go into more details on what those experiences did for me as a person.

Any ideas on how to be more detailed in terms of being unique if the PS is kind of similar?

I'm imagining you're actually Bush because of your avatar, and it's hilarious.

I'd put it, but don't listen to me- I love craft brewing and think it's a form of art. Just remember, with a topic like this it's how you say it more than anything. Just be savvy about your discussion and it'll be fine.