Appropriate Way of Asking for a Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFballerinaDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the most beneficial way to ask for a letter of recommendation from professors and physical therapists?

I have not necessarily "made friends" with any of my professors, but I haven't ever missed class, so I feel like they would recognize me since I sit near the front.

For the therapists, I shadowed at a facility for 80+ hours, but the therapist gave the vibe that I was a burden on her to shadow her. Should I ask her for a rec, or should I ask someone else at the same facility that saw me shadow her write a letter instead? For schools, I need 2 PT letters and have only shadowed one other facility for 25 hours or so. I don't want to seem like I am bothering them, but it is an important part of the application process.

Are there any strategies that previous applicants have used to approach someone about writing a letter?

Thanks ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Lol, I was worried about this also. I felt like I was going to bother them. Just ask them. I think your just over thinking it.

They will find time to write one. I was nervous about asking the two pts I had write letters because I knew how busy they were. The one owned the clinic i shadowed at and he worked sometimes 7-9 at night at times but he still found time to right me an excellent letter. Don't be afraid to ask though! My professor who wrote mine too I had only had for two classes and really knew him for one semester but was still willing to write one for me too even though he was currently in the process of moving to another state. They know how important letters of rec are so they will take the time if you ask them!

Members don't see this ad :)
A good way to ask a professor to write a recommendation is to make an appointment with them and then talk about it with them. This can also give you an apportunity to tell them about yourself and allow them to ask any questions. Really try to pick someone that knows you the best so that they can testify to your character. That is really what the LORs are about.

What is the most beneficial way to ask for a letter of recommendation from professors and physical therapists?

I have not necessarily "made friends" with any of my professors, but I haven't ever missed class, so I feel like they would recognize me since I sit near the front.

For the therapists, I shadowed at a facility for 80+ hours, but the therapist gave the vibe that I was a burden on her to shadow her. Should I ask her for a rec, or should I ask someone else at the same facility that saw me shadow her write a letter instead? For schools, I need 2 PT letters and have only shadowed one other facility for 25 hours or so. I don't want to seem like I am bothering them, but it is an important part of the application process.

Are there any strategies that previous applicants have used to approach someone about writing a letter?

Thanks ! :)

I have not asked yet for a LOR from a PT, but I will be shortly. I have, however, asked my anatomy and physiology prof for a LOR. I asked her by going to her office hours before class, and I just said I was wondering if you could write me a letter of recommendation, and she said definitely. I would just advise that you ask a professor that knows you well so that they will have a lot of positive things to say about you. In my case, my professor knows me well because I have her for both lecture AND lab so I know her more than I know most of my other professors. You would not want to ask a professor that would not know what to say about you in a LOR.
I know it can be a nerve racking process, but the worse someone can say to you if you ask them if they can write a LOR is no.

Is it bad to email and ask for a LOR? In my case I no longer shadow there but didn't feel comfortable to ask then.

I am wondering the same thing about the email to ask for LOR . I shadowed at 2 facilities last summer and did an extensive number of hours at one of them. I'm not even sure the therapist works there anymore because she was contemplating moving to a different city last summer, and the other one I shadowed was having a baby.

I emailed to ask for LORs. Got in to the programs I applied to with no problems.

Just go ahead and ask via e-mail, or face-to-face. The worst they can do is say no, but I really don't think that's going to happen. The key thing is to give them plenty of time to write it and provide them with all the information they need (personal statement and resume). I also included a small "instruction sheet" with addresseses, deadlines, whether or not they needed to be sealed, etc.

If I plan on applying next summer, when should I begin the process of getting reading for applications and acquiring LOR?

Simply ask if he or she could write a favorable letter for you. Don't be afraid to state the importance of the LORs are for your application. If they do agree to write you a LOR, make sure you make the process for them easy (i.e., provide instructions, stamped envelope, your resume and personal statement). In addition, tell them to keep an electronic copy in case you need more copies (SO IMPORTANT, especially if you find out you have to apply to other programs later on in the future).

Last edited:
Do they have to mail it in, or can they just upload it to the site?