April 1st is next week...Anyone still trying to decide which Dental School to attend?

Hopeandpray

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As April 1st is quickly approaching next week, just wondering if anyone is still having a hard time deciding which school to pick? If you have multiple offers, are you waiting until April 1st or will you wait until school sends a letter? Just curious to know how much movement is still to come in this cycle. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear good news and good luck to those trying to decide!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know I should be grateful because I already have an acceptance to NYU, but for some reasons I feel like I haven't been accepted...:unsure: Maybe because I know I will have to take out massive amount of loan just to pay for their HIGH tuition, not to mention the cost of living in NYC.:meh:

I know I should be grateful because I already have an acceptance to NYU, but for some reasons I feel like I haven't been accepted...:unsure: Maybe because I know I will have to take out massive amount of loan just to pay for their HIGH tuition, not to mention the cost of living in NYC.:meh:
Truth. It's overwhelming but I'm in the same spot and NYU is awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Truth. It's overwhelming but I'm in the same spot and NYU is awesome.
I think some of us are waiting for our state school to decide because it's way cheaper most of the time. If you have to pay $100-200K extra over 4 years, think how the debt would balloon over 20 years. The minimum you will likely carry your DS school loan is 14 years (4 years of deferral while you are in school, then 10 years after if you don't specialize). Specialization sounds nice because you can at least defer the debt payment some more, but it just means that it will get bigger and instead of 10 years to pay it off, you might need 20 years while probably living like a student until you are in your 40's. Before I got accepted, I just wanted to get accepted somewhere, and I did not care to think about how much loan I'll have to take. Now, it's kinda sink in and kinda scary. I also found out that Grad PlusLoan (which you must get, because the Stafford Loan max out at $20K per year) has very high interest rate, something like 8-9%. And I am also carrying about $60K in undergrad loans, which will be added to the new DS loans. Overwhelmed does not even begin to explain it.

Reactions: 1 users
I know what you mean...but I feel in the end somehow it will work out just have to manage money to get through this time. Good luck to you hoping other options come up for you if that's what you want but it's good you got in!

I think some of us are waiting for our state school to decide because it's way cheaper most of the time. If you have to pay $100-200K extra over 4 years, think how the debt would balloon over 20 years. The minimum you will likely carry your DS school loan is 14 years (4 years of deferral while you are in school, then 10 years after if you don't specialize). Specialization sounds nice because you can at least defer the debt payment some more, but it just means that it will get bigger and instead of 10 years to pay it off, you might need 20 years while probably living like a student until you are in your 40's. Before I got accepted, I just wanted to get accepted somewhere, and I did not care to think about how much loan I'll have to take. Now, it's kinda sink in and kinda scary. I also found out that Grad PlusLoan (which you must get, because the Stafford Loan max out at $20K per year) has very high interest rate, something like 8-9%. And I am also carrying about $60K in undergrad loans, which will be added to the new DS loans. Overwhelmed does not even begin to explain it.

If you aren't too picky about where you want to practice(rural areas), you can pay off debts a lot sooner while enjoying a good life style. If you want to practice in a big city from the start, paying off debt will a lot more difficult in most cases.

stafford loan isn't a max of 20k per year.

I decided last night between nyu and ub. Hardest decision I had to make.

WHAT IS the difference beteen DAT and nbde ??? many schools are asking for DAT ...SO is that mean nbde???//

stafford loan isn't a max of 20k per year.

I decided last night between nyu and ub. Hardest decision I had to make.
You are right, max annual unsubsidized stafford loan for graduate students is 20,500, but for dental students, it's 47,167.