Are all med schools this liberal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, because it's a felony if a mandated reporter willingly does not fulfill his obligation.

As for Tired's hypotheticals, unfortunately, we're bound by the rules of our state. But technically, according to the letter of the law, a minor CANNOT consent with someone of majority age because of their age. So a 15 year old taking a roll in a hay with a 38 year old is never okay, even if she "wanted to". As for the various teenage combinations, I know the laws on this vary greatly based on state and there's controversy (see the recent Marcus Dixon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Dixon or Jamie Lynn Spears controversies), but objections should be taken to the legal realm, not the doctor's office.

I agree with Law2Doc, we can't practice "pick and choose" approach to the laws. If we have objections, we still have to follow the letter of the law.

And my objections will be taken to the legal realm...if and when a minor ever gets it together enough to sue me for breaching whatever confidentiality agreement the state says I have with him/her. But thats not likely to happen since I wouldn't ask parents to leave the room. A more practical approach would be to say, with the parents in the room "despite your daughters protests that she is a virgin I have a strong suspicion that she is pregnant and would like to have her take a pregnancy test...these are the risks of not taking the test if she is pregnant and continues on in this state". I have thierby:
1. addressed the possibility that she is pregnant
2. explained what I want to do
3. Informed the parents without violating the patients confidentiallity since she never admited to anything in thier absence.
4. Left the decision to her and her parents.

conversely...it can be mentioned to a parent if they were absent during the original interaction (ER or office visit etc) that a Pregnancy test is ALWAYS (and it should be...cheap and easy) routinely performed by you for your adolecent female patients with abdominal complaints. "oh, and by the way due to confidentiality laws I can only release those records to you if she allows me...(now get in there and make her allow me)" The part in parenthesis is implied and most parents get it. They will know that the test has been done and can then demand from thier daughter the results. You never violated confidentiality, you just stated your policy.

these are things you learn working in an ER that they don't teach you in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

However, if you DO find a teenager who gets a lawyer and sues you for violation of confidentiality, you've found yourself in an indefensible position. You could lose a big settlement and then find yourself played by a B list actor on the Lifetime movie of the week.

Exactly. This definitely does happen now and then. I know a lawyer who practices this kind of "adolescent law", and he seems to have a full plate, so somehow some small number kids are, in fact, finding legal representation. How you practice in real life, and what legal risk you want to take, is up to you (and your employer and insurance carrier), but you have to at least know when you are putting yourself out on a limb. The "everybody does it" defense never holds up, and there is real liability here when the planets line up just right. Certainly as a med student you ought to learn it the right way, and as a practitioner it certainly isn't a bad idea to follow the rules, or at least come up with more defensible "tricks" of the trade such as what I think dynx is describing.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing that may have been lost in these presentations the school gave is the fact that you ARE expected to use tact in asking these questions. You're not supposed to just blurt out to some woman, "So, does your husband kick your ass regularly?" There are ways to ask about this topic non-offensively, and you certainly should. Same goes with the sexual orientation question. Someone asked for an example of a disease with an orientation skew. Well, how about HIV? HIV is still most prevalent in homosexual males, although it certainly has gained ground in other populations. Is this some vast bigoted stereotype? No, there are biological reasons that the virus spreads more easily in that population. It's the same reason that a man is much more likely to infect a female than vice versa.

So why ask about the men/women/both question at all? Well, what about the guy who comes in with weight loss, night sweats, and a strange new rash who's been happily married for 30 years? You might make certain medical assumptions based on that description (although I think WL, NS, and a KS spot would make me think AIDS no matter what, or at least I hope I would! :D ). However, if you ask the M/W/B question in a non-threatening, non-judgmental way, maybe you find out about that 'one time in Vegas' when he was drunk at some convention and slept with a guy ONCE, and has never admitted it to anyone. DING DING DING. Completely shifts the clinical picture.

The extreme liberals I've met are opposed to the "men, women, or both" question because they think the HIV statistics are dated and get mad when they can't give blood because of their sexual identity... Those are the liberals the OP should be against if any, but on this issue they seem to agree with him ;)

The extreme liberals I've met are opposed to the "men, women, or both" question because they think the HIV statistics are dated and get mad when they can't give blood because of their sexual identity... Those are the liberals the OP should be against if any, but on this issue they seem to agree with him ;)

Haha, just had a flashback to M1 year, when a conversation got a little heated when an acquaintance wouldn't admit that certain populations are still at risk for HIV greater than others based on sexual practices. Even printed off the literature showing the rate for MSM (men who have sex with men) vs. not and she STILL said it was "biased". Sigh.

And my objections will be taken to the legal realm...if and when a minor ever gets it together enough to sue me for breaching whatever confidentiality agreement the state says I have with him/her. But thats not likely to happen since I wouldn't ask parents to leave the room. A more practical approach would be to say, with the parents in the room "despite your daughters protests that she is a virgin I have a strong suspicion that she is pregnant and would like to have her take a pregnancy test...these are the risks of not taking the test if she is pregnant and continues on in this state". I have thierby:
1. addressed the possibility that she is pregnant
2. explained what I want to do
3. Informed the parents without violating the patients confidentiallity since she never admited to anything in thier absence.
4. Left the decision to her and her parents.

conversely...it can be mentioned to a parent if they were absent during the original interaction (ER or office visit etc) that a Pregnancy test is ALWAYS (and it should be...cheap and easy) routinely performed by you for your adolecent female patients with abdominal complaints. "oh, and by the way due to confidentiality laws I can only release those records to you if she allows me...(now get in there and make her allow me)" The part in parenthesis is implied and most parents get it. They will know that the test has been done and can then demand from thier daughter the results. You never violated confidentiality, you just stated your policy.

these are things you learn working in an ER that they don't teach you in medical school.

Since minors, by law, have the right to confidentiality regarding sexual health, didn't you violate that by bringing up a component of their sexual history in front of their parents (aka possibility of being pregnant)? Isn't this like asking an abused women, in front of her boyfriend, if she feels safe at home? or like telling a patient in front of their friend/SO that you suspect they have cancer or anything else? My point is, you just put your patient on the spot and that whoever else is in the room now (POTENTIALLY) knows enough about the patient's health, even if is just a speculation. Your "suspicion" was based on your medical knowledge, and by asserting that in front the parents (who by law shouldn't know about this pregnancy without consent), you breached the patient doctor confidentiality.

Please excuse my repetitive and twisted logic; you might be able to tell that I was an engineer in a previous life :). Others might know more about this.

I'll practice medicine with you any day, sir. :thumbup:

-X

A lot of us law types were admitted to med school precisely because we wrote in our essays how our legal background might help us and our peers keep out of these jams that you "pick and choose" folks keep getting into.:)

Dear forum moderaters, maybe this thread should be sent to the social political forum.

Oh yeah Trismegistus4, I remember you. You were the same fellow in the social political forum where you said you bitterly despise racial minorities and said they should not go into medicine. Maybe you will remember a thread you made where you tried to justify yourself called "I am not a Nazi" - and if I remember correctly, gostudy, W222, and others ripped you to pieces for that statement and you made a fool out of yourself.

A few months later, you made another thread where you adovocated that Muslims be kicked out of the country. I asked you why, and you gave me an answer that went something along the lines of "America is a Christian country so we have to kick them out - and that Muslims hate the US Constitution."

You then said that Christianity is compatible with the Constitution. And then you tried to insult me because I am also Christian and saying I was some sort of "fake liberalist Christian." If you met me in person I do not think you would walk away with the impression that I am a fake or somehow brainwashed by the liberal arts education of colleges.

I remember cutting and pasting Amendment 1 and Amendment 15 of the Constitution and you never responded. We were left wondering how you could say something like "Christianity made the Constitution" and then turn around and say racial minorities don't belong in medicine and adovocated that up right, law abiding, tax paying citizens who are Muslims be banned and kicked out of thier country. Bottom line was you were advocating that the US Goverment persecute against specific groups you had a political axe to grind with.

Because you got humulitated in the social political forum, you are now trying to find sympathy in the allopathic forum...:laugh: To answer your question: yes, you are a Nazi. People like you are trying to turn Christianity into some sort of political right wing fascist agenda. You despise minorities, despise women, and advocate that the federal goverment actively persecute law abiding, tax paying citizens because of their religion.

Then you had the audacity to say that liberalism is the enemy of "Western Civilization." That's very curious statment to me since I thought Immanuel Kant, John Stuart Mills, John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, and a whole list of other European philosophers were part of the heritage of "Western Civilization." And even more curious is that if you read into a lot of these said authors, you will find them talking at various points about religion and Christianity. At times they are sympathetic, other times they are critical. And it is of my limited opinion that a lot of good came out of their discourse and dialoge on religion. It is obvious to me that you never read these authors.

Trismegistus4 said:
I know we live in a basically liberal society, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I thought there might be some of this stuff in the air around me, this being a university and all, but it would be easy to just shrug it off and concentrate on studying medicine. But it's proven very demoralizing; it's hard to hunker down and study biochem pathways when you're constantly being reminded that all of your future colleagues, and even the very profession you're entering as a whole, are hell-bent on destroying Western civilization.

So I am only left wondering how you can so readily conclude that liberalism is the enemy of Western Civilization - and you have repeatedly stated that in many of your threads. If you still feel this way, then it's no wonder you are so shocked by the "liberalism" you see in medical school. :smuggrin:

I go to some strange school out in the mountains of West Virginia, but you will find a lot of philosophers and theologians in my class. Many of them are conservative in thinking, but none of them subscribe to what you are advocating here in this thread, and in past threads.

CC

Wow, my thread really took off.

Tertiary syphilis. Look it up, know-it-all.
As I said, I'm just a first-year student. So it wasn't the greatest example. Are you going to claim that absolutely every possible complaint could be a sign of an STD? Or are you going to admit that there are times when it's not relevant to ask a patient if he's sexually active with men, women, or both?

Law2Doc said:
You have a duty to a patient and that duty includes confidentiality and legally imposed patient information privacy obligations. You follow your professional oath and obligations or are committing malpractice.
I may be wrong about this, and you're welcome to correct me with hard evidence, but I sincerely doubt that, say, 50 years ago, a doctor who discovered that an unmarried minor patient was sexually active would not have told the patient's parents. So were doctors 50 years ago not fulfilling their duties? Were they unprofessional and committing malpractice? No, what has happened is that the professional organizations', and to a lesser extent society's, and certainly trial lawyers', beliefs about what physicians' duties are, about what constitutes malpractice, have changed. And if they have changed before then 1) they could change again, and 2) they are a legitimate topic for debate. And what I am saying is that the direction in which they have changed is a liberal direction.

CatsandCradles, I do not consider you to have "owned" me. I remember the threads you are talking about, and you are telling gross lies about them, such as that I said I "bitterly despise racial minorities," that I was somehow "ripped to pieces" and made a fool out of myself over claiming that I was not a Nazi, that I "despise" minorities and women. I suddenly became very busy when those threads were active, and I simply didn't have time to respond. If someone wants to have those discussions, I will resurrect the threads, but I'm not going to debate someone who blatantly lies about what I said.

Regardless, those topics are for the Sociopoliltical forum. This thread is about medical school, and properly belongs in the Allopathic forum.

As I said, I'm just a first-year student. So it wasn't the greatest example. Are you going to claim that absolutely every possible complaint could be a sign of an STD? Or are you going to admit that there are times when it's not relevant to ask a patient if he's sexually active with men, women, or both?

a complete history is a complete history. as you say, you're only a first year, so you really have no clue what you're talking about here. the purpose of a complete history is to learn everything you can about a patient and fully understand not only the disease that is affecting them but how it may be affecting them.

there's a lot of touchy-feely crap out there that can be a hassle as a first year to trudge through, but taking a complete history isn't part of that. it also isn't some crazy liberal concept either.

maybe you have a 75 year old patient with hypertension - his medications are causing impotence. this in turn is causing depression because he had a healthy sex life before these medications interfered. you determine that his problem is hypertension, so you talk to him about his diet, take his blood pressure and avoid talking about sex because it makes you uncomfortable or it's too "liberal" to talk about such things. you have done a huge disservice to your patient by ignoring his sex life and how a seemingly unrelated condition is having a larger impact on his life.

you ask everyone about every aspect of your life. that is your job is a physician. if you don't like the job description of being a physician, there are thousands of people waiting to take your spot.

oh, and for the record, your 75 year old with hypertension can be straight, gay or bi. and regardless, i'll bet he likes sex. turns out, it's a lot of fun.

CatsandCradles, I do not consider you to have "owned" me. I remember the threads you are talking about, and you are telling gross lies about them, such as that I said I "bitterly despise racial minorities," that I was somehow "ripped to pieces" and made a fool out of myself over claiming that I was not a Nazi, that I "despise" minorities and women. I suddenly became very busy when those threads were active, and I simply didn't have time to respond. If someone wants to have those discussions, I will resurrect the threads, but I'm not going to debate someone who blatantly lies about what I said.

Regardless, those topics are for the Sociopoliltical forum. This thread is about medical school, and properly belongs in the Allopathic forum.

Yup - sure thing pal...all lies... :smuggrin:

Oh dude, and while we're at it, why don't you explain to everyone here why you think the federal government should be persecuting law abiding, tax paying citizens who are Muslims?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the volvo driving new york times reading part. How come every super conservative person feels there is an evil liberal out to get them. I am still confused how gay union does anything bad. It does not affect the person in any way, and the people who cite the bible don't seem to realize the vast majority of changes the bible has undergone and how much they disobey it on a regular basis. I am not about socialized medicine...unless it is reworked from the ground up which will NEVER happen here. Most of the other stuff seems pretty understandable to me. Believe it or not, booting the parent out to talk to the kid about contraception isn't a bad idea. If their parents taught them proper morals then it is no biggie, and if they choose to have sex, well it is much easier to get through to them without the parents breathing down their neck. I don't know..I guess I hate the term "liberal" and I hate the term "conservative". They have lost the original meaning...and aside from one quoting jesus and the other quoting college professors, they don't really hold to their ideas. The conservative party used to never want to get involved with foreign affairs. Now we are not patriotic if we don't. It was "liberal" progressive thinkers of the time that founded this country. I'm tired of each side constantly thinking they are under attack. Suck it up. I hear blatantly biased viewpoints on both sides every day..Hell, the conservative side seems much more blatant about it to me. I'm yet to think of one truly strong policy decision that was firmly based in the nation's beliefs and not his own that has benefited us. He treats this entire country like we are stupid...which we are, but he goes against all evidence half the time. As Lewis Black pointed out, we have no true energy plan, we have an education system going into the ****ter, the economy is losing ground, and all we worry about is abortion and gays getting married. I am so tired of politics...When is "compromise" going to be part of the vocabular?

I like the volvo driving new york times reading part.

Oh my Gawd! You drive a volvo? How dare you!

That's ok...I drive a Civic, so I guess this means means we both contribute to the destruction of Western Civilization :laugh:

I don't really believe you're a first year student, and if you are, you're probably failing your clinical medicine course. You obviously have no comprehension of the purpose of the review of systems and past medical history. Your discussion with your patient should NOT be limited to the chief complaint. The point of the review of systems is to uncover problems the patient may not realize he has. Part of this is GU and sexual history. It is ALWAYS relevant to ask about this, regardless of the CC.

I may be wrong about this, and you're welcome to correct me with hard evidence, but I sincerely doubt that, say, 50 years ago, a doctor who discovered that an unmarried minor patient was sexually active would not have told the patient's parents. So were doctors 50 years ago not fulfilling their duties? Were they unprofessional and committing malpractice? No, what has happened is that the professional organizations', and to a lesser extent society's, and certainly trial lawyers', beliefs about what physicians' duties are, about what constitutes malpractice, have changed. And if they have changed before then 1) they could change again, and 2) they are a legitimate topic for debate. And what I am saying is that the direction in which they have changed is a liberal direction.

Docs also used to routinely withhold information, including diagnoses, from patients. They used to do things such as schedule a surgery for a patient and not discuss it with them until they were getting ready to wheel him to the OR, because after all, it isn't the patient's choice whether to have surgery, it's the docs COMMAND. But since you seem to be a supporter of medical paternalism, let your doctor know that you don't need any information about your health, and to just issue you instructions to blindly follow. After all, that info isn't any of your business, anyway.

Oh, and if you ever have an affair, tell your doctor about it so he can check you for STDs. And make sure that he tells your spouse all about it, even if you are completely clean. After all, if your spouse was cheating on you, you'd want to know, right? It's doctor Bob's job to be daddy!

I may be wrong about this, and you're welcome to correct me with hard evidence, but I sincerely doubt that, say, 50 years ago, a doctor who discovered that an unmarried minor patient was sexually active would not have told the patient's parents. So were doctors 50 years ago not fulfilling their duties? Were they unprofessional and committing malpractice?

The law is not a stagnant thing. Your only concern as a physician has to be what will get you in hot water for malpractice TODAY, not 50 years ago. Adolescents have legal rights today that they didn't have 50 years ago. Physicians have legal obligations (eg. HIPAA) that they didn't have 50 years ago. Science has also changed in the last 50 years, making certain information now useful to know, that may have been thought irrelevant back then. (And NONE of this has any relation to liberalism of med schools BTW). Unless you own a time machine and plan to go back and practice in the 60s, your argument is weak.

Could the law change again? Sure, but the way law works it is much much harder to take away rights than to grant them, so it's probably folly to think this will be undone during the course of your career. And again, your med school would be doing you a disservice if they didn't teach you what you needed to do to satisfy the obligations you have today (not 50 years ago or 50 years hence). That isn't them being liberal, that is them giving you the tools you need to practice in today's landscape.

Oh no. Swedish automotive engineering and All Things Considered. Sounds like Hell. I will pray for you.

plus, considering volvo is under the ford motor company umbrella - isn't just a good old american car anyways? ;)

Exactly, you are just a first year student. You don't even know what diseases can present with what symptoms, yet you already know taking a complete social history is absolutely unnecessary unless you can see the chancre through your patient's pants (or the broken nose or the fat lip).

There isn't a liberal conspiracy at your school; they are just trying to teach you how to be a good physician. When you have learned enough to argue with what you are being taught, you can argue; until then, sit back and try to drink the water from the fire hydrant.

a complete history is a complete history. as you say, you're only a first year, so you really have no clue what you're talking about here.
LOL, and you're a second-year, a veritable expert in clinical practice. :rolleyes:
the purpose of a complete history is to learn everything you can about a patient and fully understand not only the disease that is affecting them but how it may be affecting them.

there's a lot of touchy-feely crap out there that can be a hassle as a first year to trudge through, but taking a complete history isn't part of that. it also isn't some crazy liberal concept either.

maybe you have a 75 year old patient with hypertension - his medications are causing impotence. this in turn is causing depression because he had a healthy sex life before these medications interfered. you determine that his problem is hypertension, so you talk to him about his diet, take his blood pressure and avoid talking about sex because it makes you uncomfortable or it's too "liberal" to talk about such things. you have done a huge disservice to your patient by ignoring his sex life and how a seemingly unrelated condition is having a larger impact on his life.

you ask everyone about every aspect of your life. that is your job is a physician. if you don't like the job description of being a physician, there are thousands of people waiting to take your spot.

oh, and for the record, your 75 year old with hypertension can be straight, gay or bi. and regardless, i'll bet he likes sex. turns out, it's a lot of fun.
I see you've drunk the Kool-Aid on this one. Believe me, I've heard it already. Our liberalism seminar actually had a session on sexual histories which included a lecture on what a shame it is that many doctors don't take a sexual history and what a disservice they're doing to their patients. The idea was not that you could miss risk factors for disease; it was that you're somehow providing incomplete care because maybe the patient isn't happy with their sex life but they're too embarassed to bring it up, and you as their doctor should bring it up because then you'll discover that they need Viagra to be happy or whatever.

It's good that you used this example, because it makes it easy to see how this is really motivated by liberalism. We're not talking about the supposed need to grill a seemingly normal, happily married, suburban white man about whether he has gay sex because if we don't we might not find out that he's at increased risk for HIV. We're talking about the idea that it's a doctor's job to help his patients become sexually fulfilled, and not only is it his job, it's his job to such an extent that even if his patients don't care to mention that they're not sexually fulfilled, he must broach the subject and continue prying until he's satisfied that they are sexually fulfilled. That is a liberal idea, coming straight from modern liberalism's emphasis on sexual fulfillment as the apotheosis of human happiness.

This can be seen in your little barb "turns out, it's a lot of fun." Liberals are always making comments like that, trying to show that those who believe in traditional morality are naive and if we only had proper knowledge, we'd come around to the liberal point of view. If you were motivated only by the desire to catch risk factors for disease, there would be no reason to say something like that. You could even say "I agree with you, the norm for our society should be that sex is reserved for marriage, and there should be strong taboos and social stigma against other sexual practices to keep them to a minimum, BUT at the same time we know that these other sexual practices are out there, so in order to provide the best medical care we must inquire about them. I'm not advocating that frank and open discussions of homosexualilty or of sexual activity among unmarried teenagers become publically normal in our society, but we as doctors have a special dispensation to deal with these things in private, behind closed doors, one-on-one with our patients, just to make sure we have complete knowledge of their medical history." But you don't say that; instead, you sarcastically inform me that sex is "a lot of fun."

MattD said:
I don't really believe you're a first year student, and if you are, you're probably failing your clinical medicine course. You obviously have no comprehension of the purpose of the review of systems and past medical history. Your discussion with your patient should NOT be limited to the chief complaint. The point of the review of systems is to uncover problems the patient may not realize he has. Part of this is GU and sexual history. It is ALWAYS relevant to ask about this, regardless of the CC.
I am a first year student, and I'm not failing my liberalism seminar. I'm well aware of the purpose of the review of systems and prior medical history. We had it drilled into us from day 1 that it's really important to start with open-ended questions, and to always ask "what else is bothering you" so as not to miss anything. In fact, we were told that it was so important that we should NOT ask "is there anything else" but rather "what else," because the former gives the patient an easy opportunity to say no while the latter forces them to think about whether there's anything else. That's how important we were taught it was. Believe me, I've heard it before. I just don't agree with it.

I'm getting really sick of liberals constantly implying that conservatives are naive or ignorant.

By the way, don't you see these liberal practices as their own form of paternalism? When we're taught these things, there's definitely an air of "the patient doesn't know what's best for him, and you have to do what's right even if their ignorant naive right-wing tendencies get in the way" about it. For example, pushing someone to talk about his sex life when he doesn't want to just so you can find out if he needs some Viagra, grilling a teenage girl about whether her father "makes her uncomfortable" when you have no reason to suspect anything, implying that a patient will violate his own beliefs (I was once asked by an NP whether I was sexually active, and upon hearing my answer of "no, and I wouldn't be unless I were married," she still made sure to ask "but you know you need to use condoms if you do, right?") Those aren't examples of paternalism?

Law2Doc said:
The law is not a stagnant thing. Your only concern as a physician has to be what will get you in hot water for malpractice TODAY, not 50 years ago. Adolescents have legal rights today that they didn't have 50 years ago. Physicians have legal obligations (eg. HIPAA) that they didn't have 50 years ago. Science has also changed in the last 50 years, making certain information now useful to know, that may have been thought irrelevant back then. (And NONE of this has any relation to liberalism of med schools BTW). Unless you own a time machine and plan to go back and practice in the 60s, your argument is weak.

Could the law change again? Sure, but the way law works it is much much harder to take away rights than to grant them, so it's probably folly to think this will be undone during the course of your career. And again, your med school would be doing you a disservice if they didn't teach you what you needed to do to satisfy the obligations you have today (not 50 years ago or 50 years hence). That isn't them being liberal, that is them giving you the tools you need to practice in today's landscape.
See my response to jbrice1639 above. It's not as though the school is teaching us "we don't agree with the law, but it's the law and you must follow it" or "we do not take a position on whether the law is good or bad, but it's the law and you must follow it." My school deeply believes in this stuff. It comes across constantly in the way it's presented, and I shouldn't need to say anything more than that the person in charge of it is a social worker. And the people who believe in this stuff--the administration of my school and the vast majority of my classmates--are the people who vote in governmental elections, the people who join and influence professional societies, the people who lobby Congress, the people who are ultimately responsible for the fact that the law has changed, that our policies have changed, that the way society looks at these issues has changed. So you can't separate the law from people's beliefs about morality. That social worker who heads the liberalism seminar is going to go into the voting booth and pull the lever for John Edwards.
SocialistMD said:
There isn't a liberal conspiracy at your school; they are just trying to teach you how to be a good physician.
Why do liberals always accuse conservatives of thinking that there is a liberal conspiracy? I never said it was a conspiracy. That would imply I that I believe there's something secretive about it. There's no secret; it's just liberalism.

Also, since you mentioned the "good physician" issue, I will take the opportunity to ask all in this thread who have expressed similar sentiments: do you believe that in the past, all doctors were bad doctors because they did not routinely ask all patients whether they had homosexual sex? That until this became common practice, there was no such thing as a good doctor? Please note, that is a yes or no question.

I see you've drunk the Kool-Aid on this one.

Sort of the pot calling the kettle black here.
I think you are hung up on some poorly fleshed out notion of "liberalism" at the expense of reason. Your school doesn't care about your political or religious leanings. They care about patient care. That you cannot see the forest for the trees here, and don't understand why certain questions must be asked just means you have a lot more education ahead of you. And yes, even social workers know more about patient care than you at this point in your education. Bear in mind that as someone who seems to have disdain for certain family dynamics and abuse situations, you will likely be referring many many cases for social work consults; you sure don't sound like someone who wants to deal with them yourself. So social work might become your best friend before long.
And just a correction -- most liberals aren't pro-Edwards (as you should know from the primary results to date).
As for your final "yes or no" question, the answer is that physicians need to ask questions which are important based on the current knowledge and science. So no, the folks who didn't ask that question "in the past" weren't bad doctors, but if they don't ask it today, they would be. Much like you wouldn't be a bad doctor if your patient died of a disease which would have been curable by penicillin (had it been invented yet) back in the 1930s, but you would be today. The world (of disease, science, knowledge, treatments) has changed. Those that don't change with it become bad doctors. You can't be good if you keep your head in the sand. And pointing to what was done in the past is a really foolish way to argue. Knowledge evolves. You must too.

Also, since you mentioned the "good physician" issue, I will take the opportunity to ask all in this thread who have expressed similar sentiments: do you believe that in the past, all doctors were bad doctors because they did not routinely ask all patients whether they had homosexual sex? That until this became common practice, there was no such thing as a good doctor? Please note, that is a yes or no question.

Please note my answer: No, I don't think they were bad doctors. Now, I have some yes and no questions for you: Do you think FDR was a bad president because he continued to allow segregation? Do you think it was a good idea to give antibiotics for a viral infection?

There have been several people who have replied to you saying the same thing; medicine is a fluid thing that changes with advancing knowledge. Fifty years ago, there wasn't the knowledge that there are specific subgroups of the population that were more or less at risk than others. Fifty years ago, people also didn't have HIV/AIDS. Should we even ask or screen for it now? I mean, if they didn't need to do so fifty years ago, it can't be a problem now...:rolleyes:

You still have a great deal of learning to be done, both from the books and from life. There are so many complexities to the social aspect of medicine that you don't even know exist; do not shut your eyes and ears to them already in your training just because they make you uncomfortable because you will be a far worse physician for it.

plus, considering volvo is under the ford motor company umbrella - isn't just a good old american car anyways? ;)

I'm willing to bet the engineering is still done predominantly by a bunch of guys named Sven.

OP, you give legitimate conservatives like myself and many others on this board a bad name. Talking about sexual orientation with your patients and providing them with birth control is not "liberalism," it's good practice of medicine. You don't have to condone their way of life in any way, but you still have to facilitate their good health in whatever way is necessary. In a similar scenario, if a patient presents with a drug overdose, what do you do? You treat them and eventually let them back out on the street, knowing that they will probably go back to drugs once they leave the hospital. Does this mean that you condone drug use? No. It means you have an obligation to take care of a patient even though you do not agree with things their personal choices. You don't have to condone teenagers having sex, men having sex with men, or women staying in an abusive relationship but these people WILL be your patients some day. It's your job to give them the same level of care you give anybody else.

It's people like you that make liberals think that those of us who want a smaller central government are heartless bigots. Thanks, buddy.:thumbup:

OP, It's not an issue of liberal versus conservative moral values. It's an issue of liberal versus conservative medicine, and of covering your own ass. You're on the liberal side of this argument my friend. If you don't ask these things because you don't believe that it's you're place to address them as a physician, you miss swaths of information that will rule in/out pieces of your differential diagnoses and guide your diagnostic approach. You will be evaluated on your ability to do this during your third and fourth year...if you blow off those pertinent questions, you're going to get reamed and probably end up with some less than stellar evals to your own horror.

As a very simple example: 14 YO female presents with RLQ abdominal pain, rebound pain, guarding, fever, nausea and vomiting. Straight to the top of your differential should be ectopic pregnancy amd appendicitis...her sexual practices have a direct impact on how you manage this diagnosis. If you automatically rule out the fact that she may be pregnant from your mind, you may have just killed her when it ruptures. Her parents will be pissed and they'll sue you and you'll have to move to Mexico if you ever want to practice medicine again.

Just because you are morally conservative does not mean that every one of your patients will be. Perhaps you should wait to judge the value of these questions you're being taught to ask until you've actually spoken to a patient. It may seem like hippie liberal crap that's put into your training to be politically correct, but you're going to encounter many situations where you need to ask those questions. When your beliefs compromise your ability to provide the standard of care, you are plain negligent in your duties and wrong. Good luck in your clinical training with that attitude.

If you think the only danger in being over-aggressive is getting a reaction of "ick, anal sex" as one other poster put it, read this blog entry sparked by a Boston Herald article and the commments on the article.

Finally, using the Boston Herald as a source is the rough equivalent to quoting the National Enquirer. That rag is widely known in the Boston area for its poor fact checking and the pure filth that it publishes on a daily basis. Yes, the physician overstepped her bounds in this one anecdotal example that you used. However, how would you feel if you didn't screen the house for firearms and little Jimmy shot himself in the face? Pretty negligent is my guess.

Ok OP, so, I'll bite. I'm about as morally conservative a person as you're going to find. Do i consider pre-marital sex wrong? yes. Do I think drug use is morally wrong? yes. Homosexuality ? yes. BUT, while I think these things, I know that my patients in large part do not. My job is not to be a moral guide for these people, but to treat physical ailments (and mental if you include psych). So, to that end, I will ask them if they are sexually active, with whom and what, in order to counsel them to avoid risky behavior (eg MSM, WSW, IVDA, etc) which would influence their HEALTH. If, however, you can't separate the job of physician and moral guide, you probably picked the wrong career. The clergy might be more along the lines of what you would prefer.

In treating patient's whose lifestyle choices I disagree with, I don't have to sacrifice my own beliefs, but it would be inapropriate to use my
position as a physician in order to change their beliefs. You might think this moral cowardice, but it is the reality of current day medical practice. Good luck and keep us posted with how the liberal brainwashing goes.

That having been said, I am going to call Troll since it seems this guy is just trying to fan some flames...

LOL, and you're a second-year, a veritable expert in clinical practice. :rolleyes:
nope, not a veritable expert, but a relative one...to you in this case. so thanks, for trying to shoot me down by implying i know no more than you, but, well, i know a lot more than you.

and, for the record, i never said i was a liberal - in fact, my very point is that the things you're calling liberal have nothing to do with politics. i myself am a moral, married, practicing Catholic and a political moderate. i still believe in the importance of a complete history without any bias of my own political or religious beliefs or my own personal morals dictating what questions i ask my patients.

and yes, as a moral, married, practicing catholic, i still say sex is fun. so there.

as for this argument - it's a moot point. were all doctors who practiced blood-letting bad doctors? no. they were acting to the best of their ability with the knowledge available at the time. same goes for doctors 50 years ago - practices change, knowledge increases, and good physicians keep up with medical advances.

so to answer your yes or no question, no they were not bad doctors. yes, they would be bad doctors if they refused to advance in a field that is constantly evolving.

so to answer your yes or no question, no they were not bad doctors. yes, they would be bad doctors if they refused to advance in a field that is constantly evolving.

Oh my God! You said evolving, you dirty stinking liberal! Everybody knows medical knowledge is by intelligent design!

I think the above poster needs to remeber that being a doctor isn't about him and what he considers right/worng or what makes him uncomfortable, but doing what is in the best interest of his patient. Those three examples you gave are all for your patients well being not yours, my school likes to tell us nobody cares about how you feel its only about your patient and doing whats best for them. Its not our place to stand on a platform and decided whats best for our patients but to lay out all the options and let them decide.

I guess if someone has the flu, you are not to tell their parents. Having an underage daughter give birth or have an abortion is going to affect all of the immediate family regardless if the information was obtained secretly. Not telling the parents and then expecting the parents to continue to parent the child is rediculous.

Liberalism is being so open minded that your brains fall out.

The child should be encouraged to discuss the problem with her parents and if necessary, with the physcian in the room when the subject is first discussed with the parents. Many hide behind keeping a secret to keep the conflict from involving themselves. A family health problems should be discussed by the family with help from professionals, MD's.

When my daughter entered college there was a Dean of Freshmen who told the audience that under the rules that if your child were admitted to a hospital that information could not be given to the parents without the newly minted adult's permission. How stupid. He also told us that he would break the law and call the parents and let whoever sue. Common sense has a place in some colleges. Thank God.

The child should be encouraged to discuss the problem with her parents and if necessary, with the physcian in the room when the subject is first discussed with the parents. Many hide behind keeping a secret to keep the conflict from involving themselves. A family health problems should be discussed by the family with help from professionals, MD's.

absolutely. doctors should never actively prevent open dialog. the patient absolutely should be encouraged to have an open discussion with her parents. and the doctor absolutely should offer to be present in that discussion.

however, the patient has a right to not tell the parents if she chooses, and the doctor does NOT have the right to override the rights of his/her patient.

When my daughter entered college there was a Dean of Freshmen who told the audience that under the rules that if your child were admitted to a hospital that information could not be given to the parents without the newly minted adult's permission. How stupid. He also told us that he would break the law and call the parents and let whoever sue. Common sense has a place in some colleges. Thank God.
That's pretty presumptuous. What if the student listed both mother and father because the school insisted, but only has a relationship with one of them because the other was abusive? There could be VERY legitimate reasons for not wanting to notify a parent about a personal situation. If I check a box saying "yes, please call my parents" then go ahead and do so, but if I don't, you'd be making a huge assumption in calling them. That's what I think is stupid.

That's pretty presumptuous. What if the student listed both mother and father because the school insisted, but only has a relationship with one of them because the other was abusive? There could be VERY legitimate reasons for not wanting to notify a parent about a personal situation. If I check a box saying "yes, please call my parents" then go ahead and do so, but if I don't, you'd be making a huge assumption in calling them. That's what I think is stupid.
Exactly. And good grief, the previous poster is talking about ADULTS!!! It's just beyond freaky to force parental involvement on an adult. That is neither the business of a school or of any health care provider. Adults have the right to designate their emergency contact, and even to not have anyone contacted at all.

Taking actions you know are against the law and can get you sued and fired is simply not "common sense". And it is not just his personal liability, but the school could be financially ruined as well. He is creating HUGE liability for the school if he makes that call. If the school's counsel heard this, the dude will very likely be reprimanded, if not fired. And as a parent I'd be concerned at having my child go to a school where the dean shows a willingness to ignore the law. Who knows what other laws he's willing to ignore? The law is not something you can pick and choose to follow as you deem fit-- you either are a good citizen and American, or you aren't. He apparently isn't. Not someone I'd put in charge of my kids. Common sense might be that you say you disagree with the law and are going to work to get it changed. That is how this country works, the American way. If you don't agree with the law, you work to change it. If you flagrantly break it, you accept the punishment. And that is generally very foolish, unless you have nothing to lose.

If you don't ask these things because you don't believe that it's you're place to address them as a physician, you miss swaths of information that will rule in/out pieces of your differential diagnoses...
As a very simple example: 14 YO female presents with RLQ abdominal pain, rebound pain, guarding, fever, nausea and vomiting. Straight to the top of your differential should be ectopic pregnancy amd appendicitis...her sexual practices have a direct impact on how you manage this diagnosis.

LOL yeah sure. How about not asking questions that won't change how you manage a patient? I might as well ask her what color shirt she was wearing last thursday and base my management on that if Im gonna get or not-get a pregnancy test depending upon what she says when i ask her if she's having sex. So lets see?
14 YO female RLQ pain, etc etc...
"you having sex?" NO! -> order pregnancy test
"you having sex?" Yep -> order pregnancy test

Taking actions you know are against the law and can get you sued and fired is simply not "common sense". And it is not just his personal liability, but the school could be financially ruined as well. He is creating HUGE liability for the school if he makes that call. If the school's counsel heard this, the dude will very likely be reprimanded, if not fired. And as a parent I'd be concerned at having my child go to a school where the dean shows a willingness to ignore the law. Who knows what other laws he's willing to ignore? The law is not something you can pick and choose to follow as you deem fit-- you either are a good citizen and American, or you aren't. He apparently isn't. Not someone I'd put in charge of my kids. Common sense might be that you say you disagree with the law and are going to work to get it changed. That is how this country works, the American way. If you don't agree with the law, you work to change it. If you flagrantly break it, you accept the punishment. And that is generally very foolish, unless you have nothing to lose.

Fundamentally, I agree with you that a person should be prepared to accept the consequences of breaking the law, but saying you're not a good citizen or an American for breaking the law is absolutely ridiculous.

Ever driven a car because if you have I guarantee you broke the law. Ever jay walked? Ever downloaded an illegal mp3? Ever tape a football game? Being a law abiding citizen is neat, but it doesn't grant you the status of "good American" or "good citizen." Sometimes the law is wrong, and while I agree any person who breaks it should be prepared to accept the LEGAL consequences whether or not it has any ethical bearing on the moral worth of the person is unfortunately an entirely separate issue. Sometimes being a good American means conscientiously breaking the law. Civil disobedience anyone?

And I think it's obvious that breaking one law doesn't mean one has the capacity to break all others, as you also suggest. Once again to use the traffic example, yeah I'll break the speed limit but that doesn't mean I will go and steal a car afterwards.

The dean used in the OPs original example may risk incurring severe liability for his institution as a conscientious objector to what he thinks is a bad law (and he has some worthwhile moral justifications for that) but that doesn't mean he's a criminal and the school is worthless. That's just silly.

Point successfully belabored.

Fundamentally, I agree with you that a person should be prepared to accept the consequences of breaking the law, but saying you're not a good citizen or an American for breaking the law is absolutely ridiculous.

Ever driven a car because if you have I guarantee you broke the law. Ever jay walked? Ever downloaded an illegal mp3? Ever tape a football game? Being a law abiding citizen is neat, but it doesn't grant you the status of "good American" or "good citizen." Sometimes the law is wrong, and while I agree any person who breaks it should be prepared to accept the LEGAL consequences whether or not it has any ethical bearing on the moral worth of the person is unfortunately an entirely separate issue. Sometimes being a good American means conscientiously breaking the law. Civil disobedience anyone?

And I think it's obvious that breaking one law doesn't mean one has the capacity to break all others, as you also suggest. Once again to use the traffic example, yeah I'll break the speed limit but that doesn't mean I will go and steal a car afterwards.

The dean used in the OPs original example may risk incurring severe liability for his institution as a conscientious objector to what he thinks is a bad law (and he has some worthwhile moral justifications for that) but that doesn't mean he's a criminal and the school is worthless. That's just silly.

Point successfully belabored.

Civil disobedience is actually always the wrong approach under our system of government -- it is simply not the correct way to approach a law you don't like, ever. We have a system of elected officials, referendums, petitions, and a whole variety of ways you can make change in laws you disagree with -- it just takes time and the ability to sway people to your point of view. If you do otherwise, you are violating the system, and may go to jail. Which is why we arrest folks for acts of civil disobedence.

Civil disobedience is actually always the wrong approach under our system of government -- it is simply not the correct way to approach a law you don't like, ever. We have a system of elected officials, referendums, petitions, and a whole variety of ways you can make change in laws you disagree with -- it just takes time and the ability to sway people to your point of view. If you do otherwise, you are violating the system, and may go to jail. Which is why we arrest folks for acts of civil disobedence.

I mean that's an interesting side discussion as to whether or not civil disobedience is the best way to change the law (and I absolutely disagree with you on that issue, but one tasty treat at a time), but you completely ignored the salient points of my post. I'll try to be clearer.

- You suggested that that breaking the law makes you a bad citizen and somehow unamerican.

I responded with 2 points.

1. We all break laws as part of everyday functioning as citizens of this country, INCLUDING you. Traffic violations are one of several examples I listed. It's absolutely ridiculous to suggest as you did, that breaking laws necessarily makes you a bad citizen or UnAmerican.

2. Furthermore some of the most famous respected citizens of this country have participated in civil disobedience for the purpose of changing laws, Martin Luther King anyone? In fact, civil disobedience played a considerable role in the events leading up to the founding of this country.

- You also suggested that breaking one law means you have the capacity to break innumerable others and therefore are not to be trusted at all.

2 more points.

1. Well, you've got me there, my car is parked illegally right now, I guess that means your kids are not safe with me and I should be patted down before entering classes.

2. Furthermore the Dean listed in the OPs original example gave a rational justification for his objection and disregard to that PARTICULAR law and I see no reason to infer from that the school is a horrible place to go for an education and that he embezzles and sees hookers in his office.

That said, however, I wholeheartedly agree with in your claim that people who break the law should be prepared to live with the consequences of their actions.

I guess MLK was a bad citizen and we do not have any bad laws or bad law enforcement officers or any bad lawyers or any need for parents after your children get to be 18. I guess you are suppose to divorce your child when they get to a certain age and quit caring for them.

That may be for you but it is not what or who I am. My child will be my child until the death of one of us.

What about a dying 18 year old that can not speak. Do Hippa rules keep people from notifying the parents? You have got to be kidding. Common sense has got to rule. If the 18 year has a problem, it is a gray area. When a 13 year old has a problem there is no gray area. Yes, I would go to jail to get information about my daughter's health if I thought I could help her. Some things are more important than jail time.

To the OP: being a physician is not about "you". If you are interested in attempting to impose your moral system on the people you are trying to help, then you should join the clergy. And I mean that seriously: consider it. You might be happier.

Man, are you in for some surprises.

What about a dying 18 year old that can not speak. Do Hippa rules keep people from notifying the parents? You have got to be kidding. Common sense has got to rule. If the 18 year has a problem, it is a gray area. When a 13 year old has a problem there is no gray area. Yes, I would go to jail to get information about my daughter's health if I thought I could help her. Some things are more important than jail time.

No, it isn't . 18 yr olds are majors, and consequently, entitled to the legal rights of an adult. You are not legally allowed, as a health care provider (RN, MD, PA whatever) to provide certain health related information without the consent of the patient. This can, and does include whether or not the patient is, for example, in a given hospital.

I think that L2D 's point re: the dean was that if the Dean shows a flagrant disregard for one law, what does this say about his character in general? The example of parking tickets is specious because there are gradations of infraction in the law, misdemenor and felony being but two. Yes, you might speed, but disregarding ordinances is a whole lot differnent than say disregarding a federal law like HIPAA.

Re: common sense. It sounds great, but there isn't consensus on what common sense is, despite the name. Some people consider it just good sense to smoke while on 100% O2. It's not, but that doesn't mean they don't think it is. Since common sense is relative then, there can be no universal application that fits everyone.

If a patient is incapacitated in the hospital, whether he's 16 or 61, they're going to try to track down the family. Someone has to make medical decisions for that person, and without a known medical directive, guess who that will be..

I'll be entering medical school next fall... I spent the last 1/2 hr looking through these posts...to be frank, I am really scared of some of you being doctors...I won't even say which "side" of the debate I am on, because I assume both the "liberals and conservative" (by the way, these terms hold no meaning to me anymore), will assume I am on the "wrong" side....

I am also sad to see how closed minded people on both sides of this debate can be. And all this rhetoric about being a "real conservative" or liberalism.... what the hell ever happened to being a person and using your head with some of these issues, rather some blind dogma "conservative or liberal"... if parents do they're job right, I hope that at our age we (the majority of us entering medical school are at least 17+) are taught to use our heads and THINK for ourselves and think critically.....by the way, talking about 16 or 17 yr olds being "kids"... I understand they are not the smartest bunch in the World (we all made mistakes at young ages that's how we learn), but I think in a lot of these talks we must not forget that they are really young ADULTS (I mean, did you think of yourself as "adult" at that age? Would you have liked to be treated with respect like an adult at 16 or 17 ?(Whether you feel that 16 or 17 yr olds "deserve" to be treated like an adult I believe is irrelevant to me in this case, it's more about starting to give young adults more responsibility for themselves...I feel that people who have the toughest time with responsibilities later on, had these responsibilities thrusted on them all at once, without any time to "test the water") Furthermore, did you receive that treatment at that age? I know I did, and that is why I was able to keep an open discussion with my parents, yet still had my own life... with my own follies and experiences that I never felt a need or want to talk to my parents about. Just as I am sure my parents did not tell me everything! (These are how adults act. They don't tell everything to everyone). Hence, I think we should not always be referring to most 16 and 17 yr olds as "kids" in a sense that deems them incapable of independent thoughts and choices that some people I feel insinuated here....

Finally, I feel as though most people just ooze dogma that is passed down from parents to kids (again both liberal and conservative)... and are just spewing up the same garbage and getting nowhere fast.....I really just hope people try at least ONCE IN AWHILE move away from your own views (Please, again realize I am talking to both sides)... and TRY to visualize how someone else grew up, how/where did their values come from, and understand what they are trying to say (albeit, obnoxiously most of the time on these forums) and why... you'll grow as a person.

You know, I agree, and I really dont' see what 'liberalism' and 'conservatism' have to do with the issue in the first place.

It's not a gray area for an 18-year old any more than it's a gray area for a 45-year old. An adult is an adult, period.

I'll be entering medical school next fall... I spent the last 1/2 hr looking through these posts...to be frank, I am really scared of some of you being doctors...

Everything seems obvious when you're reading about it on an internet forum instead of looking the situation in the face, trying to decide what to do.

It's not a gray area for an 18-year old any more than it's a gray area for a 45-year old. An adult is an adult, period.

Not for Mr. Civil Disobedience. See, for him, the law will make exceptions. He just hopes that he's the only one with exceptions, so that everyone else who violates the law will be duly punished. That way 'fairness' is preserved.