Are Anesthesia jobs overseas lucrative? Dubai?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zonazoo34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am aware Europe is not but I have heard places like Dubai pay US trained docs very well. Anyone have insight to this? I am currently a resident in the Midwest who enjoys traveling and wouldn’t mind doing a few years overseas. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would caution against work in the UAE since I am aware of a US citizen who worked there, that effectively become slaves of the state and their employer, and have their passports confiscated so they could not travel.

Reactions: 1 users
I checked into it about 10 years ago coming out of fellowship. The pay was around 400 to 450k and that was for peds. Their big selling point was that housing, food and travel were compensated. Also, you didn’t have to pay taxes. But unless you want to remain a US citizen you still have to be taxes. I told him I do it for 750 K and I never received a response, and then there’s the whole passport issue…

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked into it about 10 years ago coming out of fellowship. The pay was around 400 to 450k and that was for peds. Their big selling point was that housing, food and travel were compensated. Also, you didn’t have to pay taxes. But unless you want to remain a US citizen you still have to be taxes. I told him I do it for 750 K and I never received a response, and then there’s the whole passport issue…
Numbers seem high, my information is more about 200 to 300k range no local taxes but then you'd have to pay regular IRS taxes. Housing is expensive so it's a better deal if provided but i don't know if they do that anymore.
I am aware Europe is not
Also you are not very aware if you believe this.

Standard "gaswork type job":
Anesthésiste - Prodie Sante 270k

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have investigated it as well. Not that lucrative for me to jump in a plane and do this. The whole taxfree income thing is a gimmick as well.

Why do you have to submit your passport? How can have paid travel and a confiscated passport?

Seems to me like anesthesia income in the good ‘ol USA is about as good as it gets. Maybe some in Australia with a healthy private practice or Canadian docs in wealthier provinces like Alberta can make a similar income.

“I would caution against work in the UAE since I am aware of a US citizen who worked there, that effectively become slaves of the state and their employer, and have their passports confiscated so they could not travel”

what?! Any more details? Are they still there? Should we send Liam Neeson?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I don't the american hospital in Paris is actually "American" in the sense you can't waltz in with a US diploma and get to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would caution against work in the UAE since I am aware of a US citizen who worked there, that effectively become slaves of the state and their employer, and have their passports confiscated so they could not travel.

absolute racist nonsense

absolute racist nonsense
I have actually heard similar stories but was told it only happened to people from third world countries who typically go there as domestic help or labor jobs.
Whatever the case, I don’t want to take that chance if they do that to others. It ain’t right to do it to anyone.

270k Euro is about 350k USD. Not bad depending on workload.

The exchange rate topped out at something like $1.50 per Euro about a decade ago, but currently it's $1.10 per Euro. It's been about that for a long time. 270k Euro is about 300k USD.

Also, as previously mentioned, US citizens working abroad don't get to skip taxes if they ever plan on coming home and spending that money. If they don't plan on coming home, there are still host nation taxes, which are generally high. VAT make everything you buy there more expensive.

These Dubai/UAE/Saudi job threads come up every so often, I just smh. The pay isn't really that great, the tax benefits are wildly exaggerated or fabricated, and oh yeah, you have to go live in those places to work there. People who want to live and work in a lousy place in order to make a ton of money for a few years should just find some spot in rural BFE flyover America. If you want to work in the UAE for the, uh, cultural experience, I guess that's a reason to go. But money generally isn't.

Reactions: 5 users
I have actually heard similar stories but was told it only happened to people from third world countries who typically go there as domestic help or labor jobs.
Whatever the case, I don’t want to take that chance if they do that to others. It ain’t right to do it to anyone.

Yeah, this is super common in those nations when it comes to imported laborers from poor south Asian countries (India, Pakistan, etc). I don't think it's as much of an issue for educated/wealthy guests coming from 1st world countries to work in high skill industries. Some poor guy from Bangladesh is at risk in a way that a western doctor isn't.

Of course, I like to think that better human beings would generally balk about going to work at a job serving the elite of a nation that treats people that way.

absolute racist nonsense

:yawn:

Has anyone here made the move from practice in the US to the UK or Ireland? Or know anybody who has? Something I am very interested in and would love to hear some stories about, or be put in contact with. I know money doesn't compare but quality of life is another factor

don't know about Ireland, but from most reports I've heard - the NHS is not a pleasant place to work

don't know about Ireland, but from most reports I've heard - the NHS is not a pleasant place to work
I know an anesthesiologist who works for the NHS. It’s not a bad gig. His job is about 9-4 most days. They make less, but they also work less. He thought it was insane that we start the ORs at 730 and have 630am meetings (sometimes 6!). Completely different philosophy there.

I know an anesthesiologist who works for the NHS. It’s not a bad gig. His job is about 9-4 most days. They make less, but they also work less. He thought it was insane that we start the ORs at 730 and have 630am meetings (sometimes 6!). Completely different philosophy there.
They get tea breaks in the OR where the entire surgical team scrubs out.

This site says a senior anesthesiologist in Japan makes 50mil yen which according to an exchange table is about $460k USD. In Korea, 233 mil won which is about $200k USD.

You guys are funny. Tea breaks in the or? Yeah and the queen herself brews the tea.

I don't know if your residency would be recognized in UK or Ireland case it's too short by half.

The work is no different. Some academic centres rival the best of the best. Ors start at 7.30 and run late with consultants cofering 3 rooms with ca1s and 2s. No crnas.

Other smaller hospitals knife to skin at 9.30 and go home at half 3. It just varies by centre same as in North America.

The money you guys make in the US is astronomical. There are gasworks jobs in little 4 or hospitals paying 500k usd. They can't be capable of doing more than toenail surgery.

We empty our blood bank daily and barely make half that

Stay where ye are, you've no idea how good ye have it