Are boards getting easier? (poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why are board pass rates higher than years ago?

• The exams are easier

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • There is more/better study material than before; therefore, examinees are better prepared

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • These trends represent a small sample size and can just as likely decline or are cyclical

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Unsure/No explanation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Programs are doing a better job training residents

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

coroner

Peace Sells...but who's buying?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recent passing rate percentages for boards the last couple of years have been around the low 90’s (for first-time test takers). Compare this to 2007 when it was in the mid 80’s for AP and low 70’s for CP. In between 2007-2014, there has been gradually an upward trend and the pass rates seem to have stabilized to around the low 90’s for both AP/CP.

2007 boards.png

2014 boards.png

Any idea why that may be? Is this incline cyclical and another batch of examinees are due for a “recession” like the stock market? Are test takers getting smarter with more prep material and study sources available or perhaps the exams getting easier? The argument that the written & practical sections now scored together for a composite result wouldn’t make sense as the upward trend has been ongoing prior to 2014 when this was implemented. I heard from older pathologists (don’t have any stats) that the pass rates decades ago was even lower than 2007. So, I was curious why this trend has been happening and wanted to see what others think.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, they eliminated those "K-type" questions which could not have hurt.
I suspect it isn't "easier" but they may have gotten better at eliminating bad questions and better at asking better questions. That and studying is different now, and there are more options for studying. This is especially true for CP.

Yes, K-type questions have been eliminated; but, they still ask 'Which of the following is true...' requiring you to pick out the one accurate statement out of five that applies and has varying nuances which is essentially the reverse.

That and studying is different now, and there are more options for studying. This is especially true for CP.

Options such as??? So you think there are more/better resources for studying than before?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There's definitely more study material available now, and I'm sure that remembrances are becoming more and more common (gosh, I hope I didn't just make anyone on the ABP faint).

More than anything, it's probably part of the ongoing trend of spending more and more time studying for standardized tests in medicine (Have you seen Step 1 and Step 2 scores lately? The mean score on 2CK is now 238 - which is about 15-20 points higher than it was when I took it just 8 years ago).

My schedule during my fourth year was such that I did next to no real service work my last six months of residency - preparing for the boards was my job. That seems to be the case most places now.

The analogy to the USMLE's is probably true. The mean score used to be lower and it's not uncommon for internal medicine programs to get a bunch of IMGs applying who get 99/99 on Steps 1 & 2.

I think the playing field is a little more even with better material out there as sources in the past were too overwhelming e.g. Henry's, Robbins, etc. But they definitely don't need to make the exam harder as most of my colleagues and myself thought it was tough enough.

Last edited:
Options such as??? So you think there are more/better resources for studying than before?

There are more study courses, more online information, and many more textbooks. When I took the boards which was only 8 years ago there were no CP review question books and one AP question book (that I knew of). Now there are more, plus more books geared towards review.

Well if we shot every fourth person in the room instead of failing them I don't know if it would look that happy.

When I took AP/CP it was hard as hell. I cried my self in a cold shower like my brain was raped after AP then had to go back again for CP the next day. I have flashbacks to that hotel room at the Intercontinental in Tampa. That walk from the elevator past the stupid fountain to the elevator up is like the green mile.