are crocs/dansko professional enough to be worn on psych rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazylarry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i got a pair of black merrell's jungle crocs and i was wondering if those are professional enough to be worn on a psych rotation where dress clothes are expected. what about the sanita clogs (though i don't prefer them b/c i got them 2 days ago and they have been killing my feet..not comfortable)? or if neither of those work, what is an good comfortable dress shoe alternative??

Members don't see this ad.

I always see people wearing this style of shoe in the hospital. Even if you could get away with it as a student I think they are horribly ugly looking. LLbean has some dress shoes with a healthy chunk of padding in them...highly recommended.

I certainly wouldn't wear them first day. Go in, feel things out for the first week or so, then make a judgement call.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i got a pair of black merrell's jungle crocs and i was wondering if those are professional enough to be worn on a psych rotation where dress clothes are expected. what about the sanita clogs (though i don't prefer them b/c i got them 2 days ago and they have been killing my feet..not comfortable)? or if neither of those work, what is an good comfortable dress shoe alternative??

I wore my black merrel's almost every day of my psych rotation and no one cared. I've never had anyone look at my choice of shoes as a negative but I'm sure there are people out there that judge... They're ugly but if you're going to be on your feet all day you might as well be comfortable.

Go for it. You won't win style points, but who cares? My feet were killing me in my "stylish" shoes on several rotations, so I bought some uglier but much more comfortable shoes.

No one ever gets points down for professional appearance unless they wear like a miniskirt or something.

Save your feet, miserable trying to get over plantar fasciitis. No one cares about what shoes you wear as long as it's not flip flops.

I love my DANSKO's, takes a while to get used to them but I now cannot wear anything else. My first pair I wore for 8 years all through med school and residency.

I would wear my merrels with professional attire. nobody noticed or cared.

It's psych....you could wear a tin foil hat and your attendings probably wouldn't notice....

my shoes are as follows:

1. clarks bendables clogs with low heels for pants

2. danskos professional oiled tooled clogs - also for dress pants

3. danskos gunmetal mary janes - more like a clog than a heel and much more comfy for me to wear with dresses.

4. sketchers black flats active wear shoes for dresses

5. aerosoles tan wedge sandals

between these i have all my bases covered :)

Last edited:

On psych rotation you will be dealing with patients who aren't even allowed to have shoe laces. Your crocs will look fine by comparison. Crocs are pretty much considered the business casual of the hospital.