Are DO's better golfers than MD's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

museic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discuss.

I just played 27 holes and going DO did not seem to help it out. I'm hoping to practice a lot in medical school so do you think that I will be able to land an MD residency with a mediocre golf game?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't know DOs made enough money to afford golf clubs and greens fees?

Members don't see this ad :)
On average, DO usually have more developed social/non-academic side to them...so I could see this translation to a better golf swing.

I know I'll be right there with you! I did a lot of golfing while waiting for my
MCAT scores to come back... Now that I'm waiting for secondaries and the interview season, I think it's time to bust out the ol irons and see of they're still hot.

hope i have enough time to golf while in med school

I actually went to the driving range for the first time ever a month ago. It was the most frustrating thing I've ever done. Not sure if I have the patience to improve my swing.

Golf is a holistic game. A lot like healthcare. Certain "people" believe it's all about getting that impressive 300+ yard drive, but a true golfer knows it's not at all about that. It's all about the subtle details. it's about directing your drive; getting out of the sand-trap; and - most importantly - it's about sinking the putt.

Plus, let's face it. MDs are the nerds that studied all day in college. I doubt they had much time to do actual-life things like golf. XD
jkjk
<3

Reactions: 1 user
Golf is a holistic game. A lot like healthcare. Certain "people" believe it's all about getting that impressive 300+ yard drive, but a true golfer knows it's not at all about that. It's all about the subtle details. it's about directing your drive; getting out of the sand-trap; and - most importantly - it's about sinking the putt.

Plus, let's face it. MDs are the nerds that studied all day in college. I doubt they had much time to do actual-life things like golf. XD
jkjk
<3

True golfers know it's about avoiding the sand trap ;)

I know I'll be right there with you! I did a lot of golfing while waiting for my
MCAT scores to come back... Now that I'm waiting for secondaries and the interview season, I think it's time to bust out the ol irons and see of they're still hot.

After my MCAT and while waiting for interviews last year, I did enough golfing to drop my handicap by 9...

That said, I went yesterday and had my worst round in a couple years...

Jokes aside, I miss golfing. Parents kicked out of my house two years ago and couldn't take my clubs with me. No money to buy new ones :(

Jokes aside, I miss golfing. Parents kicked out of my house two years ago and couldn't take my clubs with me. No money to buy new ones :(

That is an outrage!!

But, it's nothing that a midnight recon mission wouldn't fix...I say you reclaim what is yours!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That is an outrage!!

But, it's nothing that a midnight recon mission wouldn't fix...I say you reclaim what is yours!!!!!

Wish I could. I moved 4000 miles away from home back to where I went to undergrad and where my girlfriend goes to med school.

dude just go and get urself some used clubs. if u know what ur after, u can get a full bag for under $400.

Wish I could. I moved 4000 miles away from home back to where I went to undergrad and where my girlfriend goes to med school.

MedPR, gotta know where you're from now. I regard myself a geography buff but this quote is killing me!

Oh wow, not something you hear everyday. That's pretty cool man.

dude just go and get urself some used clubs. if u know what ur after, u can get a full bag for under $400.

$400 = 4 secondaries man! I'll probably buy some clubs after the application/interview season is over.

Whether or not DO's are better golfers is irrelevant, as DO's aren't permitted to join the same country clubs as their MD counterparts, and therefore the 2 cant be compared.

I don't like golfing, but I love going to the driving range and swinging my stress away.

Whether or not DO's are better golfers is irrelevant, as DO's aren't permitted to join the same country clubs as their MD counterparts, and therefore the 2 cant be compared.

Actually, I think it's the other way around. DO's have their own country clubs but can also play at MD country clubs as well. MD's can't golf at DO country clubs because they lack additional golf training.

I think DO's are structurally and functionally better able to perform an impressively complex movement such as a golf swing than an MD.

I got my first full (junk) set for around $100 and played the heck out of them!

And it's an even bigger bonus of you can find a short executive course nearby for under $10 a round...

I really liked my old set. Nothing really new, but I could play pretty well with them (high 70s/low 80s most of the time).

Titleist 907R Driver
Taylor Made V Steel 3W and 5W
Titleist 609.CB 3i-PW
Titleist Vokey 56*SW
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 (2004 I think) and a 2001 odyssey white hot (not the two-ball!)

Incorrect.

Actually, I think it's the other way around. DO's have their own country clubs but can also play at MD country clubs as well. MD's can't golf at DO country clubs because they lack additional golf training.

I think DO's are structurally and functionally better able to perform an impressively complex movement such as a golf swing than an MD.

Correct.

I really liked my old set. Nothing really new, but I could play pretty well with them (high 70s/low 80s most of the time).

Titleist 907R Driver
Taylor Made V Steel 3W and 5W
Titleist 609.CB 3i-PW
Titleist Vokey 56*SW
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 (2004 I think) and a 2001 odyssey white hot (not the two-ball!)

nike dymo (used to game the titleist 905s, but i needed something easier to hit as i dont play everyday anymore)
taylor made 200 series 2w and 5w (bought em in 02. best fws ever made imo)
mizuno mp 30s
vokeys 52, 56, 60
Scotty SS Newport beach

so yea most of my stuff is old. i dont really buy in to all that jazz about the new stuff. i try to keep up with driver technology every few yrs, but the rest is just about feel.

nike dymo (used to game the titleist 905s, but i needed something easier to hit as i dont play everyday anymore)
taylor made 200 series 2w and 5w (bought em in 02. best fws ever made imo)
mizuno mp 30s
vokeys 52, 56, 60
Scotty SS Newport beach

so yea most of my stuff is old. i dont really buy in to all that jazz about the new stuff. i try to keep up with driver technology every few yrs, but the rest is just about feel.

Same here. I'll likely need to get something easier to hit than the 609.CBs. Before that I had a set of callaway X-14s and those were awesome!

i recommend you look in to one of the mizuno sets. IMO nothing beats the Japanese forging technique- grain flow forged. look in to their jpx pro if you want a bit of help or try the mp series if you want a players club

On average, DO usually have more developed social/non-academic side to them...so I could see this translation to a better golf swing.

Not sure if srs....

:laugh:
:thumbup:

Yeah I just got my first set last month, although I've golfed for awhile. They are a great used set and only cost 150 bucks. I think originally the set was well over 500. I've been playing the crap out of them since I finished my last final.

Not sure if srs....

One thing I am "srs" about is srsly wondering why a current med student spends so much time on pre med forums.

I mean srsly, you came to this thread, about golf, to find a srs answer? srsly?

And srsly, you have about 50% of the troll comments on that delightful DO discrimination thread that won't die..

So, srsly, Im not sure if you're srs or 16 year old girl trolling the premeds.

srsly.

;)

ps If you don't like DOs...why are you here?

One thing I am "srs" about is srsly wondering why a current med student spends so much time on pre med forums.

And srsly, you have about 50% of the troll comments on that delightful DO discrimination thread that won't die..

srsly.

;)

haha...thanks for the laugh...

and I agree Specter needs to lighten up

in my humble opinion....
1a)MD
1b)DO

2)dentists
3)pharm
4)chiropractors

tbd) naturopaths... too busy smoking the grass in the tee box to tee off

srsly.

;)

you must be new to internet :rolleyes:
tumblr_m2l65xT09M1qdaxaxo1_400.jpg

troll doesnt just mean "something I dont like". Go find one troll comment in that thread and quote it for me please :cool:

also, please stop the butthurt and notice that I posted that to the one person who sounded like they might actually be being serious and thumb-upped the next person who said something "for teh lulz".... I'm the one who needs to lighten up while you're the one pretending to be the SDN vigilante (or mom.... cant tell if vigilante or mom....) Lighten up dude :thumbup:

you must be new to internet :rolleyes:
tumblr_m2l65xT09M1qdaxaxo1_400.jpg

troll doesnt just mean "something I dont like". Go find one troll comment in that thread and quote it for me please :cool:

also, please stop the butthurt and notice that I posted that to the one person who sounded like they might actually be being serious and thumb-upped the next person who said something "for teh lulz".... I'm the one who needs to lighten up while you're the one pretending to be the SDN vigilante (or mom.... cant tell if vigilante or mom....) Lighten up dude :thumbup:

He's the vigilante sdn deserves but not the one she needs now

Ok cool...Im sorry if I've offended you. I can understand where you are coming from. I have been known to be a big abrasive in my retorts and while I was mostly trying to be funny, I may have failed.

Sometimes I find it hard to see current med students trolling the premed forums, so if this is not you, my bad.

In my culture, its commonplace to banter a bit and make fun, but I need to remember that now everyone is a part of my culture or likes this back and forth as much as I do.

I am reasonably sure that you are not following exactly what is happening here :confused:
p<.05

Ok cool...Im sorry if I've offended you. I can understand where you are coming from. I have been known to be a big abrasive in my retorts and while I was mostly trying to be funny, I may have failed.

Sometimes I find it hard to see current med students trolling the premed forums, so if this is not you, my bad.

In my culture, its commonplace to banter a bit and make fun, but I need to remember that now everyone is a part of my culture or likes this back and forth as much as I do.
bert-stare-o.gif

DOs MIGHT have an advantage with the hand eye coordination that comes with OMM, but I doubt it. All I want is to have time to golf with my fellow doctors in school.