Are E1/E2 still on the mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocPanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only see SN1/SN2 on the AAMC outline. Have not encountered any E1/E2 on any of the FLs either. Should we still know elimination reactions?

Members don't see this ad.

Orgo is a minor part of the exam. General concepts in chemistry and how to work with those concepts will get you much further than memorizing orgo reactions. If it's not on the AAMC outline, your not going to see it. I think I saw one question involving organic chemistry on my MCAT.

short answer: no.

Reactions: 1 user
Orgo is a minor part of the exam. General concepts in chemistry and how to work with those concepts will get you much further than memorizing orgo reactions. If it's not on the AAMC outline, your not going to see it. I think I saw one question involving organic chemistry on my MCAT.

short answer: no.

What did you mainly focus on for the ochem part? My list is mainly esterification, transesterification, SN1/SN2, alcohol, nucleophile/electrophile stuff. If I feel they're relevant for biochem for the proteins/amino acids, I focused on those.

You are right about E1/E2, they are not tested on any of the practice FL's I've done. I would study Oxidation/reduction chemistry, alcohol, carboxylic acid conversions, know differences between enantiomers, diasteromers, meso compounds, anomers. Furanise and pyranose rings were generally implemented in carbohydrate chemistry. SN1/SN2 criteria, NMR, IR, all spec techniques. If you did well in your Orgo classes then you should be fine with the new MCATs. The pure organic Chemistry questions are very basic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
You are right about E1/E2, they are not tested on any of the practice FL's I've done. I would study Oxidation/reduction chemistry, alcohol, carboxylic acid conversions, know differences between enantiomers, diasteromers, meso compounds, anomers. Furanise and pyranose rings were generally implemented in carbohydrate chemistry. SN1/SN2 criteria, NMR, IR, all spec techniques. If you did well in your Orgo classes then you should be fine with the new MCATs. The pure organic Chemistry questions are very basic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks! Those are what I studied too..mainly looked things up if I see them on FLs. Saw several epimer/anomer questions that relate to the rings. Basically saw structure questions when they were asking about ochem.