Are fellowships as competitive as residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vasilisa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering how competitive fellowships are. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Was wondering how competitive fellowships are. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.

Not typically, but they are usually done after at least a year of residency.

Not typically, but they are usually done after at least a year of residency.

Not necessarily, if you're talking about things like the Rutgers Fellowship (quite a popular orogram to apply to for people at my school), but that program is very conpetitive apparently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily, if you're talking about things like the Rutgers Fellowship (quite a popular orogram to apply to for people at my school), but that program is very conpetitive apparently.

It probably was more competitive when pharmaceutical companies raking in the money. Not so much any more. I did a rotation with Pfizer, I was told that the Pharm.Ds in that division has been reduced from 200 to just 60 in the last few years.

I think fellowship still has its place, especially when it comes academia, but the research industry gig is not as an appealing option as it once was.

In general I was talking about other programs. My co-resident is pursuing a fellowship and most of the programs she is looking at require residency.

With industry fellowships, it varies quite depending on which particular fellowship you pursue. Some fellowships are more popular some years. Generally, initial rounds of interviews at the Midyear will be anywhere between 10 and 50 candidates per position, and then on-site interviews will be 5-10 people per position.

The biggest difference is that they hire directly, without going through match. If you are a strong candidate, direct hire works to your advantage, if you are a weaker candidate, match will offer you more opportunity, generally.

Thanks for the input, guys.

With industry fellowships, it varies quite depending on which particular fellowship you pursue. Some fellowships are more popular some years. Generally, initial rounds of interviews at the Midyear will be anywhere between 10 and 50 candidates per position, and then on-site interviews will be 5-10 people per position.

The biggest difference is that they hire directly, without going through match. If you are a strong candidate, direct hire works to your advantage, if you are a weaker candidate, match will offer you more opportunity, generally.

Where would one go to look for industry fellowships directly after graduation from pharmacy school?