Air Force Are flat feet still a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akuko2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a little worried about being disqualified for the Air Force HPSP due to my feet. I have already been accepted to medschool and have all my paper work filled out and a date set to go to MEPS, I have a clean background and have never used illicit drugs, so that is not a problem in my case. Unfortunately, I have NO arch on either of my feet, but that has not stopped me athletically. I run 2-3 miles every other day, and do the typical bodybuilding style of weight training 5 days a week, which includes squats and deadlifts, and my feet never hinder me. Do you think they will notice or make a big deal about it?

Thank you for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I went through MEPS last year and don't recall anyone looking at my feet. I was enlisted prior to medical school and flat feet were very common. They evaluated everyone's feet in basic training and gave shoe recommendations based on arch quality.

Reactions: 1 user
nope. they don't even check any more. Proof: I have tons of broken sailors and Marines with runners knee, plantar fasciitis, and shin splints...a good percentage have flat feet without orthoses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. As long as you have no issues of needing orthotics in civilian life or treatment for issues related to flat feet recently then you should fly right through MEPS.

The closest MEPS comes to evaluating this is having you walk away and towards the evaluator. As long as your feet aren't so flat as to slap the linoleum like flippers, you'll be found good-to-go.

Thanks for the advice everybody, I feel a lot more at ease!

I treat active duty flat feet regularly. I don't know what the current screening guidelines are, or if there are any for flat feet. But there are a significant number of active duty members at my base with flat feet. Even if asymptomatic, I recommend looking into some foot orthotics because certain structures of the foot have a good chance of getting overloaded eventually without corrective support. Regarding which orthotic to get for this, feel free to PM me.

Just for future reference for anyone wondering, MEPS went fine, they just looked at my feet, asked me if they ever hurt and when I said no they circled asymptomatic pes planus and moved along.

Reactions: 1 users