Are German Pharmacists graduating after 2003 eligible for FPGEC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nika 314

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am a German Pharmacist and I moved to the USA last year. I am now trying to figure out what I need to do to become a licensed Pharmacist here. I know that there is the FPGEC Programm including the FPGEE. My problem is that I am not sure if I am qualified for the programm.

My main issue is the 5 year-Degree Requirement (I graduated after 2003). To become a Pharmacist in Germany you need to go to university for 4 years and pass the first and second State Exam. Then you need to leave the university and do a one-year internship. After the year of internship you have another test (the third State Exam). Only if you pass all these three tests you get the license to work. So it takes at least 5 years to be a Pharmacist.

Now I do not know if I meet the requirement of 5 years because my education at the university was only 4 years and the website of the NABP clearly says that internships do not count.

Is there another German Pharmacist who graduated after 2003?

Does anybody know what I can do if the internship does not count? Can I just go university here for a year to get the 5 years or is my whole degree useless?

I am thankful for every answer!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Contact your state board of pharmacy and ask - these things are usually a case by case situation.

Since you are a foreign school the FPGEC will cover you in terms of making your education equivalent - basically what you have isn't necessarily useless. From there you will MOST PROBABLY need to do an internship since many states require intern hours that are done WITHIN the USA (could be anywhere for up to 2000 hours depending on the state)

After that, you sit for the NAPLEX and the state MPJE.

Again I would contact your state board of pharmacy and try to see their process.

Reactions: 1 user