are immunizations expensive w/o health insurance coverage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossjb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have very poor student health insurance which covers only emergency medical services like amputations... How much would a series of immunizations run an individual out of pocket? Is the cost fairly reasonable?

HTH Worldwide sucks... :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Given that a simple flu shot is $29, I would say that a series would be fairly costly. I notice that you're a student. You could first check with your campus' clinic to see if there are any reduced fees. Or, you could always enlist in the military. You'll get all of your healthcare needs taken care of.

deuist said:
Given that a simple flu shot is $29, I would say that a series would be fairly costly. I notice that you're a student. You could first check with your campus' clinic to see if there are any reduced fees. Or, you could always enlist in the military. You'll get all of your healthcare needs taken care of.

Good suggestions. Out of curiosity, does the military have a present need for pharmacists?

Members don't see this ad :)
crossjb said:
Good suggestions. Out of curiosity, does the military have a present need for pharmacists?

Yes they do! Check out usajobs.gov (or is it usjobs.gov??) Anyway, there are tons of listings for pharmacists!
I think there are easier ways to get your shots though! :laugh: Call the health department or go to one of those places that have cheap/free medical services for people with no insurance. I know my city has a place like that.

At my school health center the Hep B shots are 55 bucks a pop.

One option is to get a pharmacy job in a hospital. I was lucky and started my intern job right before school...they do everything...shots, titers, TB testing for free. And they printed out a nice little report on all the shots they gave me for me to give to my school.

If getting a hospital job isn't an option, check with your local health department. The costs there should be cheaper than other places may be.

crossjb said:
I have very poor student health insurance which covers only emergency medical services like amputations...

:eek: are there a lot of students needing amputations?!

Originally Posted by crossjb
I have very poor student health insurance which covers only emergency medical services like amputations...
are there a lot of students needing amputations?!
Of course not, that's why its about the only thing his/her insurance covers! Jebus forbid it actually covers something people might need, that sorta thing costs money, this is a business they're trying to run here!

Like others have stated, I would try your local health dept. At the health dept here, the shots were free, and they just charged a $10 "visit" fee. so i got 3 in 1 visit :)