Are lack of ECs a problem for post baccs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As a post bacc, one of my weakest parts of my application are my extra currics. My undergrad was in business and I worked in business for three years. In that time, I didn't did do anything medically related until I began volunteering at an ER (which, in addition to a bit of soul searching, convinced me to pursue medicine).

I have a bunch of extra currics from my undergrad (ie: RA for 2 years, business manager for the school newspaper for a year, orientation counsoler for a year, and some other stuff), but nothing was clinical or research oriented.

In the past year (since i've started my post bacc), Ive volunteered at an ER for about 3 hrs a week, done some tutoring at my church, and have helped out with some grant writing/research (very minimal though). My grades are decent (~3.58 undergrad, 3.77 BPCM.. that includes a C and a B in calc 1 and 2 from undergrad..) and I havent taken my MCATs yet (Taking it this august).

So my question is.. in my glide year, are my ECs weak enough that I should consider volunteering fulltime as opposed to taking more classes? I am between these two options: 1) volunteering at a underserved clinic almost full time along with an english class at a community college (my last required class) or 2) taking biochem, physiology, and an english class at my state university and hopefully volunteering with my local FD EMT squad.

I really would like to go with option one because I ultimately want to work with the underserved/urban populations.. but I've only taken my basic science classes thus far, and feel that biochem and physio may help me strengthen my transcript alittle bit more.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you should do what you want, and not try to do what you think others would like to see.

I have a couple points: 1) 3 years working in business sounds like a lot of extracurricular activity to me. 2) I'm biased but I think that volunteering in a community clinic will be an amazing opportunity, show that you are genuinely interested in medicine, and would allow you to verify whether working in an underserved community is what you'd enjoy doing. It would give you a lot to talk about at an interview too.

But that's just me. Do what you'd be happiest doing.

for a postbacc, I believe you should demonstrate:
1) recent academic chops
2) understanding of medicine at the a) primary care, b) hospital care, c) research levels

when I say "understanding", I don't mean actual knowledge -- more that you understand what doctors do all day and can make a convincing argument that you want to do these jobs.

So, breadth of experiences is more important that hours. When I was in a similar situation to yours, I did hospital duty (8h/wk), primary care for the underserved (1d/wk), and some science classes. (physiology, genetics.)

Volunteering in a primary care clinic is key, but you don't need to do it full-time; you'll get plenty out of the experience even in a PT capacity. Use your time to build a convincing story about your desire to be a doctor; record your experiences in a notebook so you can use them for your PS and interviews. When they ask "why do you want to be a doctor", tell a kickass story that drives the point home.

I think that a summer physio or biochem course would help buff out your transcript, assuming all prereqs are fully satisfied (including labs!) However, this is less important that the primary care experience. In interviews, docs aren't going to ask how your classes are (from their perspective, you graduated a long time ago!), they'll want to know what you've been doing in the field of medicine lately.

[edit: typo]

Members don't see this ad :)
My suggestion is to find someone that is filling out the AMCASE app right now and see what it spaces and amount of boxes it gives you for ECs. I think I remember someone on here filling out all 15 activity lists. Then you have to write x number of words + phone numbers (etc) for advisors that can verify... The question is how much of it could you fill out right now... And what more could you do to make a difference...

Also, if you are a Cali app, Davis (and I think UCI) want more into about number of hours for different things...

As one who took classes to pad my gpa (post bacc), I would say go with the option you would most enjoy. Taking classes will not boost your transcript as much as you might think, but putting your heart into work in an underserved clinic will give you the added desire and experience an adcom will take notice of in your PS, EC's, and Interviews. Just my $0.02.