are LORs and extra-curricular activities THAT important to the adcom??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Canadian dental schools, LOR and extra-curricular activities are not weighted significally. Just GPA and DAT $$ So good extra-curricular activities or LOR do not really offset medicore GPA (i.e ~3.3)

How about for US private schools?

Do you actually earn lots of brownie points if you have good LOR (i.e a dental professor writing good things about you)?

How about for extra-curricular activities? Do you earn lots of brownie points when talking about experience from dental mission trip to 3rd world country or work in a oral development lab?

Anyone here actual think they got accept mostly due to the WOAH factor of LOR and extra-curricular activites?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i personally think that if you have a good gpa and dat you can say "screw you" on the rest of your application and they would still accept you. this is from my experience.

xylashellx said:
you can say "screw you" on the rest of your application and they would still accept you. this is from my experience.

did you say "screw you" to the rest of your application?

Never underestimate the power of LORs and extracurricular activities. Granted, if you have a superb GPA and DAT scores (3.8+ and 20+) then LORs and activities may not play much into your application. However, for most applicants who have average statistics, these factors can make or break you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that DAT/GPA are the most important but you gotta remember, there are hundreds of applicants with identical stats. Something has to differentiate them all.

tinman831 said:
did you say "screw you" to the rest of your application?

no i definately didnt...but i didnt have a 3.9 and 24s...you know what i mean

oohh, so I guess dental school admission is different than medical school. I know ppl with 3.8 GPA but didn't have good extra-curriculuar got rejected to med school.

Smooth Operater said:
oohh, so I guess dental school admission is different than medical school. I know ppl with 3.8 GPA but didn't have good extra-curriculuar got rejected to med school.

People with 3.8GPA and bad extracurriculars get rejected by dental schools too. ;)