Are more schools no longer accepting the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MathewsMD

Pre-med
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the post. I know most schools in the states do not accept the MCAT and require the GRE instead, but I'm making this thread because I know a few do. I'm from Ontario and was planning on possibly applying to OVC, Ohio and Cornell in the future and thought I'd at least write the MCAT since they either require it (or allow it in replacement of the GRE). I even emailed OVC with regards to their policy on the new MCAT 2015 and how long the new scores will be valid, and they stated all MCAT scores are valid for 5 years still. I assumed this implied they would continue accepting the scores and ended up signing up for the MCAT.

I checked OVC's website today and found this (I guess it's been posted since ~April 7): http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/recruitment/en/applyingtodvm/canadianstudents.asp

I don't know when exactly it was posted, but have been on the website somewhat regularly and just noticed it. I can only get a maximum refund of $150 (from the original $300) but that's for me to worry about. I'm now just wondering, are even more vet schools not accepting MCAT scores now? I plan on contacting each one individually, but I'm surprised since I only emailed OVC a month ago and now their policy seems to have completely changed. I may still write the MCAT just to keep more options open, but if it's not going to do that, I'd rather save my time even if it means losing out on $150. If anyone has any thoughts, that would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

OVC only changed recently, maybe a few weeks ago? Not sure about the other schools.

Sorry for the post. I know most schools in the states do not accept the MCAT and require the GRE instead, but I'm making this thread because I know a few do. I'm from Ontario and was planning on possibly applying to OVC, Ohio and Cornell in the future and thought I'd at least write the MCAT since they either require it (or allow it in replacement of the GRE). I even emailed OVC with regards to their policy on the new MCAT 2015 and how long the new scores will be valid, and they stated all MCAT scores are valid for 5 years still. I assumed this implied they would continue accepting the scores and ended up signing up for the MCAT.

I checked OVC's website today and found this (I guess it's been posted since ~April 7): http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/recruitment/en/applyingtodvm/canadianstudents.asp

I don't know when exactly it was posted, but have been on the website somewhat regularly and just noticed it. I can only get a maximum refund of $150 (from the original $300) but that's for me to worry about. I'm now just wondering, are even more vet schools not accepting MCAT scores now? I plan on contacting each one individually, but I'm surprised since I only emailed OVC a month ago and now their policy seems to have completely changed. I may still write the MCAT just to keep more options open, but if it's not going to do that, I'd rather save my time even if it means losing out on $150. If anyone has any thoughts, that would be greatly appreciated!
Taking the MCAT likely isn't going to keep more vet school options open for you, in fact taking the GRE would keep many more options open (unless you were planning to take both?). Still, I don't know of any vet schools that only accept the MCAT. Both Cornell and Ohio accept the GRE.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I were in your shoes, I'd save my $150 and my sanity..the new MCAT isn't going to be fun (not that any standardized exam is fun...). It covers everything from basic bio to biochemistry and sociology...I'm not sure if physics is still on there. Not to make you feel like you wouldn't do well, but I myself am grateful we don't have to take the MCAT, lol. Med students prep for that exam for months to a year in advance.

As far as I know, all schools accept the GRE and only a handful also accept the MCAT. I think WZ is right that no school accepts just the MCAT. See http://www.aavmc.org/testdeadlines.aspx .