Are my less than 12 credit hour semesters post-injury going to affect my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheelin2vetmed

CSU c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know vet schools want to see that you can handle the work load. I know I can, when my health is good.

I was paralyzed in Feb 2012 and in Jan 2014 returned to university to continue my Juinor year. The course loads have consistently increased since then, but for 2 semesters they were below 12 units due to recurrent health issues.

If all goes according to plan, I'll graduate this winter with a 4.0 GPA for last 45+ units.

Sometimes my health can be up in the air (just the nature of a spinal cord injury); will committees frown upon these less than full-time semesters?

Members don't see this ad.

Doubt it, since you have a pretty legit reason for the low course-load. Having a high courseload is nice, but adcoms understand that sometimes other things need to come before academics. Like health.

Reactions: 1 user
Doubt it, since you have a pretty legit reason for the low course-load. Having a high courseload is nice, but adcoms understand that sometimes other things need to come before academics. Like health.

True, but I don't want them to have the thought: "Well maybe he's still adjusting, his health isn't completely stabilized, and this might not be the best time for such a demanding work load."

I'm somewhat scared for that possibility: what if something happens right in the middle of a semester? I'd be royally screwed me thinks.

Members don't see this ad :)
True, but I don't want them to have the thought: "Well maybe he's still adjusting, his health isn't completely stabilized, and this might not be the best time for such a demanding work load."

I'm somewhat scared for that possibility: what if something happens right in the middle of a semester? I'd be royally screwed me thinks.
If your ast 45 is a 4.0 as you say, then I think you'll be fine. They'll see that high upwards trend and think "wow, this person had a really major and tough obstacle that they've still overcome and have succeeded in their academics."
You also mentioned that your courseloads have increased since those two low semesters. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm no adcom, but if I were it shows a lot of good that even with the recurring health problems, you still came back extremely strong. That shows dedication and that you are able to handle the courseload.

If you're truly worried about it, remember that your application isn't academics alone. Your experiences, GRE, LORs and other factors weight into your app too. While on average academics counts for under to just over half, the rest of the stuff's important too. If you think your academic history will hurt you (which, I don't think so at all!) just remember that you have the rest of your app to help balance you out into an outstanding candidate!
And I'm saying this with the knowledge that I haven't closely followed your threads/discussions and know very little about your application as a whole.

I was planning to start back in January 2014 and finish in 3 semesters with 15 credits each, but pretty soon after starting it was evident that wasn't going to happen. So I changed the timetable to 4 semesters + Summer 2014. That first semester was fairly low hours and that summer I took a class both sessions. Since then my hours have been increasing, but also include directed research which "pads" the hours a bit. It's still work, but it's not classwork and tests like a standard class.

But yes, I'm likely overthinking this.

After 45 credit hours of 4.0, I really doubt they will have that thought.

You wouldn't be the first student to undergo a huge problem in the middle of a semester and I'm certain that whatever school you potentially end up attending would be more than willing to help you figure something out.

With a GPA that high, I wouldn't stress over it. Some schools do take a look at course load, but it typically isn't the most important factor in your application. If it makes you feel any better about this, I took one semester of only 10 credits. No one even mentioned it during file reviews or interviews, and I was extremely worried about it as well. And my reason for doing that was merely finances and family issues. I don't think you should worry. I personally don't think a school has any business determining whether or not you'd be 'healthy enough' to complete veterinary school. Deciding if you can cut it academically is more of their decision.

In general, I don't think it will be an issue. Especially because you did maintain a 4.0 during those semesters and you have an extremely legitimate reason for lowering your courseload following your injury.

However, I do know there is at least one school that will only factor full-time semesters for last 45, so that could cause you to be dinged points there. So if your grades during your full-time semesters weren't the best, I'd caution against applying to any schools with such policies. I believe Mizzou at least does this; there may be another school or two that I'm not thinking of. For most programs, though, I definitely think you'd be just fine!

I took 9 credit hours for the first 5 semesters when I was at community college, with no other reason than I had to work full-time (kicking myself for that now, and crap CC advisors).

I got in to 2 schools. You have a legitimate reason, you'll be fine :)

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. Nalikti, I didn't apply to Mizzou, and didn't even think of looking at that as a requirement at the other schools I chose. VMCAS is already submitted, oh well!

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. Nalikti, I didn't apply to Mizzou, and didn't even think of looking at that as a requirement at the other schools I chose. VMCAS is already submitted, oh well!
I would think that schools with such policies are few and far between, which is good for you; there are several that do award points if you maintain a higher-than-average courseload, though, but obviously if your grades are strong enough (and your last 45 GPA is fantastic!), I don't think it would be a make-or-break deal. And, as I already mentioned, you had an absolutely legitimate reason for the lowered courseloads. I wouldn't fret much about it, personally!