Are Opt Retail Sales included in ther income

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opt_princess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been on many different sites that show ranges of income for the average opt. I was just wondering if these income amounts include the money that opts make from selling glasses and contact lenses in their offices? I know that not all opts sell glasses so I was assumming it was just the income from seeing patients. Any help or info on the topic would be helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

most private practice od's own a retail side that sells glasses/lenses/sunglasses/under eye treatments... you get the idea:) so their actual incomes includes their profits from both retail and exams. i think that's what makes optometrist incomes seem so high, the uber succesful private practice docs doing awesome business from their retail side.

optometrist who don't own their retail side (lenscrafters/kaiser/hospital) income is solely based on their exams (either the actual # of exams or what an organization thinks an optometrist who gives exams is worth)

you can be a succesful (+90k) owning your own practice and doing only exams...i just never have seen it (10 years in the fieldas an optician). but hey i've never seen a lot of things.

so if you are thinking private practice, you more likely than not will be selling glasses. but it's fun to do, you get to pick out frames, figure out how much to charge for lenses, try to keep up with trends - i think it's the fun part of optometry. :love: