are paramedics beneficial to trauma patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you have a point about the dilution of experience but that this policy of more medics is clearly bad care is debatable. One could argue back that more medics means more people will have access to a medic when they need one and that that’s good for the community.
Is there any place that is doing this?

Dallas/Fort Worth is one of the places mentioned in the article. One of their medics recently told me that every fire fighter has to be a paramedic. What about being a medic improves the ability to put out fires? The medical director for DFW stated that his medics do not get enough experience (in that busy system) for him to trust them with RSI. He doesn't appear to limit any other airway skills for these medics, who don't get enough experience.

The problem is that places that do this, DFW is not the only place, do not provide more access to paramedics. They put more medics on the same apparatus. The systems that provide the best care consistently are the ones that have a small number of medics with aggressive medical oversight. If this were for cath labs, there would be little debate about having a requirement for a minimum number of skills performed in order to obtain a certificate of need.

Infrequently performed skills are frequently performed badly. If a medical director is very involved and regularly using a lot of simulations to make up for the lack of actual skill use, I don't have a problem with that. I don't believe that is what is happening. In the article, the medical director (for DFW and five other organizations) stated that they do not get enough experience and he does not trust them with RSI. How can you be a medical director for six organizations (includes DFW, which is a big city, and 2 helicopter services)? This is the kind of hands off medical direction that allows the medics to do whatever they want, that leads to major errors.

In subsequent posts you seem to have concluded that since I disagree with your assessment of this policy equating to bad care and your assertion that the medical director should resign over it that I am therefore arguing in favor of bad care. That’s a big stretch. The comparison to a drug dealer is a little extreme as well.
The argument that if I don't do it, somebody else will, is what I regularly hear from medical directors as justification for authorizing dangerous medics and allowing dangerous practices to go unopposed. This is the same argument used by drug dealers to justify what they do. It is not a valid argument.

If you are concerned that your medical director is incompetent or that medical directors as a group are incompetent you can work to “fix” that problem. You can resign and/or go to the press with your claims as you stated earlier. You can complain to your licensing agency about your director and your colleagues who you feel are dangerous. I fear your assertion that your director should quit over a policy you oppose but that he probably supports will just lead to frustration.
I do work to try to fix that problem. My current medical director is not a problem. I have not stated that medical directors support these policies, instead they tend to throw their arms up and say "What can you do?" They limit what can be done without a phone call, because "You wouldn't want Medic X to do this on your mother/daughter/wife." Instead of admitting that there are well known dangerous medics in the system, shouldn't they be trying to eliminate the bad medics?

It’s important to remember that medical directors are administrators in a system. We have pride in what we do and the systems we run. But we can not be hot headed about things. The systems will never be perfect, there will always be problem children and compromise will always be required. There is no way to run a successful and safe system while holding grudges, being totally inflexible and quitting over every disagreement.
Administrators need to put the focus on quality of care, not on protecting themselves for allowing dangerous medics to treat and harm patients.

The start of this discussion was the OPALS results showing a lack of benefit of ALS care. Maybe this is one of the reasons why - far to many dangerous medics. The dangerous medics cannot exist without permission from the medical director. If the medical director is exempted from civil liability, criminal is what is left.

Members don't see this ad.

The start of this discussion was the OPALS results showing a lack of benefit of ALS care.

It's important to note that the absence of benefit was in a specific population of trauma patients, and it's hard to imagine why all the ALS providers in the Canadian system would be incompetent, yet the BLS personnel in the same system would be fine. It seems more likely that there is something about ALS care for these trauma patients that isn't helpful, likely time on scene. This is a scientific issue that we are still trying to understand.

Also, clearly ALS care is of great benefit to many medical patients, especially cardiac and respiratory issues. Look at the progress that has been made in prehospital 12-leads and reducing door-to-balloon times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there something wrong with being passionate about patient care issues?

I think the problem is that for too many it is just a job.

There is not a lot that is supported by research.

The research on airway management appears to me to be the best indicator of the problems with medical directors who do not provide aggressive oversight, contrasted with those who do.

There are studies where the intubation success rate is low and the unrecognized esophageal tube rate is high. These studies lead some to insist that medics should not be allowed to intubate.

There are still other studies of systems that have very high rates of success of intubation and very low rates of unrecognized esophageal intubation.

I believe that the difference is primarily the involvement of the medical director.

It seems that many medical directors do not know their medics at all. How do you provide oversight of people you do not know?

Chart review? It is interpretation of creative writing.

Requirements for on line medical command permission to treat patients? It causes the medic to interrupt and abbreviate the assessment and treatment of the patient to give a report to someone who cannot see the patient. It is just asking for communication errors.

These are justifications used for allowing unskilled, or incompetent medics to treat patients. The medical director should be the one preventing them from harming patients.

What else is the job of medical director, if not to protect the patients?

There is a national push to take intubation out of the EMS world. I can see it happening in the next 5-10 years. National AVG is that about 22% of ET tubes were "gut" tubes and went unnoticed. That is almost 1 in every 4 tubes placed. We tracked it in my system and three surrounding systems and got numbers that ranged from 17%-28%. With capnography that number should be 0. Our system has shown a 0% esophagus unnoticed rate since the implementation of CAP. But the survival rates for EMS ET's are not supporting the use of the skill in the field. People are wasting too much time trying to get a tube and effective CPR is not getting done. There are many new supraglottic airways on the market that are showing promise. TO be honest I think intubation should be only for flight teams, and rural and special rescue medics. We have over 1500 medics in my system there is just no way they all get enough tubes. The avg is less than 2 per year.

And to your comment on what is a medical directors job? Most MD's here are only part time as medical directors. We have a big enough system to be able to afford 3 fulltime, but most smaller systems only have part time MD's. It is the medics job to ensure they are given the best possible care and there agency to ensure they get all the CME and CEU's they need. The medical director writes the orders and deals with violations, but it needs to start with the medic themselves to keep up on there skills.

There is a national push to take intubation out of the EMS world. I can see it happening in the next 5-10 years. National AVG is that about 22% of ET tubes were "gut" tubes and went unnoticed. That is almost 1 in every 4 tubes placed. We tracked it in my system and three surrounding systems and got numbers that ranged from 17%-28%. With capnography that number should be 0. Our system has shown a 0% esophagus unnoticed rate since the implementation of CAP. But the survival rates for EMS ET's are not supporting the use of the skill in the field. People are wasting too much time trying to get a tube and effective CPR is not getting done. There are many new supraglottic airways on the market that are showing promise. TO be honest I think intubation should be only for flight teams, and rural and special rescue medics. We have over 1500 medics in my system there is just no way they all get enough tubes. The avg is less than 2 per year.

That's unacceptable to miss a tube in this day when we have so many different ways to verify proper placement. To me it just smells of plain laziness / incompetence. I really don't want to make harsh assumptions without knowing more, but that's just the way it feels to me when I hear about these areas ending up with so many esophageal tubes.

I agree that the esophageal intubation rate is unacceptably high in many places. Waveform capnography should bring that down to
close to zero. No single assessment method is perfect.

A rate of about 20 % for unrecognized esophageal tubes is pointing to a significant problem. Are the medics that bad without waveform capnography?

Prehosp Emerg Care. 1999 Apr-Jun;3(2):107-9.
Prehospital use of succinylcholine: a 20-year review.
Wayne MA, Friedland E.

RESULTS: Paramedics successfully intubated 95.5% (1,582) of all patients receiving succinylcholine, 94% (1,045) of trauma patients, and 98% (538) of medical patients. They were unable to intubate 4.5% (74) of the patients. All of these were successfully managed by alternative methods. Unrecognized esophageal intubation occurred in six (0.3%) patients. The addition of capnography and a tube aspiration device, in 1990, decreased the incidence of esophageal intubations.

A large number of patients in a system that appears to do an excellent job.

They added capnography and the esophageal tube rate went down. The rate was less than 1 % before they added capnography. It appears that somebody in that system actually insists on competence from the medics.

Authorizing medics to work as medics, when they cannot recognize esophageal intubations just demonstrates that the person authorizing those medics does not provide adequate oversight.

I think waveform capnography should be essential in systems that intubate, but it is not something that should allow a medical director to just blindly allow unskilled medics to intubate.

20 % unrecognized esophageal intubation rate means that blindly is the appropriate adjective for the way the medics are intubating and the type of medical oversight.

1 out of every five tubes is in the wrong place and nobody realized it?

How can anyone say that this is not unacceptable.

We have over 1500 medics in my system there is just no way they all get enough tubes. The avg is less than 2 per year.
While there are ways to use simulators that are effective, why would someone put so many medics into a system that they get so few tubes?

A. Our medics are so good at what they do that we need to dilute the quality, so that they don't develop an attitude.

B. Paramedics put out fires better than anyone else.

C. There is the belief that more is better, but nobody cares that this will lead to lower skilled medics, because it is all about appearances.

D. Oversight is just a name. It is just there to make the public feel good.

And to your comment on what is a medical directors job? Most MD's here are only part time as medical directors. We have a big enough system to be able to afford 3 fulltime, but most smaller systems only have part time MD's. It is the medics job to ensure they are given the best possible care and there agency to ensure they get all the CME and CEU's they need. The medical director writes the orders and deals with violations, but it needs to start with the medic themselves to keep up on there skills.
Right. Let's make sure the medical director only sees the problems we want the medical director to see. We occasionally sacrifice someone to the medical director god to appease him and the fields will suddenly sprout competent medics? Then who needs a medical director?

Having a medical director does not mean that the medics should not police themselves, but the job of protecting the patients belongs to the person who signs the paper that says "This medic is safe to treat patients."

CME/CEU stuff is nice, but making sure that medics are providing competent care is more than just counting hours.

it's hard to imagine why all the ALS providers in the Canadian system would be incompetent, yet the BLS personnel in the same system would be fine.

It is interesting that when I complain about some incompetence, the defense becomes of all providers, whether medical directors, medics, nurses, . . . .

If I had meant to write that all of anything are incompetent, I would have.

Some incompetence is a serious problem and should be addressed. We may disagree about what incompetence is, but we should not disagree about the need to eliminate those who are incompetent.

it's hard to imagine why all the ALS providers in the Canadian system would be incompetent, yet the BLS personnel in the same system would be fine.
It is interesting that when I complain about some incompetence, the defense becomes of all providers, whether medical directors, medics, nurses, . . . .

If I had meant to write that all of anything are incompetent, I would have.

The paper that started this thread found worse outcomes for some patients with ALS vs BLS. You suggested this was due to incompetent medics. I was pointing out that this is not a logical explanation, since your hypothesis would require the ALS providers to be less competent than the BLS ones.

As far as some of your other statements:

1. It's striking to me that you have such an obsession with holding medical directors responsible for all failings in EMS. What about the responsibility of individual medics and EMTs to maintain their skills and education? What about the administrators who oversee day-to-day operations (almost never the MD)? What about the head of the system, such as the fire chief or even the mayor?

2. "Too many medics." I understand the argument of dilution of skills, but there is a powerful flip side to this: having more educated providers. In most areas of healthcare this is seen as a very positive thing. Paramedics may not put out fires any better, but the call volume of most fire departments is >90% EMS.

3. In systems that have trouble getting even part-time medical direction, would you prefer to increase the burden on the MDs and then end up destroying the system? Is it better to have an imperfect system, or make people drive themselves to the hospital?

The paper that started this thread found worse outcomes for some patients with ALS vs BLS. You suggested this was due to incompetent medics. I was pointing out that this is not a logical explanation, since your hypothesis would require the ALS providers to be less competent than the BLS ones.
It does not require the medics to be less competent than the basic EMTs. There really is not much ALS that is likely to help in trauma. People have mentioned that some medics will sit on scene in the ambulance to make sure they get their 2 large bore IVs to satisfy the protocol. The protocol does not require that they do this on scene, but their skills are poor enough that they are unlikely to successfully obtain access that meets protocol "requirements" en route.

IVs do not save lives and any organization that places emphasis on having IVs in trauma, rather than on the appropriate treatment of the patient, is going to skew the results of the research. How much does it take to come up with a worse outcome from ALS? We don't know, but to assume that all ALS has to be bad for the BLS care (which is no worse than ALS care in trauma) to provide better outcomes is ridiculous.

There is no reason to believe that ALS provides benefit in trauma, except in a few specific situations. So, the more ALS you provide, the worse the outcome is likely to be. All the ALS is accomplishing is delaying interventions that have been shown to make a difference.

I would classify pain management differently, since it is symptom relief that is not likely to lead to any life/limb benefit. It is still important and underused.

1. It's striking to me that you have such an obsession with holding medical directors responsible for all failings in EMS. What about the responsibility of individual medics and EMTs to maintain their skills and education? What about the administrators who oversee day-to-day operations (almost never the MD)? What about the head of the system, such as the fire chief or even the mayor?
The medical director is the highest level medical provider in the organization and should be the most qualified to make decisions about provider competence.

I do not exclude medics from responsibility to better themselves, but an organization with a bunch of bottom feeders is not likely to happen with a medical director who demands competence.

A fire chief is someone trained in fire suppression and prevention. What does that have to do with medical care? The administrators of non-fire department EMS have similar limitations on medical background. They may be very good at EMS, but it is not necessary to run the organization. They should be focusing on the best care, but they work within budgets and deal with politics that often lead to taking shortcuts. That is where the one person who exists to authorize provision of medical care, or to deny the provision of medical care, needs to say "I do not authorize this." Whether it is one dangerous medic, one dangerous practice, or a bunch of dangerous things, the medical director is the one who has the responsibility to say Yes or No.

All of these other people, mayor, administrator, fire chief, . . . , can say "I am not a doctor. We hired a doctor to oversee medical care. The doctor did not do this adequately."

2. "Too many medics." I understand the argument of dilution of skills, but there is a powerful flip side to this: having more educated providers. In most areas of healthcare this is seen as a very positive thing. Paramedics may not put out fires any better, but the call volume of most fire departments is >90% EMS.
You are assuming that they are competent, maintain competence, and care about what they are doing. The person who wants to be a fire fighter, but is told "You have to become a paramedic to be hired," does not become motivated to care for patients, just because of medic training. We have a problem of a lot of incompetent medics, who have been trained to pass the National Registry memorization test. They have been trained to just follow protocol to not get in trouble. Look at the number of pneumonia patients treated with Lasix. These are not medics who have a clue, but there is no follow up, no remediation, no elimination of those who just don't get it.

Having a call volume of mostly EMS, but 5 medics showing up on a call means that it isn't a sensible use of personnel. How does having more medics help, if they routinely travel in groups?

Give me a medic with a basic EMT partner and leave the other apparatus out of it (except where specifically needed). Or a dual medic system with a lot more BLS ambulances, so that the medics are only used on serious calls and become very good at what they do. Get rid of all of the lowest common denominator medics.

3. In systems that have trouble getting even part-time medical direction, would you prefer to increase the burden on the MDs and then end up destroying the system? Is it better to have an imperfect system, or make people drive themselves to the hospital?
If a system has trouble getting medical direction and has to settle for bad medical direction, there is no difficult choice. Don't settle. You cannot afford ALS. Protect your patients and keep the "good enough" people from killing them with good intentions.

One of the reasons we cannot consistently show the benefit of ALS is that there are so many bad medics out there. The only reason they are allowed to be there is a medical director allows it.

It is paramedic or nothing? I guess that is the way the country is going. We dislike the idea of anyone being considered special, or having special training. In Canada they have made it so that all EMS providers are called paramedic, so that everyone gets a paramedic.

The idea that it is a choice between having paramedics and driving your self to the hospital is not as bad as you make it seem. There are places where you would be better off not letting EMS touch you and driving yourself (preferably having someone else drive you) to the appropriate hospital.