Are schools unique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeancheBlanco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, do any of you have interest in specific schools based on something besides location or ranking? I'm trying to do some research on schools but they all seem to say pretty much the same things. Any tips on discerning what a school is actually like? Or are they even different at all?

Members don't see this ad.

They're all pretty similar. I agree, it makes it difficult choosing a school list. Try taking a look at their curricula, which will have minor differences. Some schools have mandatory lecture, whereas some might have less, optional lecture paired with mandatory group-study (e.g. Problem Based Learning) sessions. The general wisdom I've heard is make a list of schools in locations you could see yourself living for 4+ years and whose average stats (GPA and MCAT) are comparable to, or below, your own. From this longer list, look at smaller details like curricula, class sizes, etc. to finalize your list.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Mandatory lectures vs. Non-mandatory
2. Primarily traditional lectures vs. primarily PBL-based
3. Longitudinal courses vs. block scheduling
4. Research-focused vs. Primary care-focused
5. Amount of time given for Step 1 studying
6. Quality of clinical rotations

There's more. Those are just the big ones/ones that I could come up with off the top of my head

Members don't see this ad :)
And in the end you'll end up attending whatever school is cheapest that admits you and the rest won't matter :p

what about dress code (medical scrubs or professional attire only)? does that bother anyone?

It truly doesn't matter. They are all the same. Choose the cheapest one. If you are trying to decide between a couple that are equally cheap, choose the one that doesn't have as much required stuff. It sucks having to go into school to deal with their bs when you can just sit at home and deal with their bs in your pajamas.