Are some schools easier than others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobLoblawDDS

Lost and confused
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've got two days left to decide between my acceptances (yes, I suck), and I'm sort of pondering, are some schools' curriculae easier than others?

I only ask because although I want to attend NYU because I don't believe I'd be happy living in Cleveland, I know that NYU has an extremely intensive, traditional curriculum with a large class size. I'm not saying Case would be easy, per se, just that with a more progressive curriculum, PBL and independent study time, plus the smaller class size, it seems like it wouldn't be quite as stressful or busy.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've got two days left to decide between my acceptances (yes, I suck), and I'm sort of pondering, are some schools' curriculae easier than others?

I only ask because although I want to attend NYU because I don't believe I'd be happy living in Cleveland, I know that NYU has an extremely intensive, traditional curriculum with a large class size. I'm not saying Case would be easy, per se, just that with a more progressive curriculum, PBL and independent study time, plus the smaller class size, it seems like it wouldn't be quite as stressful or busy.

Any thoughts?

Honestly this is a question for the Dental forum for D1s or D2s from each respective school. I have heard similar things about NYU but I dunno if a smaller class size in Case creates a less hectic environment. The information load is relatively the same and you might study just as hard in both schools. I doubt either of the schools will be different in the time commitment aspect. And honestly you shouldnt pick a school based on the time factor but more on the clinical aspect, at least thats my opinion.

Honestly this is a question for the Dental forum for D1s or D2s from each respective school. I have heard similar things about NYU but I dunno if a smaller class size in Case creates a less hectic environment. The information load is relatively the same and you might study just as hard in both schools. I doubt either of the schools will be different in the time commitment aspect. And honestly you shouldnt pick a school based on the time factor but more on the clinical aspect, at least thats my opinion.

I found that the dental forum isn't terribly busy, and most current dental students actually hang out here, tbh.

I know you want me to go to NYU, Wired. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I found that the dental forum isn't terribly busy, and most current dental students actually hang out here, tbh.

I know you want me to go to NYU, Wired. :p

No I think you should go where you feel most comfortable. I know Case is an awesome school, I have 2 friends that go there, but I just dont like living in the ghetto that's all. The city is really crappy, but thats my opinion. You have to be happy with the choice you make.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE

I have heard that UConn is hard as f#$@!!!

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE

I have heard that __________is hard as f#$@!!!

You can insert any dental schools name. Theyre all hard.

NYU hands down. It really is a great school. A little on the expensive side but you will get a quality education there. Plus living in New York City would be awesome.

There was a thread about what classes are the hardest and the most difficult, etc.

NYU students were reporting anatomy as one of the easier classes. Nearly all other schools reported anatomy as one of the hardest classes. NYU also scores 10% higher on their boards in anatomy. The dean of the school credited this to the use of plastic human specimens rather than cadavers.

I think they'll be equally difficult, so I don't personally think this should factor in at all.

I think you should make your decision based on your personal impression of the location and the school and what it had to offer; after that I'd factor in which one I was always leaning toward, regardless of the reason for that leaning (e.g. NYC can be an awesome city, that's the lean factor, forget the arguments against it, etc). Also, is cost a factor at all, if there was a 50k+ difference it would matter to me.

All dental schools are hard but some are harder than others. I would look to see how many people make it from 1st to 2nd year. Usually the public schools are harder because they don't need the money. Private schools need the money. NYU is notorious for flunking people out of school, so I would choose Case.

All dental schools are hard but some are harder than others. I would look to see how many people make it from 1st to 2nd year. Usually the public schools are harder because they don't need the money. Private schools need the money. NYU is notorious for flunking people out of school, so I would choose Case.

Thats a false statement. Use the Search function to verify that they dont do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard first hand that NYU has been a bit of a mess in terms of organization. This was from a current D1 student about 3 months ago. The education should be sound wherever you go though, I'm sure NYU is still a great school.

Cost of living will be much higher in NY.

Thats a false statement. Use the Search function to verify that they dont do that.

All you have to do is look at how many people they accept vs how many people that graduate or even made it to the 2nd year.

Some schools accept 80 people and graduate 76. Other schools accept 260 people and graduate 140.

All you have to do is look at how many people they accept vs how many people that graduate or even made it to the 2nd year.

Some schools accept 80 people and graduate 76. Other schools accept 260 people and graduate 140.

I dont want to derail the thread but the moral of that story is that NYU does not kick out 10 to 20% of their class, so look up the #s. For the 2008-2009 cycle only 1.7% of ALL 1st years left or where kicked out, thats about 86 students out of all schools.

But lets not bicker about something like this since its not what the OP asked.

Aim for the best and try your best....only then it is ok to fall short.

I would still go to NYU despite the larger class size and more competition. Could be your only chance to live in the Big Apple.

So can we assume you decided on Case? Saw your post about withdrawing from NYU (surprised me I must admit!)

Yeah, I did. As soon as I made the decision I felt much more relieved. I know I've been really back and forth on the issue, but I know some people at Case, and a friend of mine is probably going with me into the C/O 2016 as well. It's closer to home, I'll save money, I found a fantastic brand new apartment complex, and most of all, although I'm fine with the large student body at NYU, I want to experience the smaller class feel. My undergrad institution has over 50k students, and I'm sort of ready for a different experience. I also realized that I was choosing NYU for the city, which I understand is an entirely valid reason, but I felt slightly superficial and shallow about it. I'm going to spending most of my time at school, not out on the town.

That said, if I get into U of T off the waitlist (which seems likely), or into UWO, I'm putting Case in my rearview. :)

Yeah, I did. As soon as I made the decision I felt much more relieved. I know I've been really back and forth on the issue, but I know some people at Case, and a friend of mine is probably going with me into the C/O 2016 as well. It's closer to home, I'll save money, I found a fantastic brand new apartment complex, and most of all, although I'm fine with the large student body at NYU, I want to experience the smaller class feel. My undergrad institution has over 50k students, and I'm sort of ready for a different experience. I also realized that I was choosing NYU for the city, which I understand is an entirely valid reason, but I felt slightly superficial and shallow about it. I'm going to spending most of my time at school, not out on the town.

That said, if I get into U of T off the waitlist (which seems likely), or into UWO, I'm putting Case in my rearview. :)

Good for you, congrats on making the decision, and having such good prospects.

I know Wired is going to be disappointed. It seemed like he was really looking forward to the prospect of you two being classmates at NYU.

I know Wired is going to be disappointed. It seemed like he was really looking forward to the prospect of you two being classmates at NYU.

Haha actually I'm going to Tufts in the fall :smuggrin: we're going to be BFF's :)

Haha actually I'm going to Tufts in the fall :smuggrin: we're going to be BFF's :)

:boom:

Ha, I believe we will both somehow survive the distance between Tufts and whatever school you are attending this fall.

Congrats buddy. I am glad you made a thought-out decision! The city lights didn't lure you in

:boom:

Ha, I believe we will both somehow survive the distance between Tufts and whatever school you are attending this fall.

No i'm serious im going to Tufts....

:laugh:, ok, whatever you say.

Well, I can't blame you for wanting to go to Tufts. :thumbup:

I'll add you on the Facebook group so we can chat more :)