Medical Are summer prereqs really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hi --

I did a search and people seemed okay with it so long as its not too condensed and at your home institution. This is 12 weeks (vs the usual 16) and at my home school, so I'm good there.

I can't handle my spring courseload. It's four sciences and I just can't take the GPA risk. I'm in drop/add (can get out without a W) and want to get rid of Organic II and take it in the summer. I did well in Organic I.

I saw another post on the DO forum from an adcom whose name starts with A that said he goes through transcripts to make sure people don't take prereqs online or during the summer. I remember Gonnif not being okay with it either. (Am I not supposed to make reference to specific users when I ask for advice like this?)

I realistically can't get a good grade in this during the semester with all of my other commitments but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by taking it during the summer either.

So, is it even shooting myself in the foot to take it during the summer?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

There are so many applicants who are have all grades in hand when they apply that you run a risk of getting left behind. Some schools may also have seen patterns where those who tend to take their prerequisites in the summer are likely to be those with lower than desirable metrics so they get screened out.

COVID-19 has made online coursework more tolerable. Some schools don't care though.

Just to clarify: I would take the class in Summer of 2022 and apply in Summer 2023. I haven't taken any other prereqs in the summer.

Is it still not a good idea? I just want you to have all of the information to prevent miscommunication.

Thank you for your reply!

I think there is a spectrum here. Is it better to take during the regular school year, probably. Is it better to take it during summer and get an A or regular school year and get a B? Some schools it’ll matter more. No one knows. If you have to do that then do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes there's a spectrum. I'm on the side where this doesn't matter as long as you get a good grade. I know of others who have seen negative patterns with applicants who retake prerequisites during the summer. So yes it is school specific.

I also think it doesn’t matter. But I would also question what “all your other commitments” are. It’s great to get a bunch of shiny ECs, but priority one has to be academics, and taking o chem over the summer in a condensed timeframe will be no walk in the park no matter what else you’re doing.

No. Nobody cares if you took a class during the semester vs. over the summer. I do think it is worth considering that I generally think summer classes are harder because you're learning the same amount of material in a much shorter period of time, and I honestly think THAT is the reason people shy away from taking prereqs over the summer. But only you can decide if you would perform better over the summer when you can focus on it alone (but less time) vs. during the spring when you would have other competing class obligations (but more time).

Status
Not open for further replies.