are the 10 minute breaks only 10 minutes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandy_848

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
or do they wait for everyone to come back so that it's roughly 10 minutes long? i've just been wondering 'cause people keep on mentioning how you should always use the restroom and have a snack during the break. i just don't see how there would be enough time if everyone had to use the restroom at the same time.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep..only 10 minutes. So be sure to get to the bathroom fast to avoid a lineup!

I remember barely having time to run to the bathroom..then a couple minutes to eat a bit of a granola bar and water between PS and VR...

I haven't written MCAT b4, but I would have expected it would take more than 10 minutes to collect all the tests from everyone in the room (for one the conference rooms at hotels).

What about for the Writing sample? Is there a short 1 or 2 minute break after the first writing prompt or do they have you start immediately on the second essay?

Our instructors told us there isn't an official break between essays, but there is some downtime from collecting prompts and handing out the next one.

Members don't see this ad :)
N1DERL& said:
Our instructors told us there isn't an official break between essays, but there is some downtime from collecting prompts and handing out the next one.

So each portion of the test is comprised on different test booklets? including the two writing essays?

I've been told that you get 10 minutes to take care of your business, however you usually get like 20 minutes if you include handing in exams, passing out new exams, filling out info and getting lectured by the proctor... this is second hand info so i'm not 100% for sure.

While they are collecting and counting the test booklets (yes, they count after every section), no one is allowed to leave the room. I guess this is to ensure that no one is stealing the mcat...So the real break is only 10 minutes....

golfer_123 said:
So each portion of the test is comprised on different test booklets? including the two writing essays?

yup. booklets and answer sheets distributed, then picked up and counted after each section. the writing section is actually 2 30 min blocks with no official breaks in between but there will be a little bit of downtime b/c of collection/distribution.

it really depends on how efficient and strict your proctors are, because although mine were pretty efficient about collecting papers and handing out exams/booklets in a timely manner, they were also really young law students who were understanding about a person needing to go to the restroom and that the lines were realllly long (only 3 stalls for the girls restroom at my site).

so don't worry, because they are understanding, and people generally move really quickly. as long as you make sure to try and go between every break and keep yourself hydrated to the extent that you don't have that cotton-mouth feeling (as opposed to chugging water ), you'll be fine with the restroom breaks and won't feel a need to take time out of one of the sections (DON'T do this unless absolutely necessary ... they'll let you, but still).

also, keep in mind that the proctors have to read out prompts before sections/filling out paperwork/etc. that take FOREVER. so there's a lot of sitting through these things.

I am really glad that there will be all these small delays - it'll give us a chance to catch our breath and to clear our minds before the next sections of the test.

The break is exactly ten minutes long. When each section ends, the proctor calls time and begins to collect the tests. No one can leave the room during this time (or talk). Once the collecting is done, then the ten minute time starts, not before. The test resumes exactly after ten minutes have elapsed. You may have to eat your snack while you get business done in the bathroom.

Hurricane95 said:
The break is exactly ten minutes long. When each section ends, the proctor calls time and begins to collect the tests. No one can leave the room during this time (or talk). Once the collecting is done, then the ten minute time starts, not before. The test resumes exactly after ten minutes have elapsed. You may have to eat your snack while you get business done in the bathroom.

That doesnt sound too exciting or appealing, but gotta do what ya gotta do huh? I guess that example of eating while peeing/pooping is analogous to an enzyme in steady state... The amount of space taken up in your body will be roughly equivalent to what you started out with prior... :laugh:

adiddas125 said:
That doesnt sound too exciting or appealing, but gotta do what ya gotta do huh? I guess that example of eating while peeing/pooping is analogous to an enzyme in steady state... The amount of space taken up in your body will be roughly equivalent to what you started out with prior... :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

FutureDoc2010 said:
I've been told that you get 10 minutes to take care of your business, however you usually get like 20 minutes if you include handing in exams, passing out new exams, filling out info and getting lectured by the proctor... this is second hand info so i'm not 100% for sure.
yea but you can't leave the room until all the tests are collected, so it is only 10 minutes

So, is it:

(10 minutes - time to collect exams)?

So maybe 7 minutes?

eshanim said:
it really depends on how efficient and strict your proctors are, because although mine were pretty efficient about collecting papers and handing out exams/booklets in a timely manner, they were also really young law students who were understanding about a person needing to go to the restroom and that the lines were realllly long (only 3 stalls for the girls restroom at my site).

so don't worry, because they are understanding, and people generally move really quickly. as long as you make sure to try and go between every break and keep yourself hydrated to the extent that you don't have that cotton-mouth feeling (as opposed to chugging water ), you'll be fine with the restroom breaks and won't feel a need to take time out of one of the sections (DON'T do this unless absolutely necessary ... they'll let you, but still).

also, keep in mind that the proctors have to read out prompts before sections/filling out paperwork/etc. that take FOREVER. so there's a lot of sitting through these things.
ah you brought back awful memories of my MCAT last August. i had a UTI and had to leave the exam multiple times to use the bathroom; it was pure torture

MB in SD said:
So, is it:

(10 minutes - time to collect exams)?

So maybe 7 minutes?
no 10 minutes AFTER they collect the papers

if you really have to pee, you're best off handing in the test 1 minute before time is called so you don't have to wait for the collection process to finish, it can take awhike especially if someone decides to steal a section

gujuDoc said:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tooooooooo funny. I don't think you should worry about eating during the ten minute breaks. I'd eat a granola bar or breakfast bar early in the morning, and worry about using breaks for a quick sip of water and to go to the bathroom. You are going to get an hour for lunch after the VR section anyhow, so I'd worry about using the 10 minute break to pee and what not.

The second ten minute break would also be better suited for using as a restroom break rather then eating break, because you'll have had lunch by that time. That's my take.

You don't want to eat too much anyhow.
how long does it take to eat an energy bar anyway? it's only a few bites and you can still be chewing when you walk back into the testing room.