Are there any definitive indications for crown placement on non-RCTd teeth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldMouth

Reaction score
I know the majority of dentists here would recommend indirect restorations for endo-treated teeth, but is there any clear consensus on non-endo treated teeth? At what point does the extent of a DO or MO necessitate a crown? I think (most) would think that a slot prep probably doesn't need a crown, but how about a Class 2 that extends 1/4 mesiodistally? 1/3? 1/2?

I think the loss of any cusp on a molar is a good indicator (or anything that would necessitate cusp capping). I've been reading lots of Facebook posts of dentists doing 30+ crowns a month and I'm just wondering if their patient bases just happen to have a high tx acceptance rate.

Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

There is not simple rule or clear cut. You have a lists of other clinical indications to consider. Patients bite, if any missing tooth. Opposing tooth, Bruxer or hx of tooth..etc

Not necessarily just because of high tx acceptance from patients..If you have high number of patient pool there will be more patients with needed tx. One satisfying patient will pile up and many patients referrals will follow too... I wouldn’t say doing 30+crown a month is a lot..

Reactions: 1 users
30 crowns a month is 1.5 crowns a day on a 4 day week…not much at all honestly.

With that said, It’s multi factorial but if resin will occupy more than 50% of the tooth, literature supports a crown.

Fractures, unsupported cusps etc etc etc

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
30 crowns a month is 1.5 crowns a day on a 4 day week…not much at all honestly.

With that said, It’s multi factorial but if resin will occupy more than 50% of the tooth, literature supports a crown.

Fractures, unsupported cusps etc etc etc

This ^. When I tx plan for a crown, if have the tooth will be composite I tell the patient the best long term prognosis is a crown. But if the tooth is 50% composite and iit is not in occlusion then I would do a filling. So like everyone is saying - multi-factorial.

Reactions: 1 user
At what point does the extent of a DO or MO necessitate a crown?
Have you made that month’s payment on your boat already? If not...
F4C338CA-2730-4E1B-90CF-BC757047545A.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users