Are there any universities that lead to becoming a neurosurgeon?

Sidney Trangelo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a senior in high school and I wanted to know if there are any universities that lead to becoming a neurosurgeon or if there is even such a thing... Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

No. Neurosurgery is a very specialized discipline. There are schools that lead to becoming physicians, however. They're called medical schools :rolleyes:. There are no undergraduate institutions or even medical schools that specially concentrate on churning out future neurosurgeons.

Ok thank you :). I was just wondering. One of my co-workers said that there was such a thing and I wanted to make sure.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're really set on becoming a neurosurgeon, look into majoring in something like neuroscience or neurobiology in college.

If you're really set on becoming a neurosurgeon, look into majoring in something like neuroscience or neurobiology in college.

You can do this or not do this. You sound like you are very new at this so I will give you a super brief run down.

If you want to be a physician then you need to get very good grades in under grad (mostly As). You need to take a number of prerequisite courses in both physical and biological sciences as well as some math courses.

You can major in whatever you want to. Most pre-meds major in some science because it incorporates the pre-reqs, but you can major in whatever you want.

You will have to take a standardized test called the MCAT which tests physical and biological science, reading comprehension, and writing skill. Max score is 45 and right now you need to have 32+ to be competative (that may change when you apply though).

Neurosurgery is a specialty in medicine. To be a neurosurgeon in the united states you must become accepted to an accepted to a US accredited medical school, graduate, spend 1 year as a general surgery intern, and then spend 5-7 years in a neurosurgery residency. All told, undergrad + medschool + residency, you are looking at 14-16 years of training. It is a long hard road and you will be working long hours for pretty much your entire career.

I am not trying to sway your decision one way or the other, just giving you the facts. Right now focus on doing well in undergrad. Don't focus too much on the end goal because things can change between now and then. Get high grades and take each step one at a time.

Good luck.

First, get into a medical school. That's one.

Two. You have no idea what the lifestyle of a neurosurgeon is like. Pretty much crap. You've yet to experience med. school and residency. After successfully completing those, you're more than qualified to express your specialized interest.

You have to go to med school- no undergrad degree, or any degree besides an MD or DO (or international medical degree) gives you the opportunity to become a neurosurgeon.
Like the above posters said, you sound like you are just now beginning to research the medical field, so find out as much as you can. Snoop around the forums; especially the Neurosurgery forum if that's what you are most interested in

:thumbup: good luck

First, get into a medical school. That's one.

Two. You have no idea what the lifestyle of a neurosurgeon is like. Pretty much crap. You've yet to experience med. school and residency. After successfully completing those, you're more than qualified to express your specialized interest.

A premed telling a pre-premed they have to experience residency before they are qualified to express a specialized interest. Only on SDN....

It's great that you are working/volunteering in the medical field. Just keep following your interests, major in whatever you want in undergrad, and keep your gpa high to keep your options open. As you get further along in college you may or may not decide to pursue medical school. If you do, SDN will be a valuable resource to you preparing for your MCAT exam and during the application process. You do not need to settle on a medical specialty until the beginning of your 4th year of medical school when you will apply to residency programs. Good luck to you!

^It only took four years for me to adopt that mindset. I was in a far worse situation when I kept a targeted focus on what I wanted.

If I just take what you experienced docs. are advising and apply it to myself appropriately, it reaps benefits.

Edit:

If you're that much into neurosurgery (perhaps even as much as I am), you can try taking neuroscience courses and do some research work in a lab that deals with neurons and the like. Personally, I chose to pursue a degree in biomedical engineering because it integrates multiple disciplines and will enable me to apply just a fragment of the vast knowledge to something applicable in medical science (could be neuroplasticity, neurogenesis, etc).

Also, if you're as dedicated as you assert to be, read a bunch of articles on NEJM for just for kicks and giggles (adequate past time IMHO).

However, even as much as I love neuroscience/neurosurgery/neurology, I never think twice to ignore the incredible amount of knowledge one can gain from studying other systems (which are truly fascinating in their own respect). I highly suggest you adopt the same principle.

Last edited:
Ok thank you :). I was just wondering. Since I work with Dr. Keith Black, one of my co-workers said that there was such a thing and I wanted to make sure.

Skipping the blatant name-dropping part: your co-worker, or your understanding of what was said, is a little off. Neurosurg is an amazing thing, but getting there is the same as any other specialty (like seelee said) -- college, medical school, intern/residency years.

I was kinda into neurosurgery for a little while, then shifted away from the field (and might shift to yet another field between now and a few years from now when I need to start worrying about residencies). Definitely keep an open mind; you never know what might pique your interest.